Teles Built From Non-Standard Woods: Post Yours Here

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by El Tele Lobo, Jun 4, 2019.

1. CJFearn

CJFearn Tele-Holic

It's a Hannes bridge and they're really nice. They're made by Schaller. They come in 6, 7 and 8 string varieties as well as 8 different finishes. Here's a link: https://schaller.info/en/bridges/352/hannes-6?c=10

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

trev333 likes this.
  3. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

15004158176840.jpg
    Finger joint birch back and neck, birch plywood top, fingerprint mahogany headstock tip. My first guitar build, so basically, the only hardwood I could find at the local hardware store (they only have soft pine and spruce otherwise...)

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Most of the DF bodies I make are between 4 and 5 lbs... I don't think that's heavy... I've used them for teles, mustangs, Tele basses... good wood...

Roof Rafters are usually chosen for lightness and strength/stiffness/no flaws.... you don't drag heavy timbers up there if you can help it ... then they've been in a wall/roof cavity for 50-100 yrs.... nice and dry, too...:)

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. El Tele Lobo

I only ask because I had a Douglas Fir tele briefly. Fixed it up and gave it to a friend who was undergoing cancer surgery (he beat it, praise God!). It was on the heavy side. Probably new or not sufficiently dried out wood. I have a pine tele with an ash top (my number 2) that's the same. Inordinately heavy. Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a light one and may try it again one day.

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

here's a few DF bodies that I stained and clear coated...I like to put a soft roll on the top corners of non trad teles....smooth...:)

brownie has 2xVol no tone, the red one has a 4 way and TBX tone pot..... no mud in this house....:D

1 brownie V Join.JPG browny pg body.JPG

clear PG red tele1sm.jpg DSCF0062.JPG

7. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Here's my submission... Western Red Cedar with poplar neck.... Still in process. Single humbucker in bridge position with volume and tone. Using up all the odds and ends in my shop.[​IMG]

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

El Tele Lobo, Peltogyne and trev333 like this.
  8. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

This first body of mine is primarily from a stick of Alaska spruce I found in the shorts bin of one of our local lumber purveyors but I had to make up for the material deficit with some VG D-Fir I had left over from a large kitchen island (err....continent) top project for a client. The D-fir cuts just fine but it's definitely more "splintery" than that spruce was. (this will be painted so the multiple species will not be evident on the finished body)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

mrz80, Random1643, CJFearn and 5 others like this.
  9. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

I know that's a common sentiment to show as much wood as possible. But for my design sensibilities it's all about the the guitar as a whole and I tend to prefer a solid pickguard. Clear or missing pickguards on a Tele don't work for me so I prefer some wood hidden no matter how pretty it is.

oceanblue, guitarbuilder and mjr428 like this.
  10. El Tele Lobo

trev333 likes this.
  11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Dyed maple top.jpg
    This ended up with Joe Barden P90s with a Mahogany neck with a roasted maple fret board. This is slightly curly soft maple on Butternut/White Walnut.

IMG_5891[1].JPG
    This one will get a QS 12 string Maple neck with Ebony board from Warmoth. It's still in the clear coat stage. This is Curly Black Walnut on Butternut /White Walnut.

IMG_6271[1].JPG
    Rounding out the Walnut Theme is Black Walnut Crotch on a solid 1 piece Black walnut back. Far prettier in person. No exact plan for this.
    IMG_6297[1].JPG
    Here is solid purple heart, would have been one piece but we dropped it so it's 2 pieces. We should have really thought this through it weighs about 18 lbs. MM C Shaped Neck.

IMG_6362[1].JPG
    Here's a Pallet Caster 14 pieces for the back and 3 for the front. A mix of Poplar (mainly the front) Oak and Pine. Had to hollow it out too heavy. Neck was made from local Maple, the dots are Chechen.
    IMG_7333[1].JPG

Curly Maple on Mahogany. Interesting note to this is the Trem is a G&L Dual Fulcrum bridge. I made template right off my G&L 92 Legacy. If you look in the bottom right hand corner you can see the patch, where the body shifted and I poked the router through the top. It looks pretty good considering I have never tried that sort of patch before.

12. Scatter Lee

Scatter Lee Friend of Leo's

no wood at all

[​IMG]

mrz80, nickhofen, Zepfan and 11 others like this.
  13. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

This one's Pawlonia with a curly maple top. 491.JPG 493.JPG 492.JPG 497.JPG

14. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

This one out of old-growth, 170 yr old Hemlock.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Zepfan, Random1643, Macrogats and 3 others like this.
  15. El Tele Lobo

16. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Yessir

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

50667341_10213411444661068_546052383847743488_n.jpg This one's pine, stained a dark walnut color.[​IMG] 23172813_10210440134540172_5858089917315707966_n.jpg

18. vintageampz

vintageampz TDPRI Member

Nothing new or original about Pine bodied Telecasters, the infamous Bill Kirchen (everyone remember the song "Hot Rod Lincoln") had his first made for him in the 1960's and many many from Hill Billy Rock to Country and even Rock have had them built. I've made a quite a few at my shop back in the 90's. Here's a video about Bill Kirchen's Piney at a visit to StewMac. -

Love the charcoal finish on yours BTW, I've done them with Figured Maple and Ash tops as well as all Pine like Bill's.

I worked at Fender from 1972 - 1999, Fullerton and Corona.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. El Tele Lobo

Wow! Cool! Thanks for sharing. Would love to see pics of some of your builds. Please feel free to post them. I'm familiar with that video of Bill and Dan Erlewine.

20. vintageampz

vintageampz TDPRI Member

Looks more like doctor's tongue depressors (too wide for popscicles) .... open wide, now gag.

Zepfan and El Tele Lobo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.