Tell me about the Music Man 112 RD 65.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I’ve been offered one in trade. I’m intrigued. Not sure whether to do it, though. I’ve had a couple hundred amps probably, but never a Music Man. It’s my understanding that they’re a great pedal platform. That would be good for me.

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
Wonderful amp. One of my best friends has had one for 35 or so years and I've got hundreds of hours playing alongside it. Deep brown tone with nice break up; put a Les Paul through it and you'll be in heaven. If the price is reasonable I'd get it.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
I met Leo Fender when I was a teenager. He had just brought over one of his new Music Man amps for my friends dad to try. Les Tuttle and Leo Fender were BFF's having grown up together. Les used to give Leo feedback on the guitars and amps since Leo didn't play guitar.

After Leo sold Fender to CBS, they gave him a big room and promptly shut him out of development. His revenge was to quit, release all his designs to public domain and create Music Man amps and G&L guitars....

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
IIRC, didnt Albert Lee use one back in the 90's? I've played several as backline amps and enjoyed them. The built in distortion isn't that great but they do take pedals very well with lots of clean headroom.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
I loved my Musicman amps... played them for more than 20 years.
Mine with the Sixty-Five's... which is a half wattage HD130. If the Sixty-Fives were 1x12's I'd probably still own them.

I've never played or owned an RD (Reverb/Distortion) or an RP (Reverb/Phase) but only because you don't see them around here at all. I can't imagine they are that much different. Great, clean, loud, pedal platforms.

SlideGuy123

Tele-Meister
That was my first amp! Unbelievably loud and clean (also heavier than you’d expect). Solidly built too. i didn’t understand enough about amps back then to get the most out of it, but if you’re looking for Fendery cleans with headroom and volume to spare, here it is.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
IRRC
the RD was 6L6 with a transistor phase inverter, the early HD was EL34 with a valve phase inverter.
They do sound different. The RD closer to a Roland JC120, The HD more like a good Twin or a HiWatt.
Clapton, Knopfler, Albert used the HD's.

If you check SRV at montreux 82 there is a hired Musicman behind him that is Miced up.
With 2 other Fender Amps to the side.

Last edited:

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
Incredibly overbuilt and reliable. Low maintenance due to low heat on the tubes. Super fast and articulate, if that is your style. I can see why it worked great for people like Chet Atkins, Albert Lee, Johnny Winter, and Eddie Hazel - very intricate players. But there is a certain lack of bloom and softness to them that the all-tube amps have. I thought Mick Ronson and Clapton sounded better thru other amps compared to their Music Mans.

I had the same model with built-in phaser instead of the distortion circuit. But cranking the gain on it gave a pretty nice overdrive anyway, especially with humbuckers. Not overly gainy, but enough for like Duane and Dickey at Fillmore East.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
the RD was 6L6 with a transistor phase inverter, the early HD was EL34 with a valve phase inverter.

This is more "timeline" than "model"....

* The HD's has a tube PI until about '76... then went SS.
* The HD's used EL34's until about '79... then they transitioned to 6L6's
* In all incarnations... they sounded pretty much the same.

I don't know enough about the RD's and RP's timeline & changes to comment on those.
What I do know is that an early 80's RD would be 6L6 and SS PI.... but so was the HD by that point ;)

The HD more like a good Twin or a HiWatt.

I don't think they sound anything like Twins even though they look almost exactly like them.
I would agree on the HiWatt comparison though :)

Albert Lee, Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler used Musicman amps in the past.

Nobody else may care... but I'll point out that Joan Jett was also a Musicman user (still is)... as was a Canadian icon named Brian "Too Loud" McLeod. People that think Musicmans have weak distortion have simply never learned how to use it in that way.

Last edited:

czech-one-2

Friend of Leo's
IRRC
They do sound different. The RD closer to a Roland JC120, The HD more like a good Twin or a
I own a Jc-120 but gig with an RD-50 1X10 w/ EVI 10. Really, they sound nothing alike except that neither will distort.
Joe Strummer was another MusicMan user.