1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tell me about your Thinline

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by stars, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Professor SourTone

Professor SourTone Tele-Meister

Mij Mahogany Thinline - I think circa 96 or so but can't remember - with old 50's Gibson GA-6, similar to a Deluxe but darker sounding. Kinman Broadcaster pickups, which sound nice in thios guitar.

[​IMG]

2. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Translucent red ProTone Thinline, Stew-Mac neck with rosewood board, otherwise mostly original. Haven't had it out in circulation lately but it's about due for its turn. The original pickups are back in it, they're surprisingly good. The original neck was very springy and the board was flatsawn the grain of which didn't please my eye at all, I prefer rosewood anyway.

3. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

i think the one thing i would mention as food for thought while you contemplate your build is that i seem to have found that thinlines have a certain thing going on I feel is good, but too much of it. It's a sound that is full and airy but also contributes to a less than clear articulate and solid tone. In a word, i feel they lack focus. They can sound sorta wooly and inarticulate. It's a great sound, but sort of a one trick pony that i'd never want to take to a gig without a second guitar. They seem to be awesome for clean but not so much for distortion tones. I don't think it's the semi hollowness itself, but the very light weight the hollowness causes. In other words, i feel all else being equal, a solid version that is a very light piece of wood might sound the same as a thinline version of a piece thats heavier wood but ends up weighing the same after being hollowed out. I could be wrong, but the point is if i were building one i'd look for a body thats a bit heavier than most thinlines. I have a heavier than normal 72 RI thinline and it just has a more solid tone than other much lighter thinlines i've had, and thats the one thing that always has me eventually selling them. I am absolutely in love with my 72 thinline. I do admit the strat style bridge is part of the reason tho. And the thing is, while it's not as light as most thinlines it's lighter than most solids. So it's real comfy but the tone is better in a way for me at least. anyways, if it were me i'd look for a weight between a typical TL weight and typical solid body weight.

4. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

Mine is a Squire Classic Vibe Thin line in Mahogany. I had it set up by a pro and the action is low and sleek and the pickups sound text, full of that juice twang. Awesome guitar for the 379.00 !

[​IMG]

Corey

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  5. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

2002 '69 Telecaster Thinline Reissue FSR in Daphne Blue (MIM)

Favorite guitar, ever. Initially i did not like the pickups, but I actually grew accustomed to them. I may change them in the future, but for now, they've won out over all others i've tried, even some boutique-level stuff.

Can't get enough of it !

Mods -
    bigsby b50
    250k pots
    Cream pickguard
    Replacement bridge tray - with slots cut for strings from bigsby

[​IMG]

6. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

That Black Nash is seriously smokin' ............ its just gone into my "Guitar Ideas" folder.

7. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

G&L made 250 of these back in the mid 90s. Fully chambered. No f-hole. Awesome guitar. My #1.

[​IMG]

P

8. LondonLefty

LondonLefty Tele-Meister

Here's my lefty nocaster thinline, all parts neck, not sure of the make, but ash body with white binding. Wilkinson hardware, since this photo I've upgraded to a joe barden bridge pick up.
    I leave it in open G tuning for those Keef moments.

Attached Files:

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I need to get moving and finish this little Thinline:

[​IMG]

I've finished a dozen of these control plates, I just need to commit and drill the holes and make the decision permanent but I keep crawfishing on it. Shame on me. But I've done some in brass, also.

Birdseye USACG cap, bubinga control plate from my template.

10. Kingtone

Kingtone Tele-Holic

I've had this thinline for a while now, she's a 2001 and was a gift from my son Nate. Great Tele, I've made a few Mods over the years,
    Fred Stuarts " Nancy " pickups
    Complete rewire, (cloth wire), cts 250k pots and 3 way switch
    Switchcraft Jack
    3 ply white parchment pickguard
    5/16 diameter steel saddles

[​IMG]

11. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

variantboy that is one awesome looking thinline. You win my vote.
    I plan on getting a custom thinline made by luke at rebel relic.
    Just saving my pennies for the big day...someday...

12. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

thanks rubyrae!! much appreciated!! Best of luck with the saving... it will be well worth it.

13. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm liking this a lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.