Telepathy: Anyone believe in it? Anyone actually use it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ukepicker, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Descartes said. I think; therefore I am. If there was any such thing as telepathy, wouldn't he have said? We think; therefore we are. Now with a name like Descartes, how can you doubt anything he says? If his name had been say... Well, you get the idea.

stinkey likes this.
  2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

OK, this should clear up a few things:

journalpone0105225g001.jpg

3. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Two statements I live by:
    1. Correlation does not equal causation.
    2. If you can't express it in figures, it's not fact, it's opinion.

There is no "supernatural."

JustABluesGuy and stevemc like this.
  4. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I communicated with a tree once! The LSD was particularly clean. But that was way back when owsley was doing his thing.

JustABluesGuy and Chunkocaster like this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've certainly experienced lots of stuff that suggest it's possible there is sixth sense stuff going on.

One problem is that we have been taught to deny anything supernatural since I guess around the time Anton Van Leeuwerhoek discovered that there were invisible monsters killing people in their sleep.

Another possible problem is that nobody seems to be able to prove it in a laboratory or on a game show.

We might look at a really good improv band and consider that the members seem to know what the others will do next, and get in step before it happens.
    But that could simply be great minds thinking alike.

We might notice that when certain people call us on the phone, we instantly know it's them. But when we notice that this is happening, do we then begin to doubt our possible precognition? I certainly do.
    Still happens all the time, with certain callers being more likely to be presumed, many of whom are randomly as opposed to predictably timed. No clue why, no control.
    I had a very emotional GF for a while that I didn't live with, and sometimes couldn't reach, but would regularly get a sense of what she was doing when she wasn't answering her phone. I was correct an awful lot of the time. This particular woman tended to do stuff with the emotion of a freaking tornado, and over time I seemed to know stuff about her past that she hadn't yet realized.
    How could her past get into my head without her even knowing what it was?
    OK so now we get into psychology where the brain hides stuff from its owner that the owner operator isn't ready to process.
    That's kind of the opposite of precognition.
    Still doesn't explain how often I've looked at someone and had a few conversations, then knew a lot about their past, which was eventually confirmed.
    I actually started telling women I date that "I will know stuff about you, I can't help it, it will just happen". Always happens that way. Once again, could be that I just make lucky guesses based on present behaviors and the likely causes or hidden related stuff.

WRT lab tests always failing to produce proof, even to the point where those being tested perform worse than random guesses. I can imagine that the indescribable method or phenomenon involved would be hard to control, and more like something we wait for, rather than fully control and produce on demand.
    Take one of those great bands and replace the drummer or the bass player with some hack and the whole ESP magic might simply not happen.

Once again. stuff we cannot see, understand, dissect or prove, is easy to write off as being impossible.
    One thing I've noticed is that the masses reject and ridicule lots of stuff that I've delved into and found truth in.

WE have a society where great effort is made to deny falsehoods as well as profitable truths.
    Recently the falsehoods repeated about Monsanto were found to be truths by both scientists and the Courts.

So how do we figure out which is which?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Spudly likes this.
  6. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I started this thread and you didn't even know it. ;)

stinkey and Chunkocaster like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've been commenting telepathically throughout the entire thread using some pretty outrageous trigger words and no one has replied. Dared to telepathically consider the possibility of a corrupt media etc and the thread has not been deleted. That's proof enough for me. Debunked.:)

8. telemnemonics

I reported your thoughts to Big Brother mid February.
    They will be knocking on your door any minute now...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

Oh, never underestimate the psychic powers of the butt!
    Drives men to do all manner of stuff they never intended, as if driven by some hidden force...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

Yeah sure buddy, but if you can't repeat that on a game show, it proves you made it up!

11. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I once spent rather a long time trying to find the back of a tree. The leaves were giggling in my head. Ahh, happy, trippy daze.

12. telemnemonics

Yeah humans absolutely rush to explain away that which cannot be understood by conventional thinking.

The fact that most of the explanations are more plausible than the alternative possibility that humanity still has some stuff to learn gives plausible but false testimony great weight.
    And of course some of the plausible explanations are true, both randomly and also because Aunt Sadie did indeed have a wooden leg.

Now how about that stuff known as conventional thinking?

We keep using it as the preferred method for attempting to study and understand phenomena that fails the conventional tests.

So do scientists study the frequency of plausible explanations being true?
    Scientists do regularly discard last years conventional thinking when lab tests prove it was wrong.

Seems like science has investigated eyewitness testimony and found it to be highly unreliable.
    This was even done in a courtroom where an imposter rushed in and did some crazy stuff, then the judge and lawyers were asked to describe the individual and his actions.
    Their testimony was less accurate than random guesses.

Yet we still rely on eyewitness testimony in the courts.
    At least now we have DNA.

And inmates keep getting released from prisons...

13. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I don't watch television, ever, so I seriously doubt anyone will want me to appear on a game show.

For the record, the story is true.

:)

Skamania and telemnemonics like this.
  14. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

D-Pac and the other 'gurus' that PBS trots out during fundraising week are the prime reason I never sent them money.....the Joe Bonnamassa concert are the others... :cool:

Dzamuz likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

Well I have no problem believing the story, partly because I've had similar experiences including some that were pretty extreme.

One point worth considering is that we can observe these events, but myth debunkers presume that for the event to take place, and individual has to possess psychic powers.

Similarly, scientific tests need to assign an individual as possessing psychic powers to prove that such events take place.

Looking at history, it seems plausible that while psychic events are commonplace, and some individuals seem more often present at such events, nobody actually controls psychic phenomena.

Yet to prove psychic events, science demands that an individual control psychic events.

There are far too many aspects of the natural world which we can observe yet not control for the inability to control events to be proof that those events do not take place.

I would further speculate that charlatans who claim to possess psychic powers have little to do with the existence of psychic powers, just as individuals who claim to have weather controlling powers have little to do with the existence of weather.

There are science charlatans, stock market charlatans, medical charlatans, political charlatans, schoolyard charlatans etc etc.
    Those folks are not well qualified for scientific proof of anything other than charlatanism.

Spudly likes this.
  16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

My personal opinion is that if you start seeking this stuff out, you're asking for trouble in other areas.

17. telemnemonics

I don't follow the work of Deepak Chopra, but it's interesting to observe so many who have studied his work enough to know for a fact that he is a charlatan, yet cannot spell his name. Seems pretty basic if one has studied something and amassed some expertise, they would be able to spell the name of the thing that they studied.
    Am I wrong to suggest if you can't spell the name, you probably didn't study it?

What I know of him is that he claims that if we eat healthy stuff, don't eat unhealthy stuff, meditate, live with intention, do good things, stop doing bad things, practice Yoga, and act with kindness toward friends and enemies alike, our lives will be better than if we indiscriminately do whatever pops into our head, including stuff we know is harmful.

Yet we are in a society that pummels us with advertisements urging us to do whatever pops into our heads, no matter how much it harms us.
    So we live by the junk food and junk TV promoted ideals.

And ridicule those who suggest we have choices, while frequently make really bad ones.
    Hey I make bad choices, but I don't ridicule the option of living with intention.

WRT Chopra commenting on quantum physics, we have documented proof that Einstein sought out Eastern charlatans as he made his ground breaking discoveries.

And in fact quite a few advanced physicists have observed commonalities between quantum physics and certain ancient Eastern philosophy.

Now Deepak is maybe awfully full of himself.

I wonder how one would feel if they actually stopped doing harmful stuff, instead only doing beneficial stuff?
    That and maybe studying the relationships found between quantum physics and Eastern Philosophy?

Has anyone who ridicules those who have done such stuff, also tried living that way for let's say ten years?

Again, not a follower of Chopra, but his work is hard to avoid if you decide to live a physically and spiritually healthy life.
    IMO though, it's only coincidence that his stuff coincides with so much healthy stuff.

I just don't like him because he reminds me of that guy on Bay Watch.

Spudly likes this.
  18. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

In my case, there's no credible scientific method to 'prove' that what happened between my daughter really happened.

There's only her testimony, my testimony, and the recollections of my wife who was there with me on the evening in question. (And who knows? A police report from the Brevard County Sheriff's Department on file somewhere?)

Now, I could get behind submitting to a credible scientific experiment to determine whether enough evidence could be demonstrated to support the hypothesis that my daughter and I share a psychic connection.

I would be interested in that, for sure.

So many unknowns, and so many variables.
    Would it take a significant emotional event to trigger such a connection, or would the standard "what card am I reading right now" test be sufficient?

Clearly, geographical distance is not an issue.

Age, comparative levels of hormones between then and now, the current melatonin output of the pineal gland, etc etc. To that end; Could a similar long distance event (of a terrifying nature) occur, and there be no connection at all now, in 2019?

Food for thought.

:)

Skamania and telemnemonics like this.
  19. telemnemonics

Agreed at least in part!
    I gotta say, science keeps assigning cause and effect to events observed in the same situation.
    Studies that science claims indicate people who did (allegedly beneficial) A tended to also get (known to be bad) B pop up all the time. But I see little reason to believe it's not the other way around; where people predisposed to B tended to do A hoping to avoid B.

20. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

+1 ... my thoughts exactly.

"WHAT WE KNOW" is the limitation of our understanding, not a finish line.
    Quantum Mechanics and all the theory behind it is in it's absolute infancy. It would be terribly closed minded to believe we have all the answers already.

ravindave_3600 and telemnemonics like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.