Teles Absolutely RULE

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Nov 21, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

The way I feel about Telecasters, at present, absolutely amazes me in that it took a good few DECADES of playing and appreciating Strats and Les Pauls before I even thought about trying a Tele, much less buying one. I just did not know what I was missing.

Today, I am very blessed to enjoy a fairly wide variety of wonderful guitars: solids, semi-hollows, and hollow-body electrics. (Not including acoustics.)

But without question, when I pick up one of my Teles, I am dramatically reminded of how unique, special, and absolutely wonderful they are. They feel wonderful, they play wonderfully, and they sound wonderful. And to think that the Tele was one of the very first electric guitars ever created. A-mazing! Leo thought he was progressing when he created the Strat - and he was in some ways.

But Leo hit it so far out of the park, with his first guitar creation, that in spite of all the wonderful and "evolved" instruments that we have available to us today, the Tele is my number ONE choice of them all.

If I were to be restricted to having only one guitar, from this day forward, it would be a Tele! And from my perspective, considering the many wonderful instruments that I am surrounded by (and thoroughly enjoy playing) in my music studio, that's saying quite a lot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  2. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Ditto

Greggorios, DHart and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

Same here. The first 2 Teles I bought from eBay were dogs, so that kept me away a little longer. But I eventually found some that I really liked.

Greggorios and RadioFM74 like this.
  4. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

Nicely put DHart.

I was a very committed pure acoustic folkie. Then I saw this pic in Tom Wheeler's Guitar Book in 1975 and just recognised it was for me.

20171108_112119.jpg

It took me a while to get a Tele, I've had other electrics, have even been without a Tele at times, but I've never felt the same about any other guitar.

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I never considered buying a tele until I spotted one customer return and cheap. The look didn't do much for me. Then I received that first tele and it just felt right, It played and sounded better than all my other guitars and that was it. I thought they were old man guitars when I was young, now i'm much older and I love the look of them. I guess I just needed a few decades to grow into them.:)

6. navigate40

navigate40 Tele-Meister

I always thought tele's were...old fashioned. Played strats and an LP. Then...wandered into a small shop that had a '52 or something tele RI. Played it...and was thunderstruck.

Not only was the tone wonderful, I liked it's design and not having a trem.

Just made sense to me. And, amazing, this was Leo's first attempt. Genius. Now, a tele is my first choice. And now, I see them everywhere.

7. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

"It just felt right" is the recurring sentiment when people talk about how they entered into Tele World, myself included.

Greggorios, DHart, RadioFM74 and 4 others like this.
  8. BlackieBlues

BlackieBlues TDPRI Member

That’s what she said...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greggorios and DHart like this.
  9. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

For me its an original 1980s G&L ASAT with large MFD pickups, but overall its a Tele and I agree. Everything seems in its right place.

DHart likes this.
  10. chillybilly

chillybilly TDPRI Member

Spock voice: 'And yet you are playing a Stratocaster in your avatar pic.' :eek:

11. barfly69

barfly69 TDPRI Member

Amen to that, brother!

I'm a one guitar man, and it could never be anything but my Tele.

Weird though, when I was young (and didn't play guitar), I always considered the Tele to be the poor relation to the Strat. If I ever took up guitar, it would be a Strat, I told myself. Sexier shape, trem, extra pickup, Jimi played one, etc. But in the end it was the Tele that chose me.

Is it just me or is the Tele becoming more popular? I see them everywhere. Perhaps it's simply because I look for them.

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

13. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Essentially, my story.

14. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Same here.

15. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Meister

The foreword in Tony Bacon's book The Fender Telecaster succinctly captures this sentiment.

Very few die-hard Telecaster freaks started out with one...but they came to their senses later in life and realized it has everything you need and nothing you don't. And it's practically indestructible.

16. frisco kid

frisco kid TDPRI Member

Wow, couldn’t have said it better! My exact experience OP! Already looking for a second tele to go with this one:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  17. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Surely the OP was not expecting somebody to argue his point on this board, right? :lol:

18. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Started out as an acoustic only guy, but tried electrics now and then. Even bought one. Clearly, I just didn’t like electrics. Not my bag. Fine for you, but...

Then I played a Tele.

19. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Actually, a thought about whether anyone would argue or not never even came to mind - I just had a powerful wave of praise for my Teles overtake me, and it spilled out all over my keyboard! :lol:

20. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Wait until the Esquire bug bites you, too! That one pickup, and all that spaaaaaaace for your attack hand, and the simplicity that beckons eager exploration and digging out what's inherent in the guitar---it's like the long valley coming into view.

middy, JDRNoPro, Sax-son and 6 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.