1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tell me about your amp setup

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tele-nova, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

JRtele likes this.
  2. bbetancourt

bbetancourt TDPRI Member

For my my café-gigs (acoustic Fingerstyle):
    All my acoustic guitars are equipped with SchattenDesign Artist HFN pickups and I go straight into a Fishman Loudbox mini charge.
    No outboard effects or equipment.

For the occational electric jamsession its
    Tele - Morley Wah - H&K Tubemeister 18 - homebrew 1x8 or 1x12 cab.

Cali Dude likes this.
  3. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Fender '65 Princeton Reverb reissue

Fender Mustang III V2

Roland Cube 40XL

2 x Engl Screamer 50 MK1

Cali Dude likes this.
  4. Muadzin

Muadzin TDPRI Member

IMG_20200929_143252.jpg

From top to bottom in the corner a 50w Marshall JCM-800 combo that needs fixing. Because whoever said that Marshalls are indestructible workhorses was talking out of their ass. Below that some real indestructible workhorses, a Fender Princeton Chorus, which is a solid state combo amp, and below that a Fender Vibrolux Reverb amp. One of the best tube amps I have, if only because with 2x10" it actually won't ruin your back lifting it around. I used to use the two Fenders together as part of a stereo rig. On the table another Marshall not living up to its reputation, a JCM-200 DSL-50. But at least that one has been fixed.

IMG_20200929_143321.jpg
    In my studio I have another Marshall of ill repute, a DSL-20. I mostly use it to put stuff on these days and occasionally for rehearsals of a Audioslave tribute band I'm. Or was in. I don't know these days of lockdowns and no gigs.
    IMG_20200929_143333.jpg

On top of the cable chaos is what I mostly use these days, an Axe-FX XL. Cause that does everything I need it to do, amps and FX, without having angry mobs with burning torches and pitchforks appear at my doorstep.

IMG_20170125_215848.jpg
    IMG_20170125_215927.jpg

My old and still current live rig, Axe-FX XL+ into a Matrix 1000 stereo power amp into two cabs, the Egnater currently acting as a prop stand in my studio and a Palmer FRFR cab.

tele-nova and greenhornet like this.
  5. Linc Gray

Linc Gray Tele-Holic

My go to amp is a Tweed Deluxe 57RI. I’ve had it for about 12 years and use it for gigs with Tele’s or Strat’s.
    It is so versatile.

Cali Dude likes this.
  6. lavrgs

lavrgs TDPRI Member

Lately I've been playing a 1974x clone the most. It's taken a long time to figure out how to tame this beast to play at home. Originally it was in a 1x12 combo but I moved it to a head cab and 1x12 closed back cab to darken it up. I have found a use for guitar volume controls...18 watts (with no master) is freaking loud at home. At first I thought it was a Tele amp but lately it seems to sound best with a Les Paul. I've never been a tremolo guy but with the knobs pointed to off the is a nice subtle swell. IMG_1107.jpg
    The head cab was built for a Boothill 5E3 clone, which has also been hard to tame - 12 watts measured. The 5E3 was built in a similar chassis to the 1974x so they could share cabinets. Boothill 5e3.JPG For many years my Allen Accomplice was my daily player but as I built the others it has seen less action.
    I suffer from TMS... so the music room has a variety of amps...Reeves Space Cowboy - wondering why it doesn't get played every day, '67 Fender Bassman, Roland JC120 - man can that push some air, Aguilar Tonehammer 500. Both bass amps share a Music Man 2x10 cab. Line 6 MEH for when I was gigging at places with suspect power. There are others but I'll stop there...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    greenhornet and Cali Dude like this.
  7. LittleSonny

LittleSonny TDPRI Member

1966 Fender Princeton-Reverb is my main amp. It has a period correct Jensen c10n but I have an Alessandro 12" mounted to a 2nd baffle if I choose. The 12 gives me more volume and headroom. No pictures I'm afraid. The PR is on loan to my good friend and producer's studio as there are no gigs at the moment.

I had a 1966 Fender Deluxe non-reverb which was my gigging amp but I sold it as the PR became the one I would opt for more often. The Deluxe non-reverb is a fantastic amp. Contrary to popular belief it is not simply a DR without the R. It has a sound of it's own. I had two of them at one point.

I've also got a 61 Gibson GA-6 Lancer which I mainly use for harmonica but it a low volume great blues amp with a Tele. A poor man's tweed Deluxe.

I use an AER Combo 60/3 for acoustic brewery/winery solo/duo gigs with a ToneDexter in front. Fantastic set up. Give studio quality sound in a live situation.

Cali Dude likes this.
  8. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

I do not understand your singular usage of the word "amps"

alathIN likes this.
  9. shibaku

shibaku NEW MEMBER! Silver Supporter

Vintage Sound AA1164 (aka Princeton Reverb) through a 12" Weber California. Also a Swart Night Light Jr. installed in the back for when other people are in the house. With the attenuator bypassed, it gets loud enough that I only have to mic the cab when I'm playing with a loud drummer.

Both the amp and the tele were lucky craigslist finds. Love love LOVE this combo. It's all I have and all I need.

PXL_20200929_135909380.jpg

Treehouse, greenhornet and Cali Dude like this.
  10. ayjaydee

ayjaydee TDPRI Member

Helix LT, straight to the desk!

11. Frank Entele

Frank Entele TDPRI Member

Small amps are great, but there’s no substitute for cubic inches. So:

(small) ‘56-7 Danelectro 4-5 w - 6.5” speaker
    ‘65 Silvertone/Dano 1482, Brown label c12q
    72 SFDR, ‘black faced’, Alltone 1250
    ‘67 SFSR (blackline, build December ‘67)
    ‘99 JTM45 head with a blueprint ptp board/Sozo’s/Benelux KT66’s, Marstran trannies

Mix ‘n match cabs with SFDR, JTM and the 1482 (added 4 & 8 jacks):

4x12 straight faced avatar cab, Weber 1230-55’s on bottom, Greenbacks on top
    2x12 convertible back, currently an Alltone 1250 & a ‘56 Maggie ‘p232/p12’
    1x12 open back with a ‘60 Jensen P12n

Les Pauls love more speakers, Tele does great with any combo, Strat prefers smaller speaker set up, Sheraton II works with all and SG’s don’t care as long as it’s roaring loud.

yes, all and only at home.

Cali Dude likes this.
  12. jumpbluesdude

jumpbluesdude TDPRI Member

I have a few. I'd be a better guitar player if I wasn't always chasing tone.
    Soldano SLO clone, 50 watt(do you really need 100?) I built with O'netics transformers and modified the clean/crunch to be both panel and foot switchable.
    1960 Harvard - only filter caps. Repro cabinet and a Weber 10.
    1963 AC30 - restored with teflon-coated silver wire. toddler + wire cutters = "restored"
    1962 Bassman - filter caps and minor tweaks before me.
    Hi-watt - 80's era, LOUD and noisy. Long term working project.
    Marshall Class 5 - a terrible sounding amp I am attempting to modify so it sounds decent
    1979 Fender Princeton Reverb - Bassman transformers and a tweaked Dumble ODS circuit
    PA conversion to a Tweed Deluxe - they NEVER sound right unless you lay them out like Leo.
    On deck:
    Hammond A100 organ chassis with a pair of el84
    Gutted Egnator Tweaker 15 chassis waiting for inspiration.

For you guys that can't play your amps loud - I can't say enough about the Rivera Rockcrusher if you are looking for an attenuator. Some amps it doesn't lke and they sound buzzy if you attenuated to bedroom level, but on most I've tried, its pretty transparent. My AC30, Bassman, and Harvard love it. The other amps have Master Volume, so no worries.

hotrodkid, willholt92 and Cali Dude like this.
  13. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Sweet.

14. Dr.StainedGlove

Dr.StainedGlove TDPRI Member

Homemade deluxe reverb with super reverb tone stack and channels jumperable.

Attached Files:

Arfage likes this.
  15. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

I have 2 currently in my humble home set up.

Blackstar HT1R 1 watt head running through a tweed 1x10 cab I built, fitted with a Celestion Greenback G10. Love this little amp it's the perfect home amp for me. It has a Mullard 12AX7 in V1.

My second is my home built Tweed Princeton 5F2A, I built this into my old Fender Frontman amp which was my first ever amp, a sort of mini black face in disguise. I added Negative feedback mod, and a middle control from Rob Rob's awesome website, also a cut switch on the tone pot to remove the tone and middle circuit to give a kind of Champ(ish) tone.
    I have a Jupiter speaker fitted too.

I run these both separately and in stereo depending on what I'm feeling.
    When in Stereo I run the Blackstar Wet through my board; delay, reverb, and modulation. With Fuzz thrown in for good measure.
    The ABY splits and goes straight into the Princeton providing the dry. (I also have an amp top Treble booster which makes this thing scream even more.
    I find these two amps being so very different work well in Stereo or Wet/dry.

I'm currently in the middle of building a Micro JTM 45 from Rob's site and a matching 2x10 cab with Celestion Alnico Golds

IMG_1669.JPG

IMG_1304.JPG IMG_1736 (1).JPG

stevemc, hotrodkid, Treehouse and 4 others like this.
  16. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

I'll see if I can get pictures later but I have a 67 Twin, a modern AC30 and now a Dr. Z Prescription ES head with a THD 2x12 with Mojotone 12M and 12H in it. The Z on my Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks is the ultimate.

tele-nova and Cali Dude like this.
  17. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Looks really cool, but What the heck is a princeton Champ, and all the Fender writing? Is it a kit or a Fender?

willholt92 likes this.
  18. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Haha a bit of artistic licensing on my part.

I built it from a Mojo tone 5F2A Tweed Princeton kit but designed my own chassis to fit my Fender Frontman cab. The 'Champ' bit is for the tone stack switch, removing the Tone and Middle control kind of gives the champ circuit. So depending on if the switch is on or off, it is a princeton or a champ(ish).

I purposefully made it like a blackface Princeton to throw people off a little bit. Cool amp, and a great way to reuse a Fender Frontman 15R if you have one lying around

Treehouse, Cali Dude and Arfage like this.
  19. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

So I have two amps and one effect, all built by me.

In this picture:
    Trinity TC-15 kit (Vox/Matchless family). It's loud thus the Weber MiniMass attenuator sitting on top.
    The cab is a 2 x 12 with a Weber F12F125 and a Celestion G12H30. It has an angled baffle which I like. It is the heaviest speaker cabinet in the history of the universe, which is less desirable.
    The bare chassis sitting on top of the oscilloscope is a Weber ReVibe (I built the chassis, but haven't gotten around to making a cabinet for it). ReVibe = copy of the old Fender standalone reverb unit plus Jeff Goering's version of the Fender 4-triode harmonic tremolo. The reverb will do lush to subtle and harmonic tremolo is of course divine.
    I also put a preamp in the same chassis with the ReVibe - pretty much a copy of the JCM 800 high gain channel. When I use this I plug it in to the TC15's effects loop return thus "borrowing" the TC15 output stage.
    20200929_112413.jpg

In this picture:
    My own FrankenAmp.
    All Soviet tubes.
    One preamp channel, the phase inverter, and the output section are copied from Rob Robinette's 1 watt RR763 "micro" amp. Designed to get saturation etc without breaking all the windows in the house.
    The other channel is an EF86 preamp similar to the TC-15 Channel 1, but sounds really different through this output section.
    I lifted the reverb on this amp from the Fender Vibro King - so it uses an EF86 (Soviet equivalent) for the reverb driver.
    The reverb on this amp is totally different than the ReVibe. I'm not sure exactly how to characterize the difference. If it was a delay, I would say that there is not as much feedback - but that's not an exact comparison with reverb.
    Two of my favorite features on this amp:
    1) the channel 1 (AB763-ish) volume knob is push-pull for normal vs cold bias on V1. With cold bias it gets overdrive tones closer to the Marshall family.
    2) the power stage has a "tight" switch - to keep the low end from getting muddy when playing with high gain. Learned a nice trick how to do this from a Bruce Egnater suggestion on a different forum.
    20200929_112426.jpg

You might have gotten the idea that I am an inveterate tinkerer.
    This would not be inaccurate.

tele-nova and Cali Dude like this.
  20. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Ha! That's awesome. I love Mojotone, they're a great company and I love and use their speakers. I kept a broken Sidekick 25 around just for that but never got around to it. Nice job!

willholt92 and greenhornet like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.