telethin doublecut pineoustic failocaster aka stairparts to hades build

mojz

Tele-Meister
had a couple of pine offcuts from a stair parts project at home and decided to have a go at a hollow body build.
IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

ide originally wanted a thinline but seeing youtube videos etc ide decided they may not be acousticly loud enough for me,im just learning guitar and just want something to practice with on the sofa.

my first build was a pine esquire quickly followed by a little ruby amp (both built/troubleshot with the help of you chaps)and although happy with it i found i didnt really want to be plugging into the amp and risk torturing my neighbours and passers by with the sound of me ham fistedly smashing away at the same three cowboy chords for a few years.

and then max vintage posted his experimental hollowbody builds,impressed by his results i thought ide have a go at building my own but as i only had enough 20mm(aprox 3/4")pine for one body and nothing to cap it with i had to take a different route.

i glued up a top and a bottom for the guitar as above and marked each half out unfortunatly i changed my mind about the orientation of my top and bottom halves and re marked them i then left it about a week till i went to cut and rout them
IMAG0096.jpg

i believe the saying is doh!:( and yes that is carbody filler in the lower body:oops: i made the mistake on that one of cutting the body out before i routed leaving me nothing but the edge of the body to rest my router on and consequently dug into what would be my soundboard (tone filler anyone?).
the second one i routed before cutting the body out so i made less of a mess of but realised i want some kind of router sled for when i do this next time .

have you spotted the major mistake btw?of course you have as youre probably not as dumb as me you can see right away ide cut the wrong side out:confused: at this point (if not long before) anyone sensible would have binned the whole thing or just fixed the one side.me not being sensible i decided to double the error and make my first doublecut instead.
IMAG0097.jpg

on maxs first build with remarkable honesty he reported that his first attempt eventually broke so on his second build he reinforced his pine top with a bracing scheme similar to one you would usually see on an archtop,so obviously the sensible thing to do would be to replicate that ?

no no no :rolleyes: as ive watched a couple of youtube videos im now an expert on building acoustic tops so thought ide better do that instead
IMAG0099.jpg

the rosewood brace is the side of an old trinket box i disassembled long ago at around a 1/4" thick it is far thicker than you would find on an acoustic but as it has to take screws i didnt want it as thin as you would see on a true acoustic as it would never hold the screws and lets face it with a soundboard of 1/4" pine it was never going to sound like an acoustic anyway.
the bracing is made from an old door stop (the piece your internal doors usualy close against) aprox 6x16mm its quite old and very tight grained i ended up whittling it down thinner than this but didnt take a pic.
i " tuned" the top till it made slightly different dull thuds when punched heartily at different points then glued both halfs together:D

mojz

Tele-Meister
here it is assembled and dyed yellow with waterbased clothes dye.
IMAG0103.jpg

i was quite happy with it at this point and then decided this was a prime oportunity to do my first experiment with shellac .as ide spent so long fine tuning the piney thud that was eminating from my masterpiece i didnt want to risk losing the tonal wonder i had created by using anything else.as i posted in another thread i used colron shellac "contains nothing but pure shellac"which promptly turned my bright yellow pride and joy into a **** brown mess:(
IMAG0105.jpg

this is it after ide sanded a fair amount of it off,i sanded it further but gave up in the end this was after all meant mainly as an experiment which will ultimatly end up in the bin so i cut down an old bridge that came with my first guitar rockburn tele(cheap and nasty) and chucked on the neck from same guitar(was on my pine esquire)
IMAG0107.jpg

and here it is in all its gory.
im surprised at how loud it is i dont really have the ear or the terminology to describe how it sounds and there wont be a sound file as i cant play.
single notes sound quite good to me tho thats not saying much highs are quite bright and lows sound okay but as chords die off it seems to just turn into a noise instead of the chord/strum just getting quieter.
overall im fairly happy with it but as i was writing my new cheapo neck from china got delivered so the wood abuse may continue.

mojz

Tele-Meister
thanks chaps ,it was partly inspired by that,the japan tlac 100/950 (i keep seeing them refered to as 950 but the japan catalogues ive seen only call it a 100)

on another thread i asked about having a combined piezo bridge and normal pickup as they do (thats why i left the extra bit of meat round the neck so i could in theory fit a tele neck pickup in it)but its too much of an electronic can of worms for me.

the catalogue says these have a spruce top but i think its only on a std thinline body but never managed to find out exactly how their built