1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Television ads which make no sense to you.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by deytookerjaabs, Jan 2, 2017.

1. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I don't think that it was in an ad, but it might have been in a news story. When the potato chip makers came out with chips fried in a synthetic fat that wouldn't be absorbed into the body they cautioned against leaky butt syndrome. Olestra is the synthetic fat, I think.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I remember how disappointed and dismayed I was when Robert Wagner did some of these crazy "reverse mortgage" commercials. And when someone who I discovered a little later was just imitating Morgan Freeman doing the same thing, I was ready to just boycott the guy (freeman) forever. Only it wasn't him and now in compensation I will buy the next product that Mr. Freeman actually endorses.

And so now Tom Selleck is doing these scam mortgage ads. For real. The Rules of the Forum do not permit me to describe adequately just how little respect I have for Selleck at this time. My sense is, people are giving him a break because they feel like, being who he is, and having the sense of having been in our lives forever, how could he be wrong? We should probably leave poor Mariah alone and go hammer and tongs after Selleck and yet there's been little to nothing in the way of a backlash.

Sign up for a reverse mortgage, and go into extended care for a broken hip for 12 weeks and discover under the terms of the Contract, the right to live in the house and the ownership is no longer yours. I invite all the scrutiny on this ya'll want to do.

I hope Mr. Sellout has thought this out: You claim you've done substantial research on this subject so now, when you do get sued, you won't be able to say you didn't know any better.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    RoyBGood likes this.
  3. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

But there was ONE great moment in a previous Chevy commercial with a focus group. The Chevy guy tells the group, "Give me all of your cel phones" and he puts them away and then asks them how they feel. One chick said she actually felt nauseous or depressed or some ridiculous crap. I laughed.

I stopped laughing later in the same commercial, when the point of the exercise was revealed - Chevy had created cars with built in WIFI and some woman, who I was probably stuck at a red light behind her, exclaimed "This is the greatest thing ever" or some idiot GenXr cel phone addicted stupidity.

Fearnot likes this.
  4. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Seen this one? :lol:

5. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Another ad I see quite often is the one for buying gold... It's implied that in times of economic uncertainty,
    this is a wise move. The irony is that I most often see this on the TV in a nearby McDonald's, when I'm having yet another value meal lunch because I can seldom afford much else.

I'm not sure who the actor/spokesperson is, but he starred as JFK in a made for TV movie and in a turkey of a film called "Honky Tonk Freeway" way back in the early 1980s.

So, if and when the economy collapses, how much food will I be able to buy for one of those gold coins?
    A bunch, I hope.

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I hesitate to say it, but:

dude, this post is epic

7. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat!

And this!

8. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Insurance- Geico- the lizard has been replaced by a 300 lb. figure skating sumo wrestler- I'll never even ask for a quote from those idiots.

9. Wrong-Note Rod

they and progressive have interesting business models. They continue to advertise heavily because they constantly need new clients. This is because they advertise a low initial rate which is great... then they jack it up significantly later, causing many people to cancel service.

So they need new clients all the time to replace those who figured out what they do.

Hence the constant advertising by both companies.

10. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Bad ads and negative news stick in the memory better, then when you are trying to recall a product or service, you seem to forget the negative part...

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. Gladiator

Gladiator TDPRI Member

The Dos Equis commercials. I don't buy it! I'm not gonna be interesing if I drink that beer. I already am lol!

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

13. boris bubbanov

Something people miss on these Liberty Mutual insurance commercials.

There's the "easy" message and then the one that's carefully concealed. In plain sight.

"How can you drive 3/4th of a car", says the self important woman. And of course the young lady with her car "Brad". And everyone is perplexed since if an insurance company paid you every dime you carelessly paid for your ride, every time you got tired of paying the note you'd wreck your car and get another? Am I not right? I mean, not you but your dumb nephew or sleazy next door neighbor or old fraternity brother who busted out.

But that's not the real reason these ads run. The REAL reason IMO is coincidentally, "nobody was hurt". Having seen fatalities in vehicles with only $ 750 in property damage, I know (and you probably know) only the luckiest people have no injury at all in the "total loss" wreck. What this ad is IMO really doing is conditioning juries who are already sick of "injury claims" to assume you can routinely total a vehicle and "nobody was hurt".

Anyone here see this angle before I mentioned it? If so, please reply. I'm wondering if anyone would realize what was going on, almost subliminally.

Remember, if Liberty Mutual can dodge a single, Million Dollar personal injury verdict, that buys one heck of a lot of cars and Quarters of cars.

Check me up on this if you can, sincerely: Was anyone every hurt in any of these scenarios in these Liberty Mutual TV adverts? I'm just wondering if there was a variation on just one of these ads where someone got hurt. Isn't injury/disability/death/disfigurement/lost income the real reason this kind of insurance exists at all? It is why I have insurance.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  14. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Geico has some of the biggest douches in commercials ever.

Tell me this kid isn't a dick & you just wanna punch his face:

Then the one with the alligator at dinner. Cheap bastard:

And finally the raccoon one. Another dooshy move:

IMO these commercials are more enraging than funny.

15. Wrong-Note Rod

ummm..... ok.

I'd suggest the decaf; then again, I've worked in marketing since the early 80s and maybe I'm just immune to this sort of thing.... my bad.

16. boris bubbanov

What makes no sense is, we let these scum advertise when drug dealers and prostitutes cannot.

You were set up with an annuity? Why? Because your body was crushed in a truck accident and your lawyer got you a huge settlement and it was structured so you'd get steady income from now (age 40) until you pass away. Because unless you win the lottery or drop dead, you WILL have substantial expenses in 2027 and beyond and you will need a stream of income over time. Why would we let financial rapists come in and break the annuity and give the man with the crushed body pennies on the dollar today (which his "girlfriend" will piss away), knowing this guy will be broke and dependent on handouts in a few short years?

The another company which puts a fakey pretext "ad" on the front of their spot and the annuity break is stuck at the end where only the few gullibles will see it. I know why thieves steal; what I don't understand is why we look the other way. "How do we get paid? We grow as you grow." This is the old "Grocery Storefront" where there's a huge counterfeiting operation going on in the basement - or the biggest Handbook in the region.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  17. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Doogie: "Can I flip your meat?"

18. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

The commercials that get me are the ones where the significant other get a Lexus or any other upscale luxury car for a Christmas present. I have zero friends or family that could realistically afford to do that.
    Most people I know struggle just to buy normal Christmas presents. Let alone a luxury car. To me they're out of touch and goofy.

sonicsmitty likes this.
  19. boris bubbanov

I have to say I do know some people who score a new car (or two) around Christmas time. Usually a lease, but they wanna position themselves a certain way vis a vis their neighbors in a posh neighborhood and they belong to a Country Club and don't even play golf. Sometimes they sell high end real estate. They want to send out a loud message "look what we can do!!".

And besides, even if only 20 Lexi or BMWs get sold like this, the advert tells the would be customer he or she is from the Affluent Set and it creates a set of aspirations - even if I never buy a car like this I will never stop wondering if it would be fun to surprise my parents or girlfriend with a sparkling new car. The ad reinforces the notion these are special cars for special people.

But you're right in some neighborhoods appearing with a new car, timed like this would be very bad manners. My maternal grandfather, from Southern Ohio, would never buy a replacement car until he essentially had no choice about it. I spend a lot of time carefully maintaining his car and someone else (a cousin) would say: "Don't do that, he can easily afford a new one and you're inhibiting him from buying a new one." If the car stopped running and had to be towed away from my Grandparents home, then and only then would he buy another.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  20. PenCapChew

PenCapChew TDPRI Member

"Head on. Apply directly to the forehead."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.