Tell me about your amp setup

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tele-nova, Sep 27, 2020.

1. tele-nova

tele-nova TDPRI Member

We all know that telecasters rock. No doubt about it. What I want to know is what amps you guys are using. Do you have one workhorse? Do you use a stereo rig? Do you a/b two amps? What is your favorite all time amp you have personally used? Do you prefer combos or head and cab setups?

I love my guitars but I have become a little obsessed with amps lately. The more the merrier.

Pictures of your rigs encouraged.

2. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

Well since you asked..
    93F73BD8-58A8-4D0E-97D9-C3CB652E4831.jpeg
    Telecasters get played through a 68 Deuxe Reverb (with a Fryette PS attenuator).
    Les Pauls get run through a Marshall DSL15.
    Blackstar is purely for work trips or to use as a Bluetooth to play along to a song.

3. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes.... for my bass a 500W s/s amp, for my guitar a 25W valve amp, and for my acoustic an acoustic amp. I can't seem to mix and match (guitar sounds crappy through bass amp, bass sounds crappy through valve amp).

So yes ... one amp for each type of guitar.

If I had to decide on only one amp :(, it would be the acoustic amp (acoustic sounds good and others sound reasonable).

Greggorios and Cali Dude like this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a small amps guy anymore.

Even though I play a lot of gigs, the venues I play ( Wineries/Brewpubs, restaurants, house parties), and the kind of music we play ( all old R&R, blues, Surf, Country) doesn't need a lot of volume or gain. Plus I have a chronic bad back.

I use use a few dynamic 'Always ON' OD pedals to get a cranked amp tone at low volume and control things from my guitar Volume knob.

My 'big gig' amp is a Blues Jr., then Fender Frontman, Vox Pathfinder and Fishman Loudbox Mini for solo acoustc gigs: 20200623_163716.jpg
    20200330_162200.jpg 00606_akEg5eS3VH0_1200x900.jpg loudboxminiamplifier1_large-768x768.jpg

** Would LOVE a real Vibro Champ someday, but they just cost too much! ( even the clones)

'

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  5. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

Haven't got any good photos of my amps*, but here's what I have at my disposal:

Combos:

Peavey Windsor Studio
    Bugera V5
    Fender Mustang I

Heads:

Vox AC15C
    Jet City JCA20HV

Cabs:

Peavey 1x12
    Marshall 1965a 4x10

*edited to add that the photo is from when I was moving stuff around, but it doesn't have everything.

Attached Files:

Cali Dude and tele-nova like this.
  6. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I have an AC10 for home, and for jamming with my friends I use no amp at all. I actually use a Mooer Radar straight to the board. Sounds great.

Greggorios and Cali Dude like this.
  7. tele-nova

tele-nova TDPRI Member

My current amp situation 20200925_103130.jpg

8. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Generally my Princeton for gigs but sometimes my Ampeg J20, or an Egnator Tweaker.
    I prefer combos and like to travel as light as possible.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

djayeff, Jim W, Treehouse and 7 others like this.
  9. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

My darn phone won't upload the pictures for some reason. My Tele is a G&L Z-3 semihollow. I typically play it through a tweed Harvard, a Tone King Gremlin, or a Clapton vibro champ. I have bigger amps, but at home they don't get played as much these days with no gigs.

Greggorios, CV Jee Beez and tele-nova like this.
  10. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

5C28DB1E-303F-4595-9DE9-7FBEEAC919FF.jpeg Been playing and chasing gear since 1985 so I’ve had my fair share of amps. Mostly early 70’s and 80’s Marshalls, a few vintage Fenders, several Boogie Mark II’s and III’s. I also went through a boutique craze about ten years ago of tweeds and D-style amps. After all that I settled on two tweed Bassman amps. First one a HW Marsh clone (avatar) and recently a 1993 Fender ‘59 reissue (pictured)

I had another early 90’s Fender ‘59 Bassman reissue years ago and mistakenly sold it. But it left a lasting impression on me. The sound is so full yet cutting. And for such an old design the amps hold many cool tones. These are my ride into the sunset amps. For me nothing beats a Strat or Tele plugged into a tweed Bassman.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I use a mojo-less 10 year old Roland Cube 80XL for 95% of my guitar wrangling.
    I even use it for low volume bass gigs.
    No pedals, just a 10 foot right angle/straight cable.
    I use all it’s great sounding (IMO) features.
    I wish Roland/Boss would re-instate the line

elihu, codamedia, 8trackmind and 5 others like this.
  12. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

198DABCA-B669-432F-9485-270EE6452BD7.jpeg

Savage Macht 6, my only amp at the moment. I think about going stereo, and try other amps, but I’m really loving this amp. It sounds how I want it to, it’s the perfect wattage for my purposes, sounds big at a volume that won’t get the cops called.

I don’t know, been through a lot of amps over the years, but I’m really happy with this one for where I’m at in life right now.

13. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I have a 90's The Twin because I was curious & it was cheap. I never use it & have loaned it to a friend for an undetermined amount of time (until he decides to buy it or give it back. Lol).

I have a 75 Twin Reverb because I always wanted one. I have no actual need for it & the other guitar player in my band uses it so he doesn't have to lug his amp around.

My Workhorse amp is a 90's MIA Hot Rod DeVille 410. It's a great amp that takes pedals well & always delivers what I want. It's clean channel can be a little muddy but that is solved by using a Shift Line Twin Preamp in the effects loop.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=shif...afari&prmd=sivn&hl=en-ca#imgrc=Qlj76ZmYL_IO2M

My favorite amp? Get ready for it......

Johnson Millennium 150. I won't pretend it takes the place of everything its trying to mimic but it does what it does fantastically. I wish they still made them. I wish mine wasn't so old that I was afraid to use it more often. It has & does everything I want in one package. With it I can do anything I want anywhere I want to do it. But it lives at home now & I won't take it anywhere. It's semi-retired.
    image.jpeg
    20170726_104209.jpg

14. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I’m partial to my Tweaker 15w head through a 1x12...if I decide stereo, I run the Tweaker on “USA” (Fender-ish setting) along with my Fender Rumble 25 (sounds damn good as a guitar amp)...I have a crappy Epi SS amp, which is pretty useless, and a Valve Jr - a one trick pony that doesn’t sound so good with a few of my guitars

stevemc and CV Jee Beez like this.
  15. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

I've wanted to own one of those since the second I saw an ad for one in Guitar World magazine.

I miss the hell out of my old J-Station. Sounded way better than what Line 6 had at the time but just never caught on.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I gotta lotta amps but mostly use a hand wired 18w Marshall TMB clone.
    Great fat cleans and great dirt when cranked or dirt from pedals.
    Maxon AD900 for some room sound.

17. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

It was expensive & had a huge learning curve. Purists didn't like it & I think they were not the most reliable for a touring band. It has a habit of hiding each guitars individual mojo.

All that aside every guitar I plug into it sounds like a million bucks no matter what it is. I can play at any volume & achieve the sound I want. I can run direct into a mixing console for a massive sound live. I can run mono or stereo at will. There's a seemingly endless amount of tone shaping options, all the effects are very high quality & everything is incredibly "tweakable".

SomeGuyNamedRob likes this.
  18. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

My current setup. A 63 bandmaster and when I’m playing bass I have the yba300 and matching Traynor 8x10 cabinet. I also have a 59 bassman reissue that’s been getting a lot of play time BCB05993-B8B1-4F90-A696-E96E6B4C9DC7.jpeg 69346882-4D0C-4CDF-9FE3-B67B008C7365.jpeg

19. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Peavey Classic20MH through Braveheart pair of cabs (one open back, one closed. Really well-made cabs, birch wood), monster tone. Also, a vintage Peavey Triumph 60 head through a peavey mid-80s large ported 2x12 cab. That one rocks arenas.

Also, an assortment of 80s era Peavey amps, some tube, some SS. I like Peavey amps, what can I say.
    IMG_20190731_174252080.jpg 20180820_133030.jpg 20181120_084013-1.jpg 20181110_105009.jpg

20. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

Just added a Vox AC15C1 to add to my Marshall DSL40CR. My noodling home studio sounds the last couple of weeks have gravitated from amp sims to these two amps. I play them some through the speakers, but mostly with impulse responses loaded into my HX Stomp fed into my computer.

DBF77265-3BD0-4F3E-916F-6F154C732C0E.jpeg

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.