Teles Absolutely RULE

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I agree. The one best all arounder in my stable is a tele.

DHart likes this.
  2. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I haven’t had a Tele as my number one for years, but I’ve owned more than any other guitar type (69 RI Thinline, MiJ standard, p90 Squier, parts PAF deluxe and ‘73 Deluxe). Getting the MiJ back after 14 years has reminded me how good they are, and the magic is in that humble base model.

Now the Deluxe is amazing but a very different beast...

chillybilly likes this.
  3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Same here. Got a lot of nice guitars, all of which I love to play. But I've slowly accumulated more Fenders than any other, and more Teles than any other Fender, by far. And I really don't like to mess with the recipe. Give me a lightweight vintage spec reissue, with two single coils, three-way switch, and a big neck, and I'm good. Then it's all about the different winds...

I'd never want to be restricted - I like my variety way too much. But if someone said "quick, choose a guitar for the next three years"... well, my head would explode. I was gonna say Tele, but now I want that 335... oh, nevermind...:lol:

4. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Got my first in 67.

Owenmoney likes this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fish meet barrel.

Dan German and unixfish like this.
  6. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You mean "Unixfish, meet barrel", right? :D

MilwMark likes this.
  7. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I agree, but if they feel right it enhances the abilities of the player. Doesn’t matter what make or style,it it feels right the player will play better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DHart and Dan German like this.
  8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Of course the music that comes out of the guitar is dependent on the individual who is playing it. That's a given, a foregone conclusion, isn't it! I don't see the connection of that thought to this thread, though?

And, whatever qualities any individual player brings to the instrument, that player will still have preferences for particular neck feel, the tones of the instrument, the weight, size, shape, and balance of the guitar, the controls, and perhaps even the looks! That's what this thread is about - all of those factors.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    MilwMark likes this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As an aside, there's nothing wrong with enjoying how a guitar looks.

10. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Indeed, nothing wrong with that at all.

In fact, to me, how a guitar looks is right up there with how great it feels and how it sounds!

I want it ALL! :) And the Tele brings the goods. (As do other guitars, as well.)

JDRNoPro likes this.
  11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I might amend, I've got three tele's, and they are all a little different. I'd even say, there's some overlap with non-tele's. In the end, they all have six strings, and perform at the whim of the player.

12. navigate40

navigate40 Tele-Meister

One of the things I like most about the tele, is the simplicity of the controls. Master vol, master tone. And having just two pickups.

Something I find impressive is the amazing variations that can be had with this platform. You have to admire that the basic broad, flat body can house every combination and configuration of pickups and electronics. I think we have seen every type of pickup in one. 2 and 3 pickup teles. Tele's with SC's, P90's, HB's, filtertrons, lipsticks. Not sure I have personally seen one with Jazzmaster pickups, but maybe one of the parallel universe ones does...I don't know. Pretty amazing. And you see examples of the above, all the time. It is commonplace.

One thing that does puzzle me, what you do see more HH tele bodies for sale.

And more 3 knob control plates.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    DHart likes this.
  13. navigate40

navigate40 Tele-Meister

telemods.jpg
    White tele has a strat pickup in the neck, Fender tele OV bridge and a Piezo saddle pickup (magnetic/ piezo signals get split at stereo output jack).

Sea Foam Pearl has SD A II Pro HB's and 1 vol. 2 tone controls (had to Dremel a small amount of the control route to fit this).

14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I had about 5 Teles at one point, but have thinned the herd down to 2. One very traditional with a nice fat maple neck in sonic blue (partscaster) and the other
    a Deluxe with two Telenator modded-WRHBs.

Nothing sounds as much like a Tele as a real Tele, and I love the snap and the way it feels in my hands. A Strat with the N+B pickups combined comes
    pretty close, though, in terms of the sound.

I have this issue right now with my favorite Tele-- the traditional one with a Broadcaster set of pickups in it. I love how it sounds clean, but not so much
    how it sounds when playing lead with distortion. For me, classic PAFs have the advantage when it comes to distortion, while single coils win when playing clean.
    (Of course Jimmy Page's sound on Led Zep I begs to differ, so I know that a great distorted tone can be obtained with traditional Tele pickups-- but it's a bit more challenging.)

When playing with just a little bit of dirt (for example, the Keith Richards sound), I can go either way....PAFs can tend to be a touch muddy, but single coils can
    tend to be a touch ice-picky. (Yes, P90s are the Goldilocks in this scenario, sounding "just right", but then again they are pretty dang noisy).

So my issue is that I need to get great clean and dirty sounds out of the guitar I am playing on stage. More and more I gravitate towards PAF type pickups--
    I can get a great clean sound out of them, too, though perhaps not quite as great as out of a nice single coil Tele or Strat. The outcome is I use the Tele a lot
    at home and when recording, but on stage I've mostly been going with HB guitars. But I don't want to alter my traditional Tele because I love what it does
    in a classic configuration. The Deluxe with WRHBs is almost the best of both worlds, but I don't love it as much as the classic Tele. Maybe because my first "good"
    electric guitar was an approximately '68 Tele I got in about 1976. I don't know, maybe I'll try some Cavaliers that are wound just a bit hotter than the Broadcaster set
    I have now. Perhaps that would solve it-- but I don't want to compromise the wonderful cleans I get out of it now. Think Meters for that hot, clean Tele tone when
    plugged straight into my black-faced Super Reverb.

15. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

For me, it's the best all around electric guitar ever made. It can really do it all. At first, I was a Gibson guy and loved SG's, 335's, and Les Pauls. However, those model basically have the same electronics, pickups and do their job very well. I got into Teles kind of late in the game for me(25 years ago or so)and I kick myself for not giving them the chance much earlier. For a design that is 70 years old, it is perhaps one of the best innovative designs of all time.

In addition, you can basically modify it to sound anyway you want it. It comes down to its' genius of simplicity.

DHart likes this.
  16. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Tele-Meister

Killer! What exactly is that, I want one! I’m digging the Mastery bridge too. How does it stay in tune? Can you still do pedal steel type bends with the bigsby on there?

And to the OP, it took me 3 decades of playing for my tele light bulb to finally go off!

DHart likes this.
  17. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

I think it already has. I haven't put a guitar together fro about 10 years, but I'm considering putting one together, and it might have to be an Esquire. I rarely play on the neck pickup or middle position on my Teles now.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  18. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

I didn't get hooked on Telecasters until I started playing country music, a genre I didn't
    appreciate until a few years ago, as I was totally into Stratocasters.

And now I mostly play Teles and I'm always tinkering and swapping out parts, love it!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. frisco kid

frisco kid TDPRI Member

It’s a Magnificent 7 tele from 2106. It was modded with the Bigsby, Mastery Bridge, V Mod pickups (which I absolutely love although there are those that don’t care for them) and Hip Shot locking tuners.

This guitar has really opened my eyes on the versatility and greatness of a good tele. It’s about all I’ve played since I got it and I’ve got some killer axes hanging on the wall.

it stays in tune extremely well with moderate Bigsby use and I can easily do 2 step bends, the strings are actually slinkier and easier to manipulate as the tension is not as taut as a string through.

The Mastery bridge really provides solid contact with the body and excellent intonation. The strings stay put with zero slippage...that said I had similar results with a Rutters bridge at a much lower price on another guitar.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  20. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I like the tones from Teles so much that I find myself modding my non-Fender guitars to sound MORE like Teles! :eek: :lol::lol::lol:

(That clean, clear, rich and sparkly bright tone - music to my ears!)

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.