1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tell me about your Fender '63 RI Reverb Unit!

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by johmica, Mar 5, 2021.

1. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

I just purchased a used one to go with my new/used Orange AD30. I've listened to samples and reviews on the Tubes, but I'm curious to hear from folks in the TDPRI community while I wait for mine to arrive.

So, for those of you who own one or who have owned one in the past, what are your thoughts on these units?

2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I built my current tank and I had a reissue in the 90s. You will notice even when bypassed it will change your straight tone. I feel like it removes a little high end from the signal and adds a slight increase in gain. I would stick with the stock tube complement. The reverb sounds better to me that way. The tank sounds like it is being driven too hard with a 6V6, that is what I hear anyway. Also NOS 6K6gt tubes are cheaper than new, used, or NOS 6V6gts all day long. You probably won’t need to retube your reverb tank anyway the tubes aren’t being run beyond their limits. Good luck and enjoy your new tank.

johmica likes this.
  3. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

I’ve played originals, 70s SF models (4 tube versions), and reissues, and I currently use my own homemade version (based on the 6G15 with an added 4th tube buffer/parallel triode stage). I wouldn’t be without one.

As @J. Bonkosky says, there can be changes to the guitar tone when one of the units is in the signal chain, namely ‘tone suck’ where there is a loss of some high frequencies. This is dependent on the input impedance of the next component in the signal chain and is most apparent at high “Mix” settings on the unit. There are several ways to address this. In the 60s, we would set the unit on tone 10, dwell 10, and vary the mix from 2 (slight reverb) to 4+ (for surf) - minimizing the Mix setting reduces the tone suck. Some players add a compressor before the reverb unit which may also help. The preferred solution (imo) is to use a buffer which fixes the impedance. I use one of the Radial pedals which has a “drag” control; you can adjust that to adjust the impedance and eliminate that problem. In my homebuilt unit, I added a 4th tube buffer stage like the SF models to achieve the same effect. The other problem may be increased noise level (hiss or hum) which is very dependent on the 3rd tube (the 12AX7/7025). The best tube in your stash needs to be in this position.

johmica likes this.
  4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah...the above-mentioned tone suck is real...some think it's "warm".
    Again...mix low, dwell high minimizes this.
    I have a blackface and silverface one.
    As cool as a 64 BF 6G15 is, I prefer the sound of the silverface.
    I had read about the reissues sounding a little harsh/cold/whatever and I chalked it up to cork sniffery until I used one.
    It's true.
    Was the 6V6 used to minimize tone suck, or because they're so available?
    I don't know..
    But 6k6 tubes are cheap and available.
    I'm not sure if it's a plug in and play thing, or if the unit would need a bias adjustment, but it's the direction I would go if I had a RI.
    Have fun with it.
    The only real problem is, it makes it damn hard to accept any other reverb.
    Make sure it's on a solid surface.
    They do not get along well with portable festival stages and other manner of bouncy surfaces.
    And don't put it on the floor near your drummer, he'll kick it everytime he gets out from behind his kit.

That Cal Webway and johmica like this.
  5. Jipes

Jipes Tele-Meister

I had one and plug it in front of My Concert Amp and it was really cool. The only problem is the more equipment you have to carry for a gig the less happier you get so I end up selling it and play with a slapback delay instead. The sound was good but as always with spring reverb don't get too excited on stage otherwise it's getting funky and loud :lol:

johmica likes this.
  6. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Have you already received it yet?

If so how do you like yours?

7. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

It's out for delivery right now! I'll let you know as soon as I get it!

That Cal Webway likes this.
  8. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Grrrreat!!

9. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had one back in aughts that kept having solder joint issues. Hopefully they're made a bit more robustly these days. I bought mine after using a friend's genuine '65 tank. They were quite similar. Sounded lush, all that good stuff. Don't expect it to be as robustly made as an amp head. I also occasionally did the Bo Diddley trick of cranking the tank but leaving the spring clamp laying on top of the springs. It gives the guitar sound a weird, slightly clanky ambience. That said, I'd probably just go with a pedal these days (although I haven't seen one that gives you the "Bo" option).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.