tell me about fender pro reverb amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cbnutt, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I got a 77 Pro Reverb UL - master volume. I play it with master at full & forget

It's got its own thing going - the mids sit a bit higher than the typical bf/sf amps,- still great amp. Got it for $400 or something, minty

If this clean - or its tone in general - was put out by a newish amp - say DrZ or 2 Rock - everybody would be praising & it would sell for $5,000.

2. RedRock

RedRock Tele-Holic

You are so right.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Anyone have an earlier, 1x15" Pro? I checked the field guide and Fender switched to 2x12" in the Blackface Reverb. A Blackface no-reverb, brown or tweed would have a 15" speaker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the jazz forum we were wondering what Fender combo amp comes closest to being "1/2 a Twin" (40ish watts, a pair of 6L6s, 1x12", 40lbs, and most importantly: a blackface sounding tone stack) and I think it could be the brown Pro or non-reverb Pro, if you don't mind the 15" speaker. Or would you recommend another Fender combo?

4. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I would say half a Twin would be a 64 Vibroverb. 40 watts, 6L6, but most important is speaker surface, is also almost half, as well.

5. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Half a Twin could be the Fender Concert II 112 from the Riviera-era 1980s. 60 watt, 2 6L6 amp with 1 12 inch speaker. They were some of the last handwired Fender amps made in Fullerton. But they don't have tremolo like a Twin.

6. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Who ever revived it did have great timing..

7. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Don't count out the bandmaster reverb- my understanding is that it is a pro reverb in head form. It can get mushy above 6 or so on the volume knob. The super reverb is louder and cleaner.

8. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

I think the Bandmaster platform is known to have a smaller output transformer, consequently tends to saturate a bit earlier than some of the other 40-watt models......

I think many times, the revival of a older thread can be relevant....as is shown in the helpful banter that's currently going on here. There's often a wealth of info in the earlier parts of these threads...and what better way to capture all that info, than to continue a previous conversation?!

Rock on.

9. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

There's a local supposedly '67 Pro Reverb listed for sale online currently for $750. That seems to be right on the line between SF and BF?

Would folks here consider that a good price? Apparently as w/all old Fenders BF ones sell for more, even though from what I see here a '67 would still have the same circuit, even if cosmetically SF?

Unfortunately am currently broke as a joke but could be coming into some dosh next month and since it's not exactly a seller's market of late, I can dream.

Any input on above questions anyone might have would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

10. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

That's a steal, and almost certainly a Blackface if the seller has their info correct. Current selling price for a nice BF Pro Reverb seems to be close to $2000.

11. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I had a 74 SF Pro that was one of the things I wish I never sold, but I did, because the other guitar player in the band had a Twin and I got drowned out. It had a reverb that never hissed or sounded too metallic. I would play it clean or hitch up an original Ibanez Tube Screamer for OD. (That got sold as well.) :(

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I love BF and SF Pros.
    I've had both, and they are great all purpose amps,
    I like to use a solid state rectifier in them, for a little more headroom.
    They have more "focus" than Supers, less headroom than a Twin.
    Older Fender amps are so well made/designed that they just keep working!

13. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Ben, that's what I suspected. I'll e the seller and ask him about if it's BF, what speakers, if reverb functions, etc. There were no pics, so Lord knows what s/he's got.

;)

14. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Tele-Afflicted

My '66 BF Pro is the first amp I plug any new guitar or pedal into as my "gold standard" platform. Can't imagine saying that about any other 46 year-old electrical appliance now, could you? ;)

15. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

Electrical... no. I did have a vintage gas stove from the 40s or 50s that was amazing, though.

My '66 has been my number one amp for the past thirteen years. I bought it broken and inexpensive. I think put in double what I paid restoring it. It's about 60% original. Regardless, everyone who plays it falls in love. I work for a major music gear company, and the amp usually lives in my office. It's a conversation starter for sure.

16. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

That was my first Fender amp, acquired new in late '64. Was a great amp, shoulda kep it. Traded off for a Vox AC30 Top Boost.

Fender's model names went batty during the transition to blackface & reverb. The 1x15 Vibroverb should have been the Pro Reverb, the 2x10 Vibrolux Reverb should have been teh Super Reverb, and the 4x10 Super Reverb should have been the Concert Reverb. For only about a year you could get that Pro & the Concert wthout reverb. Phased out through '65 IIRC.

17. daveandshelle

daveandshelle Tele-Afflicted

I have a 1966 pro reverb and used to have a 1970..Hands down the 1966 is better..I have the original speakers however I have a Jensen neodyne and a Celestion Alnico Blue in it that is a great combo I get good cleans until or a little above 5 on the volume knob.. I ususally play it at about 4.5 to 5 if ya hit seven absolute magic starts to happen.. It has the coolest sizzle..I have only got up there on outdoor gigs. Mine is bone stock besides the speakers and it is going nowhere I use it all the time..

18. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Oh, those are terrible amps. If you have one send it to me and I'll get rid of it for you.

19. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

I have a '66 that I acquired 20+ years ago from an old gent who'd played it on the R&B "Chittlin' Circuit". Backed all the old greats. Was in ill health and living in a senior housing center. A little worn and needed a little bit of work to get it in tip top shape. When I first took it home and fired it up I swear it smelled like beer, smoke and fried chicken when it warmed up. Found some period correct Jensen C12Ns for it. Great amp.

20. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Sorry this isn't as component based as some of the posts, I've not had the hood up on these amps (although now that the comparisons to other amps I have access to have been made I'm interested in checking out the guts on the pro against say the SRRI and Super-Six), but others seem to have a great bit of knowledge about the subject so...

The rhythm player in my band plays a Super Reverb RI and it is really a great clean "singing" amp, it has some trouble with too much volume (mostly on the guitar end) making it sound crackly/mushy. It's got plenty of headroom for most settings, but if pushed, his doesn't go into the nice tube OD that say a Bassman does... That said I think it's a GREAT amp, and it's got such a sweet clean tone and trem. that it's my choice over the pro. it's also very light weight compared to my own C50-212 (I'd guess by a fair few pounds by the feel of them). SRRI's seem like a great platform for effects as the base tone is just so sweet. One thing about it I'm NOT so hot on is how it lacks low end responce, but then my C50-212 has so much it may just be that I'm used to much stronger bass responce from my amp. Either way, in his case, as a rhythm player, it suits him better and keeps him from overwhelming the mix when it get's loud. Now I feel ike I'm going to want to A/B/C it with all the other amps hanging around to see just what it's really like back to back to back.

Good friend/fellow musician has a studio where he has all kinds of old vintage Fender ams including a Pro Reverb (not sure what series/version it is, I'll have to look tomorrow night when we're playing. he has a Super-sixthattends to draw much more of my attention ;) ). The Pro seems to have this ssue where the clean turns to mush at a lower volume to my ears then the SRRI, and the master volume on his doesn't seem to have the same effect as the master on my PV does, and I'm intersted to read that "it wasn't built around a master volume" (guess that means his is a latter version??? I seem to think it's an SF amp). I find it's really nice for lower volumes, but it doesn't have any tube-OD either that I've found, just a lot of noise. Biggest issue I see is the thing is nearly as big a lump as the Tin is 9weight and size wise) and it's not got the amazing clean headroom of the Twin so it's kind of an odd ball to me as it's neither an "easy carry" amp nor is it a monster out-put amp (usually you get one or the other in combo's I find). It's also got some real d"definitive" sweet spots to my ears where it sounds really great. unfortunately those volumes are shy of what I think most will ned for a ful band/gig setting and when pushed it seems to kind of "fall on it's face" and become a mushy mess.

In my experience, with the weight and size of the Pro it'd make a good "permanent" den/bedroom amp to play with, but I'd not use one for gigging. THAT SAID, as others have mentioned, they are different versions of the Pro Reverb so maybe some others I've never played through are better as a giging amp. I prefer the SRRI to the Pro personaly. As a note, I'm not sure, but the fact that I play through Tele Deluxes might be an issue with the higher output pups, maybe a more traditional Tele would have somewhat different results...

Sorry if that wasn't what you were looking for, just passing along some experience with Pro's and SRRI's since they've been discussed.

Cheers

Dave

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.