Tell me about your Danelectro 59 NOS+.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Found a few threads that mentioned these, but nothing in depth. Looking for real deep, real world reviews/write ups from people who have preferably been gigging with them.

I don’t want the standard 59 because I want the matching painted headstock and fully intonatable bridge.

So who’s got one of these, and what’s the quality like?

I know it’s not going to be on par with my PRS. I know it’s going to be a Danelectro. I’m ok with that. I just do t want to have to do a bunch of work to a new guitar to make it work right.

Otisblove

Tele-Meister
9441766E-0534-4210-91CA-E60BE67BB86C.png I played my Danelectro 59M NOS+ tonight. I love it. If I only had one guitar, and this was the one I had, I’d be very happy.

Then I would buy a bunch more guitars for variety, of course.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
i have one i bought new 4-5 yrs ago. i have never gigged it, but i wouldn't be afraid to. it stays in tune very well and i can't think of anything wrong with it at all.

sorry that's not the review you need, others will do better.

posttoastie

Friend of Leo's
Saw a used Chinese model with adjustable bridge at Guitar Denter recently. The fret work was poor but that can be fixed. I had a late 90s Korean 56 U2 and the pickup switch was noisy and cheap feeling but that can be changed out.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Saw a used Chinese model with adjustable bridge at Guitar Denter recently. The fret work was poor but that can be fixed. I had a late 90s Korean 56 U2 and the pickup switch was noisy and cheap feeling but that can be changed out.
Sorry @Jakedog, just had to chime in, as we just don't get too many Dano threads!

Check out the 'mods' I just did to my '97 '56 U2 RI, this week ( the Dead stickers)

Very fun guitar lots of blues/R&R/ Country gigs- all stock except Grover mini tuners, over 20 years ago...

Attachments

• 20220623_175135.jpg
    20220623_175135.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220628_192402.jpg
    20220628_192402.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 10

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The new 59 NOS+ models are MIK. Supposedly quite nice for Danelectros. I mean let’s face it, these aren’t supposed to be top shelf guitars. They were student models made out of Masonite glued to a pine frame. I’m not looking to get boutique quality out of one. Just a really good modern Danelectro.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
i have one i bought new 4-5 yrs ago. i have never gigged it, but i wouldn't be afraid to. it stays in tune very well and i can't think of anything wrong with it at all.

sorry that's not the review you need, others will do better.
Actually, coming from you that’s very helpful.

SecretSquirrel

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I wasn't even shopping for another guitar when I killed some time at a music store in Seattle. They had two in stock, the blue metal flake played/was set up better. I went back the next day—a 180 mile round trip—to buy it.

I haven't done anything to it. The aluminum nut is 'cut' right, relief & action were 'just right' (for me anyway), and of course the sounds are uniquely and musically delicious!

Everybody hates the concentric knobs, I don't blame 'em. Oh well... good thing I don't adjust the knobs a lot. But I imagine one could adapt to them. The neck join is blocky, but typically on these guitars you're not shredding a lot above the 15th fret.

I haven't gigged it (bought it in the midst of a pandemic) but my previous Danelectro 59 (a 2003 model) held up fine at a dozen or so gigs with it. I only sold it because the other guitarist in the band fell in love with it. This new blue metal flake specimen I reckon I'll keep forever.

Hope this helps seal the deal...I think you should get one. ;)

00 Danelectro 59M - 02.jpg

00 Danelectro 59M - 01.jpg

fretbuzzard

Tele-Meister
I wasn't even shopping for another guitar when I killed some time at a music store in Seattle. They had two in stock, the blue metal flake played/was set up better. I went back the next day—a 180 mile round trip—to buy it.

I haven't done anything to it. The aluminum nut is 'cut' right, relief & action were 'just right' (for me anyway), and of course the sounds are uniquely and musically delicious!

Everybody hates the concentric knobs, I don't blame 'em. Oh well... good thing I don't adjust the knobs a lot. But I imagine one could adapt to them. The neck join is blocky, but typically on these guitars you're not shredding a lot above the 15th fret.

I haven't gigged it (bought it in the midst of a pandemic) but my previous Danelectro 59 (a 2003 model) held up fine at a dozen or so gigs with it. I only sold it because the other guitarist in the band fell in love with it. This new blue metal flake specimen I reckon I'll keep forever.

Hope this helps seal the deal...I think you should get one. ;)

View attachment 999862

View attachment 999863
I don’t usually go for metal flake paint, but that looks amazing.

basher

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
It’s not an NOS+, but my Korean Danelectro 59 12-string stays in tune the best of any of my guitars, which is just flat-out weird. And like @SecretSquirrel, I haven’t had to do anything to it—the setup and action were pretty much perfect from the get-go.

The middle position has the pickups in series, not parallel like most guitars. That might be a concern, I suppose.

McGoldTopp

TDPRI Member
Well I don’t own a prs anymore…

These are better. I have more expensive guitars but not necessarily better.

That badass style bridge is garbage. I have two in the junk drawer.

You want either a lightening bar or a pigtail style bridge. Intonate both E’s and the rest are magically in tune.

The 59 is only mildly outshone by my 99 first gen Korean U2. Quality is top notch.

I bought a second Ibanez lightening bridge for the 59 at next string change. Nice if you can find them.

If I had to jump up and run to a gig right now one or two of these are coming with me.

Last edited: