1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tell me about your Thinlines

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digital Larry, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

Here is my take on a thinline. Teletron.JPG

2. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

"...and my lowly Squier 70s. I like it a lot, the pickups are pretty good at the price"

I like the pickups too. Apparently nothing like the originals but they sound good to me.

3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I have a Shell Pink MIM thinline from the "car colors" series made in 2001, a very nice guitar overall, super-light, great neck -- but U-shaped and fairly hefty, may not be what you're looking for. Plays great, sounds great, though I did replace the stock 1 meg pots with something else (250k? 500k? can't remember, it was a while ago) and threw a pair of Lollar pickups in there. It's a very telecaster-sounding telecaster, if you know what I mean.

SparkleFart and Digital Larry like this.
  4. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

The genuine bona fide thinline "Bastardcaster" in my profile photo is my #1. It's a chambered mahogany body, maple top, maple neck.

It's actually getting a new neck (swapping for a maple fingerboard) and a new set of pickups (swapping the hot rail for a Quarter Pounder Tele, and upgrading the neck pickup to a SD Jazz) soon, so I'll have to get new pics once the mods are done.

Digital Larry likes this.
  5. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My first Thinline is out there somewhere ... just need to get things rolling to acquire one!

6. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

While we are talking about the lowly Squier here is my CV Thinline next to a couple of other T style guitars I have around here.

20200815_133940.jpg

gypsy jim, ejphotos, uriah1 and 5 others like this.
  7. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Here is my take on the thin-line theme
    upload_2020-10-31_21-38-42.png upload_2020-10-31_21-39-21.png Sapele body and neck - no truss-rod, but a thick carbon fibre rod, Birds-eye maple top, oil finish, Babicz hardtail bridge. Kinman P-90 Bucker pick-ups. Should have made this years ago, I'm very happy with it.

As to the tone, these pick-üps are great. Clear, transparent and yet rich and lush. The lower strings produce a dynamic "piano-string" twang that is unmatched by any other guitar I have ever tried - the light-weight aluminium bridge helps emphasize this characteristic. They are powerful, but not "Hot" sounding. I don't own a distortion pedal, just relying on the amp.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  8. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Cabro2.jpg

I've only had this about a month so I'm not sure what I'll being doing with it. The bridge pup is definitely meant to rock or blues out and it's got some nuances that make it sound really special to my ears.

Bridge pup is way clean. Not what I'm used to in a P-90. I don't know what the mid position might sound like coz it was wired wrong at the factory and I haven't gotten up the nerve to fix that on my own. And I'm in the high risk group for covid so I'm not hot to go up to my GC.

I did buy this online which is not something I usually do but times being what they are and this thing is pretty cheap so...

The chambered body is way more resonant than other Thinlines I've played but my experience is fairly lean with that. It adds to the vibe if nothing else.
    The neck is on par with all the Chinese CV necks. The Vintage Tall fret wire is amazing. I've not played too many guitars that the wire actually added to the nuance of my fiddling.

I'm anxious to get started using it on a project but I'm in the middle of another one so this will have to wait. But I play it every day getting some ideas and inspiration. Regular Tele Thinlines don't interest me much but I was going to pull the trigger on JA-90 a few months ago when they started production. But this Cab caught my eye and I actually like the simplicity of the controls. And the price...

Now if I can get the rewiring done I'll be in business.

Cheers

9. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

DSC03788.JPG

MIM Thinline, bought it used. It shipped in a single wall cardboard box with a single layer bubble wrap draped over it. Arrived without a scratch. It sounds and plays great. Love the U neck and the 7.25" radius. Really like the non-revoiced WRHB RI pickups even though people insist that I should hate them. They are clear and sparkly. Love this guitar.

gypsy jim, ejphotos, Jim622 and 5 others like this.
  10. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I stumbled onto a limites edition 68 Thinskin Thinline reissue a couple years back. Natural ash with nocaster pickups. It's got all-day-long resonance and weighs almost 4 pounds.

11. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

This is my favorite. Can't ask for more. Swamp ash, TV Jones classics, 1 piece neck.

20201031_171511.jpg
    And it's sibling. Not a thinline in the strictest sense but close. Fully chambered ash body.

20201031_171536.jpg

SamIV, gypsy jim, ejphotos and 7 others like this.
  12. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Vintage Brand with Wilkinson pickups and bridge . I wanted a Tele with a mini neck pickup and when I saw this one I had to have it. The neck is wired out of phase so the middle switch position is my favorite.
    53E498CD-3F37-43C2-B317-1CC1F7218281.jpeg

13. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I love Thinlines. I think they’re my perfect style of guitar. The one in my profile pic is my current, an Indonesian CV, which every one I’ve tried has been good.

I had an AVRI for a while, but really didn’t like the 7.25” radius and small frets. Sounded great though.

I’m positive another Thinline is in my future. But the CV is just a really good guitar in its own right.

14. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

I have the current Mexican Deluxe that comes with vintage noiseless pickups and can be found used for $700. Also has binding and the slightly easier access on the neck joint, and the 4 way switch, 12 inch radius. It quickly became my #1. Didn't previously realize how much the thinline adds on top of my already favorite tele tone.

15. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

MJT Sonic Blue Mahogany Body, Nitro finish
    Fender Road Worn Neck
    Klein 68 Paisley Pickups
    Bigsby-part B16, part B5 hybrid (very crudely put together by myself)
    Mastery Bridge
    Cream pickguard

SonicTeleRg_edit_bridgeplate.jpg

16. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Mine is an FSR ‘72 RI with matching painted headstock. I’ve changed the original chicken head knobs to regular chrome knurled ones, replaced the tuners with Kluson Revolutions, added an ashtray (for looks) and replaced the 250k pots with 500k pots. It’s now an awesome guitar! BD904AC4-3869-44D3-BED2-56A04FB8CF59.jpeg 8589234C-C95C-4D06-93C9-6820B2C0C54B.jpeg

17. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I have a 2002 MIM FSR 69 thinline i bought from a member here about 6 months or so ago. IMO it's the weight that contributes to the tone, which i absolutely love. I got into teles about 8 years ago and have owned a dozen of so and this is 1- the lightest i've owned at 6.5 Lbs and 2- the most quintessential tele like tone of them all. It has that uncompressed big fat sound w/o sacrificing highs and that note clarity where u hear every note in the chord. It's just so addicting that i have to force myself to pick up my other guitars. It's just so dynamic that it responds to every nuance of your playing, and that makes it really hard to put down.

My experience is that light guitar have those qualities, and IMO a solid tele can do the same if it's light but it's hard to find solid ones that light w/o going to custom shop stuff. But thats what i expect and want from a tele....it's not to say thats what i want all the time, and i have other guitars that have that more smooth compressed tone. But if i had to have only one tone my thinline would be the one. It is a tone that just lets you control it more than most guitars. It's the guitar that will make those who don't believe that "tone is in the hands" do a 180 on the subject.

SparkleFart likes this.
  18. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

I'll go...
    IMG_20180919_153356.jpg

19. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

20. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Here's my recently acquired Britt Daniel Thinline Tele...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.