Tell me about Rivera-era Fenders

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jericho60, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Tremo

Tremo Banned

I've seen Carlton a couple times, he is awesome, if you like that kind of music. I do kinda get tired of the Dumble tone however.

I know Jay Graydon personally. Nice guy, great player. He explained to me what the Rivera mods to his DR involved.

2. Caper

Caper Friend of Leo's

I had a mint PRII that was a great amp, very well built, the only problem I had was a weak solder connection. Got it fixed and never had another problem. As a matter of fact I just bought a mint Super Champ, what a dynamite little amp. I have the original speaker but prefer the sound of a JBL, as a matter of fact just put a JBL in my SFPR too, WOW. Talk about punch.
    [​IMG]

3. goldenhound

goldenhound TDPRI Member

The Twin Reverb ll channel switching, early to mid 80's amp WAS a Rivera-era amp. All tube, hand-wired, loud and lovely, and produced a double hernia if it had the EV-12's in it.

NONE of the red knob amps Fender sold were made by Rivera or his team. And certainly not the red knob Concerts.

The Rivera-era Concert (ll) was 60 all tube watts, channel-switching, black-faced, with traditional Fender black knobs. And with a Fender Special design ElectroVoice (EV12) speaker, you would need a back brace, and to see a Chiropractor, and get a hernia operation to lift it into the equipment truck.

This is no light weight amp with the EV12. The Gain Channel was OK for overdrive. But, the amp came fully into its own when modded with the Dan Torres channel switching amp kit. I mean WOW! With the kit and a pair of Eurotubes JJ 6L6GC tubes, open the windows, or be prepared to replace them, when it blows them out.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 4:12 AM
  4. goldenhound

goldenhound TDPRI Member

My Rivera Concert (ll) combo has a pine cabinet. It's a heavy amp with the Jensen 12" speaker in the base version Concert. The transformer is big, it's a tube amp. The EV12 speaker adds about 20 lbs. I put wheels on it. The holes are already pre drilled - just push them thru the vinyl at each bottom corner.

The Fender 75 had a lot of promise, I thought, and I almost bought one in '80. Again, not a great overdrive sound. Pull-out Boost circuits on the Treble, Mid, and Bass controls.

The 75 was released before Paul Rivera was on Fender's R&D staff. The Fender 75 was designed by Ed Jahns.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.