tell me about fender pro reverb amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cbnutt, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Intersting timing, I had not read the Jimmy Herring article in the latest Guitar PLayer I'd picked up and now I'm reading it and he uses a Pro Reverb to record but he changed ut the speakers for Tone Tubbies, so that's another appplication where it's probably a god amp. I think that the speaker change probably fixes some of the "mushy" distortion problems, but I'v never heard one with swapped speakers so I'm just guessing...

Interstingly (and somewhat relevant to what others and I ahve said) he uses a Super Reverb for his ive rig, so clearly he feels the same way about the SR -vs- Pro asa live amp as I do. SR > Pro for live performances...

Cheers

Dave

2. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

The Pro Reverb is like a less powerful twin. Heck, with the smaller output transformer, it's not even going to hold up to a Super, as was stated above. Yes, it can be unwieldy to move around, especially when more heavy duty speakers are added.

For me, it has that 2-12 sound that I love, and the classic Blackface tone that I love, but it's less bright and strident as compared to a twin. When I'm playing it with a louder band, I'll pull the tube rectifier and put in a SS rectifier plug in. Plus, it's not as if it has never been too quiet. At most clubs I'd turn it to 4 and be told to turn down. I'd go down to 3, which is the minimum needed to have the amp sound good, and it'd still be too loud for some places.

I'd probably be fine with a Deluxe Reverb (so long as you clipped the bright cap out), but I'd really miss that sound of the 2-12s right next to each other.

I totally understand the criticism. The Pro Reverb could be the worst of both worlds to some people; as big and heavy as a twin, but without the serious big amp response. To me, I find strength in the tone, and the size is an unfortunate necessity of my cabinet preference :)

Cheers!
    Ben

3. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Interesting thoughts aye. Good insight from someone experienced playing them, and spot on about how I was feling about the size>output thing. I didn't have the faculty's to express it that way ;) . I agree with liking a 2x12 set-up, I find my 50w 2x12 has a lot more bass responce then the SRRIs 4x10 coonfig my bandmate plays with. I love his Super, but I prefer my C50 for my tone. Have you played through the various version of the Pro or just your BF version??? I ask because I was playing through a SF last night and I was haveing a hell of a time getting comfortable on it and I'm wondering if there is a large ammount of difference in the various versions or if it's been more cosmetic then anything??? Does the BF have a Master or is that what they're talking about in refrence to not being "built around amaster" meaning the BF didn't have it but they added it to the SF at the next make-over???

Cheers

Dave

4. supersam

supersam Tele-Meister

I absolutely love my '74 non master volume model I just picked up! It's definitely not light, but sounds really good, and has more power than I'd ever need. At 4 it's got a very loud and punchy clean tone, and after that it starts to break up. I can't imagine playing over 4 without pissing everyone off.

5. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

In the 90s I briefly had a MV Pro Reverb, and it sounded great. It did sounds a little brighter and stiffer than the non-MV blackface and early silverface versions.

6. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

I have a Bandmaster Reverb which is basically a Super Reverb with the same basic output transformer as the Vibrolux and the Pro Reverb. Set the Mid control on 5 or 6 and if you run it through an open back 2 x 10" it sounds like a Vibrolux, a 2 x12" does a pretty good pro imitation. A few years ago I installed a multitap Allen transformer so I can run it into 2,4 or 8 ohm loads. I've tried it with about every speaker configuration when it was a head, and now it's in a combo cab with a 15" Weber speaker. It does have a much more solid bottom end, but somtimes the extra headroom isn't needed as the amp is on the edge of being too lout to really open it up and sing. I also owned a early 70's Pro Reverb, a 67 Super Reverb and could compare all of them side by side, so I'm quite familiar with how that chassis performs.

Most of the black/silver era amps with a 2 x 6L6 output are very similar and all of them were designed without a master volume, and the ones made with a MV added to them are not usually regarded as the best of the breed. (I have heard people use them to good effect, though) Any sonic differences between them are largely due to the speakers they use, and to a lesser extent the output transformer. Most silverface ones can also easily modified to blackface specs with the earlier they are manufactured, the easier they are to to convert being a good rule of thumb.

7. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Interesting, thanks for the education guys...

Cheers

Dave

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.