tell me about fender pro reverb amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cbnutt, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

"Singing sustain quality"... I like that. Very appropriate.

Beep.click and Eugenedunn, you mentioned volume? The Twin is cleaner (it just doesn't break up) but not really that much louder. Last week I had my BFPR out at an outdoor show, in a town-square sort of setting but with several hundred hundred people and lots of open air. The sound guy gave me a choice - run the amp at 7 or send it through the board at 3. The band asked me to go through the board because they were having a hard time hearing their monitors, so I did. There was NO lack of volume.

2. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

In short, the Super can do a slightly louder clean, it has less lows, and a bit more upper midrange around 2kHz. When cranked, the 10's distort in a more "crunchy" way, where 12s seem to have more of a "roar" and less detail.

Ben

3. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

Mine too! Which is weird because the reverb circuit is no different than any other Blackface Fender.

Here is a track from my bands upcoming EP. The intro and most of the first half of the song is Baja Tele into Pro Reverb. I do turn on some delay while I'm singing. Other wise, until the distortion kicks in, it's just guitar into amp.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y2notn3nv1y

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    Ben

4. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

I don't know if it's the 2 12s, the way the amp compresses, or what, but the reverb is perfect.

5. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Yeah that was part of my point..... I was wondering what Beep.click meant by "louder". I guess what he meant is louder clean headroom.

What could you possibly use?

6. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

What I meant by louder:

Here's the backstory. The Pro Reverb was my only amp, for the longest time. Played it everywhere, for everything.

Then one day the band plays an outdoor party. After 5-6 songs, the band starts getting carried away -- no problem, I crank up the Pro volume. Another song or two, and the band is louder again. No problem, I crank the volume a little more, and... MUSH. I'm now at 5 or 6 on the volume, and the chords have become walls of undistinguishable noise. All mud and midrange and no definition.

And so begins the quest for an amp that sounds JUST like my Pro, but LOUDER. In other words, something that will keep the dialed-in tone intact, but at a greater volume.

Got a SF Twin, 135 watts. Louder, for sure, but didn't sound like the Pro. Didn't go to MUSH as I cranked it up. Next was a Seymour Duncan Convertible head (100 watts). Louder, yep; no trace of MUSH, but definitely not the Pro sound. And on and on and on...

Long story short, I understand that tube amps will break up as you turn them up. But what I had with the Pro was a distinctive sweet tone, at a really broad range of volume settings... until the point of no return!

So louder means: keeping your tone intact, across the range of volumes you have to use, in real-world settings. Louder, period; NOTHING else should change.

FWIW, I've never been able to get the Pro tone, but louder. Clearly, you could mic it, but in many many many playing situations I encounter, that option just isn't available.

My current best bet is a Twin RI, at 80 watts. It STILL doesn't get the Pro tone, but that's OK. The Twin tone is delicious in its own way!

7. varakeef

varakeef Tele-Afflicted

- Another Pro Reverb? Not meaning another individual but a second one chained together with the first one. It's quite astonishing how much the volume level rises when you add one amp more (no, I'm not going to lead this conversation into power vs. dB's).

- Stil not enough? Add one more or add a bit more beefier amp. Like the twin you mentioned.

- Try more sensitive elements.

- Get it miked

8. Tremo

Tremo Banned

Same PTs, different OTs.

9. Tremo

Tremo Banned

IMO, those stock Oxfarts from the late 60s through the 70s are just terrible. Take one with the stock 'farts and replace them with something decent, and the difference will be absolutely night and day.

10. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a '70 SFPR that I wish I had back every single day. I had a pair of Weber 12F150's in it and I've never heard an amp as sweet. Bell cleans...thick compressed distortion. Loud as hell.

The 40 watt Siverfaces are tremendous amps. Really underated and still a reasonably good price on the market.

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

beep.click....Eminence Legend GB128's....high efficiency, firm low end, smooth highs.
    If you really want to hear the amp uncluttered by the effects of a speaker, find a couple of EV's. then, you will hear what the amp does.
    Maybe a reiteration...but, if that Pro REverb has original electrolytics, then no speaker/tube/biasing combination will rid the amp of weak, flabby, muchy lows and inarticulate soncis when pushed.

12. Toadhopper57

Toadhopper57 Tele-Meister

Hello All,

Thanks for the information.

Toad

13. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

nearly 4 years later...where do you guys even find these threads? :p
    gotta love a pro reverb, right.

14. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Maybe the best BF Fender of all.

15. macdog

macdog Tele-Holic

So when will Fender re-issue the Pro Reverb?

16. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

I think most of the difference between the Pro and the twin is to be found in the SS rectifier in the twin.

I at one time owned both a Bandmaster Reverb and a Pro Reverb. Out of curiosity I hooked the BR up to the Pro's speakers and it basically sounded identical to the Pro, except the Pro's reverb sounded slightly better (who knows why?). You had to set the midrange on the BR to about 5 for them to sound the same. At some point I replaced the OT in the Bandmaster with a Heyboer (from Allen) and the Bandmaster had a lot more dynamic sound and more headroom: more like the Super Reverb I had at the time. But louder and fuller isn't always "better", witht the downside being that the amp had to be played louder to get it to give up that compressed singing tone. so, I think it depends on what you're looking for.

For some people, that little output transformer IS part of the charm of both the Pro and the Vibrolux, and for others it's the main problem.

17. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes TDPRI Member

I have both a 72' SF Pro and a 72' SF Deluxe and they sound very, very similar in character. To me the Pro is the Deluxe's big brother and that's the reason I have one of each.

18. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Great timing on reviving this thread. Gotta Super Reverb on the way..

19. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Tele-Afflicted

My 1976 Pro Reverb (40 watts no mid knob) sounds quite a bit different from my 1971 Twin Reverb. I think it's primarily due to the speakers. My Twin Reverb has reissue Jensens and my Pro Reverb has Peavey Scorpions. Both amps sound really lovely and I like their different features. The Twin has clearer and more defined highs and stronger lows, while the Pro Reverb has a softer, rounder and more mellow tone. Interestingly, the Pro has a more old and vintage sound despite being a younger amplifier. As I mentioned, I think that's due to the speakers. While those Scorpions aren't original to the Pro Reverb, I do believe they've been in there for decades.

Both are great amps that I'd never sell unless I had to, and if I only had to use one amp, either one would do just fine for me. That said, I tend to gravitate more toward the Twin Reverb, though. The Pro does sound really awesome overdriven, however, even if I usually prefer not to play it that loud. They're about as heavy as each other. If the Twin is heavier, then it's at the point where it doesn't really matter.

20. backline

backline Tele-Afflicted

Great Timing.?
    The post is 4 years old, and Is Not about the amp you have coming.....:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.