Stuff I like-

“Narrow Tall” frets.
Nitro
Aztec Gold

Stuff I don’t really care one way or the other about-

9.5” radius.
Not exactly “vintage correct”

Stuff I don’t like, but could probably live with-

Truss rod adjustment at the wrong end of the neck.

What’s the neck like? Owner says it’s too big for him. Is it bigger than my Silver Sky? Kinda the same? I know it has a soft V shape, which I generally like.

I’m leaning toward doing the deal, but it’s a two hour drive to make it happen. Any info from actual owners on what you like/dislike could be helpful.

Thanks!

PS- No. I am not getting rid of my Silver Sky.

Last edited:

wblynch

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I love the neck on mine. Realized I don’t like thin necks, they give me cramps. The thick neck just feels great. Of course the tone and finish are exquisite (Inca silver) and it smells great too.

deytookerjaabs

Friend of Leo's
I can't stand how thick those lacquer finishes are on the maple necks these days. You'll play the thing for years and it never feels like it's breaking in. I've sold off a couple USA 50's reissues because of it, there's no reason to cake on that much finish on your fretting surface...cheap mass production feel to'em.

Telepi

Friend of Leo's
I just bought a new white Ash 50s AO. It replaced a 57 CS strat I stupidly sold to help pay for a CS Gibson Les Paul Special. The AOs neck feels bigger than my former CS Strat. I like the AO neck more. Its glossy vs worn. That's an easy fix to degloss it. After a little work on the nut and a set up, it plays every bit as good as the CS did. The pick ups seem a little hotter too. Which I like. Overall, it's a keeper. Plays and sounds great.

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
The neck is pretty chunky. Not as much as an AO50's Tele, but it's definitely got some beef and not that much taper from fret 1 to 12. It sounds fantastic with the AV59 pickups in it. Overall it's a great Strat!