Teles Absolutely RULE

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Getfrettin

Getfrettin TDPRI Member

To the original poster... MANY LIKES !!!

2. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Ya know, to be honest I don’t really like telecasters. The sharp edge of the body rubs my right arm, the switch and pots are mounted in a too small control plate and are in an awkward position.

I much prefer strats.

Having said that, I have three telecasters, in various designs.

The only standard one is a squier bound sunburst with a rosewood neck and vintage pickups. I’ve always wanted one like this and a friend had one for sale so I had to buy it.

The second one is a buyout I got from parts express for a C note. It was one of those beginners packs with a paper thin gig bag, a crappy solid state amp and cable and a few picks.
    I sold everything but the guitar for $40 on CL. The guitar was much better than I expected and with a setup and a little tweaking it sounded and played great. Then I saw the Winery Dogs and decided to turn it into a poor mans Ritchie Kotzen guitar. Dimarzio Chopper T, quality pots, switch and switchcraft jack, and a tortoise pickguard. None of this was easy, I had to dremel the hell out of the switch cavity to get the pots and switch to fit and had to fill and redrill the pickguard holes to get a Fender pickguard to fit.
    A bone nut, a little fretwork and this thing rocks!!!

Lastly, a GFS Esquire partscaster I made with a prefinished, set neck body. I had some of the hardware and either bummed the rest from friends or got it from AliExpress. I put it together as much as my skills allowed then gave it to my tech to install the bridge, install a bone nut and clean up the frets. Mojo vintage taper pot, switchcraft jack and a dimarzio super distortion pickup. Stand back, this thing is a rockin machine!!!

Ya know, I may have been wrong. I kinda like telecasters.

958D3049-A522-4F92-9847-E26103BBD4D2.jpeg 90204353-BB56-4E2A-A6CD-162695908A45.jpeg 2E4021F1-7FE1-4FB2-9461-90D505D61D48.jpeg

Lashdog likes this.
  3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Doctorx... sounds like you just talked yourself into liking Teles! :lol:

Glad you're enjoying them. I have found it difficult to not enjoy a Tele.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  4. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

I tried Teles twice before I got one that worked for me. All of them bought new. A late 90's MIM standard in that lovely metallic wine red, followed by an '00 MIA standard in natural ash. The former was very heavy, while the neck and pickups were uninspiring. The latter played well but had no sustain whatsoever. Sold each of them. Felt the need again in '05, tried several in the Nashville GC (friend worked there at the time), and picked a Highway 1 in sunburst. Planned on experimenting with pickups, etc., but after just changing the saddles to compensated brass items, the variety of tones coming from those two pickups, two controls, and one switch blew me away. And the ease of use in a live setting won me over too.

Like many of you, I can never have one of anything, so I built a partscaster to keep it company and already have ideas for an esquire I want to build next.

5. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

I love them all equally Skype_Picture_2019_12_11T18_03_13_936Z.jpeg

navigate40, DHart and mimmo like this.
  6. roaddog57

roaddog57 TDPRI Member

This one......after 40+ years, mostly a Gibson/Strat guy & still active in a classic rock cover band Saturday night & church on Sunday this is my 2nd Telecaster. Squier Affinity with 3 upgrades- USA Fender vintage noiseless p'ups, GFS pre-wired Telecaster harness & Wilkinson vintage style tuners. This one is making me a telecaster guy!
    If it ain't broke don't fix it

Attached Files:

7. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

basically my story is the following; At 14 I bought a really bad Egmont semi
    accoustic that was unplayable. So after 6 months or so I got a better, actually
    fairly decent 70's Japanese LP copy. This was 1985 or so. It played really well
    And I loved it and I still have it. One day it fell and the headstock broke. It
    was repaired and went on to play for several years without issues.

One day the strap released and it hit a table and the headstock broke again and
    none of the luthiers wanted to repair it all stating that it wasn't worth the
    cost. So I was without a guitar and had seen a cheap Squier tele that I bought
    to tie me over. It was not as good as that LP but still playable and with some
    work it became good and I actually started to like it.

After a few years I wanted something better and there was still that dream of
    having my first real guitar being fixed. And I wanted a LP again, so I went to
    the music store to see what was available. (In the time being at some point I
    had modified the tele to have humbucker at the neck.) Arriving there a sunburst
    Pro Tone Squier Fat tele caught my eye, and even though I was determined to go
    home with a decent LP copy (no money for the real stuff), I picked it up and
    started playing it. This was light years ahead of the old tele. (this was '95 -
    '96)

Long story short, I went home with a other tele, and that pattern repeated
    itself a few times so that I ended up with 4 tele's and a broken LP.
    in the end the LP got fixed about ten years after it broke and it is still great
    but in the mean time it's the tele's that became the main machines.

8. wolfman2020

wolfman2020 TDPRI Member

I feel the same way. I started with a brand new 1968 Gibson SG jr in 1968 and I was 8 years old. Played it, a 64 Duo-Sonic and a Electra MPC with the onboard modules for 20 years. Now i have 22 Telecasters along with a few other guitars but none give me what a Tele does, its the total package...

9. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I wouldn't say "it just felt right immediately" as I don't find them terribly forgiving (which is a good thing), but it sure as hell sounded right! I've got two now and looking for another...maybe pine...

10. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My first experience with a Tele was in the '80s and it was a bad one. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Fast forward 20 years and I picked up a '92 MIM because I liked the neck. After playing it a couple of years and figuring out what i did and didn't like I bought a couple of CV '50's, a WB and a BB, and it was ON.

11. westofthesun

westofthesun TDPRI Member

Telecasters rule indeed! I bought my American Standard new in 2003 and I've never liked another guitar as much as I like that one. In fact, it's the only electric guitar I've ever kept in my life - sold a few Strats and a Les Paul that just didn't quite do it for me like my Tele does. It feels right and sounds right for anything I've ever needed it to do. Can't beat the classic look either.

12. MTorr03

MTorr03 TDPRI Member

Same here. I always thought the Tele was a corny old Country and Western guitar until I thought, what the Hell?, and bought a Highway 1 Tele and loved it.

Since then, I’ve added a Cabronita Tele, a P90 Tele, and probably the cheapest and possibly best of them, a Squier Classic Vibe Tele.

Just like you said, if I could only have one, I’d probably have to pick the Tele!

DHart likes this.
  13. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Great thread.

Electric wise I only own telecasters so no other guitar will get hurt.

14. Jonburst

Jonburst TDPRI Member

I think if I had to really dig deep and have only one guitar, it would be an Esquire.
    A Tele to me is minimalism and simplicity, but an Esquire is the ultimate vessel for expression.

When it's all in your hands, your voice flows through them.

So i do aim to get hold of one at some point, but I can't see myself ever getting rid of my 8502 or my SG.
    Between those two, I can talk just fine.

15. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I finally found the one I can't live without. See avatar, it's as plain vanilla as a tele can get, but blows my mind every time I play it. I am glad I held out and kept trying for the right one (I actually have two I adore one US one MIM road worn in standard configuration 50's CV) I have a squier T-Type I have messed with and enjoy taking into hostile territory. With all that said, I do LOVE my Strats. I keep coming here because the environment is inviting and very informative. The BS is easy to spot and step around due to the professionalism of those that post the best posts and very accurate information. I also LOVE the Tele history stories.

As far as actually playing I find the Tele ergonomics to be lacking, but it is certainly a simple no frills tool that gets the job done; over and over again. I wish my Shawbucker Am Pro had contours, but what the heck, it overcomes with tone and rock solid durability.

Many thanks to you guys for standing behind, promoting and sharing history on this historic musical instrument. Most of you have forgotten more than I will ever know about the Telecaster, in all regards.

Enjoy your Holidays.

Here's hoping to land the elusive Ultra Tele, gotta go pick some four leaf clovers.
    Chao!

16. mmannaxx

mmannaxx TDPRI Member

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  17. mmannaxx

mmannaxx TDPRI Member

I have felt this way since buying my first electric 6 string in 1981, a Tele. It is the best all around electric for such a variety of music styles and genres. You can truly play any type of electric guitar music well with a Tele.

18. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

My Telecaster will not replace my Carvin.

19. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I bought a boost pedal to compensate for the Telecaster's weak single coil pick ups.

20. Loaded Goat

Loaded Goat TDPRI Member

Started with an acoustic...then Strats...now it's Tele all the way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.