1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele's

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by youngguitarist, Jan 9, 2005.

1. youngguitarist

youngguitarist TDPRI Member

Is It me or do tele's have a problem with there g string

2. IsThereLoveInSpace

IsThereLoveInSpace Tele-Meister

It's you.

3. lenny

lenny Banned

intonation can be tricky, sometimes i tune it a tiny bit flat, assuming most of the time i give it a good enough pluck to pull slightly sharp, and be in tune..
    but i think that getting the nut cut properly is important too if you're picky
    /shrug

4. Dennis68

Dennis68 Tele-Holic

One of my old lady friends used to have a problem with her g string, but never any of my teles... Once again, Teles prove more faithful and lasting...

5. youngguitarist

youngguitarist TDPRI Member

haha

that was good dude. But anyway no what i ment was i tune the guitar and checked the intonation and it seems fine but sumtimes it still seems out

6. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

There's no reason why it should be so, but the g string, particularly on a tele, always gives me the most trouble.

7. Marshall Thinline

Marshall Thinline Tele-Holic

That is one of the arguments for thicker strings. Try to step up to a fatter string gauge. If you are using a .16 go to a .17. Just this small step up will make a difference. I found this to help all my guitars stay in tune better. Now for me, this could be because I have a tendency to manhandle my guitars when playing. This is especially true when I am playing live. It tames me down a little bit.

You may also like the tone of a fatter string better.

8. racehorse

racehorse Tele-Meister

tuning/intonation trouble

The guitar is never in a true sense "in tune". not just a tele.

I have noticed that the "b' string is usually the problem.
    Many times I would tune my whole guitar, to a B string that had gone sharp. or it makes it seem as if the G string is the problem.

A seasoned musician in my younger days pointed this out, and it helped me alot, 1) it gave me this basic knowlage, 2) it pointed out to me that the guitar ,is never in perfect tune , at least not everywhere at once .

I have my own little tuning ritual , which is basicly stretch tuning.

I tune The 2nd and 6th somewhat flat

Somthing I learned here was to set your bridge intonation with a capo on the 5th fret . which is a form of strech tuning for your bridge.

There are some really good threads here on tuning.
    do a search, lot of good info.

just my experience.

9. Gene Machine

Gene Machine Tele-Meister

compensated saddles

if you tinker with it and still can't get your 3-saddle bridge intonated, drop $20 on some compensated bridge saddles from Stew-Mac. do a searchh on them here for more details, Danny Gatton used them...

I don't have any issues with my 52RI tele, so i didn't bother with them. my other tele has a 6 saddle bridge.

g.

10. josephandmary

josephandmary TDPRI Member

I don't think the problem with the G string is exclusive to teles. I think it is often a problem with poorly cut nuts.

Get your intonation right then use your tuner to get the G exactly in tune and then check the A on the second fret of the G string. Is it exactly in tune? If not then I think it is probably a poorly cut nut. The slot may be cut too flat and the break point may be further away from the bridge than it should be.

I often change the nut myself when I find this problem and my own work has always been an improvement on what was there before. Of course, you should take it to a competent tech to sort it out, if you have one locally.

11. Vihar

Vihar Banned

My prayer is: wound G! Even a .018 one will solve the problem.

12. Tele-Whacker

Tele-Whacker Tele-Meister

The "B" string is the culprit...

Racehorse, you're right about that darn "B" string!
    Like yourself, an older musician I worked with when I first started playin' six nites a week in Lubbock Texas told me the very same thing. He allowed that the guitar couldn't be tuned perfectly at the nut, and be EXACTLY true all the way up the neck without doing some wierd things to the frets by staggering them some.

I used to have a hard time trying to tune the "G" string also, and he showed me that it was the "B" the whole time. This was on a brand new 1972 Telecaster Deluxe, and I could NEVER get that thing in tune!

Later, I had a 1950 Broadcaster, with the three brass saddles, and I think you could have droped it out of an airplane and it would have stayed in tune.

I still go through nights where I fight my tuning, but not always. Most of the time, I'll suggest that everyone use the tuner, and it's usually someone else that's out a little.

After I warm up my fingers, and the guitar, I tune before the first set begins, and at the end of every set while my guitar is still warm from my body heat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.