1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tell me about the "Starter Pack" Affinity Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Squawker, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

This is the Strat pack.....

https://shop.fender.com/en-NO/squie...ster/squier-stratocaster-pack/0371823632.html

I'm don't know Strats well enough to say if it's full thickness or not, but my gut feeling is not. It says neither Bullet nor Affinity on the headstock, so I'm not sure what you'd call it. Haven't looked into fixing it up yet - but definitely need some better tuners (they're the Squier 2-pin style, so I guess not the same as US/MIM 2-pin), and I have a 42mm bone nut to throw on it. Fret polish also desperately needed.

2. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Now.....What are you going to do with that Strat?

3. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

The newer strat packs come with the Affinity. The older ones just say "Squire Strat" on the headstock and are referred to as SE's. If yours doesn't have Affinity on the headstock, it sounds like you scored both a full thickness strat and tele.

Change the tuners and trem block, and you will have a very nice strat. Update the pickups and electronics too, and it will be as nice as any strat out there.

4. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

It has an ICS19... serial number. Body is 39mm at the cavity, so thin. Neck is I guess what you'd call satin finish, and there are some tooling marks/roughness at the heel and behind the nut. Scotchbrite helped, and gently scouring the whole neck made it feel very nice and smooth. Headstock is virtually unfinished maple as far as I can make out. The cavities were painted with conductive paint, which is nice. Front and rear routes would both take a humbucker.

Tuners feel cheap. Nut is plastic and the string trees are misaligned and crooked! Frets are gritty and need a polish. But the Indian Laurel board looks and feels nice, and I like narrow tall frets.

If I can find a cheap and cheerful tremblock upgrade to drop in there and maybe an HSS loaded guard then I reckon it could be fun. I mean, what have I got to lose?

5. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

The SE series is great because MIM and USA parts screw right on in my experience

6. markovicfamily

markovicfamily NEW MEMBER!

Great neck and solid rest Photo2919.jpg Photo2918.jpg

FortyEight, Squawker and bls82261 like this.
  7. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.