Tell me about Ashdown amps

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Dismalhead, Oct 19, 2019.

Would you sell an '82 Bassman 135 and SWR 2x10" to get this amp?

1. Yup. Looks really cool.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yup, but not for that amp. Suggestions for something similar below.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nope, keep the Bassman and get the cash elsewhere for the new amp.

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. Nope, you don't need no stinking new amp you GASsing fool.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. I like turtles.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Hey people,

I've been struck with my newest GAS attack. Seriously jonesing for one of these, an Ashdown OriginAL C210. It's 300 watts and weighs 37 lbs with neodymium speakers. I watched a video and the guy dialed in a tone that sounded like the bass from Tool - awesome. Right now I've got an old Bassman 135 head and although it's got great tones (sounds great with my guitar), it's just not enough wattage for playing in a band, plus both it and my cabinet weigh a ton.

So, anyone got any experience with an Ashdown amp?

Also interested in any other $500 - $800 rigs that you guys might recommend. Requirements are 250+ watts (so I can play in a relatively loud band), lightweight, quality tones, reliable. Always been partial to combos. I know Hartke has a 2x10" combo with neo speakers also for about a hundred bucks less. It looks pretty cool too.

[​IMG]

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OriginAL210C--ashdown-original-c210-300-watt-2x10-inch-kickback-bass-combo-amp?gclsrc=aw.ds&&mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=984185277&rkg_id=0&campaigntype=dsa&campaign=aaDSA&adgroup=984185277:DSA - Product&placement=google&adpos=1t1&creative=388201626384&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsua2sOKp5QIVh4bACh3JWwNpEAAYASAAEgJRvfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Meister

Nothing against that amp, I'm sure it's great but I like something closer to the 500 watt range with a control panel I don't have to stoop down to adjust. Yeah, I'm getting old.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Dismalhead likes this.
  3. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Meister

What I’ve tried of Ashdown, I have liked. I haven’t seen any demos of that unit yet but I know with some other models, I was able to coax a driven sound out of it.

Dismalhead likes this.
  4. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Class D has some peculiar ratings specifications. If memory serves, a Class D amp can be rated for something that sounds like “peak power created for 1 second” or some such. An article in Bass Player a few years back suggested that your typical Class D amp is capable of sustained power in the 1/4 range of rated power, so a 250 watt Class D might only be good for @65 watts for the most part.

I am in the market for a nice, Class D amp, but wouldn’t consider anything less than 500 watts in that market for playing with a heavy-handed drummer and a 40-ish watt guitar tube amp.

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you have a 2x10" and are going to get another 2x10" instead, you probably won't be much louder.

You'll likely be a little louder though.

You might hear yourself better because you can point the speakers at your head, not sure your drummer will hear it as well.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.