Telenator Wide Range Humbuckers

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by chucksmi, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Cool. I can't open it because I don't have Excel.

Did they specify two different wire types?

2. jivetrain

jivetrain Tele-Holic

i think not; it says 10" coax for each, but i don't think that has to do with the wire. i think they're just listing two randomly tested examples rather than definitively stating that production changed in '74, but it still demonstrates how different two of even the same version can be. it also confirms that they were machine wound (not much doubt about that though, was there?)

it seems the combined magnet pull for both coils wind up testing pretty about the same as an average alnico 5 single coil. still pretty strong for a humbucker, the only other bucker i saw that exceeds them is from a gibson firebird. boring and interesting at the same time :cool:

3. Scatterbrain

Scatterbrain Tele-Meister

Very cool data. Thanks for the link.

Try OpenOffice. It's open source, totally free and does virtually everything that MS Office does.

http://www.openoffice.org/

4. l5jazzplayer

l5jazzplayer TDPRI Member

Just got my WRHB Re-fit

I received my WRHB re-fit pickups from Telenator. It was Christmas in April! I got them installed and got to play through my little practice amp. Even through my small Class A 10 watt tube amp the sound was much better than I expected. I can't wait till tomorrow when the family is out of the house so I can run it through the Rivera. Even though it looks like a "Fender version of a Les Paul" it still has the very Fender sound I wanted without being to harsh or twangy. I know, "it ain't a Tele if it ain't got that twang". These pickups are full, and beefy but still have a strong single coil flavor. They are very responsive to volume settings and give a large pallet of tones simply by adjusting the volume and tone controls. The RI's come with a .022 uf tone cap which works well with Telenator's re-fits. No need to buy some boutique cap for me.

I took my newly outfitted guitar to show my friend with the 1978 Tele Deluxe with the original WRHB pickups (with the CuNiFe magnets). I had him power up his rig and pedal board and "dial up his sound". We then switched to the new RI guitar with Telenator's pickups. He could not tell the difference! It played the same and sounded the same. He did say it was a little beefier and slightly louder than his guitar, but he would be hard pressed to tell which one was being played. Another player with us played it and loved the new tone. He played it last week with the factory pickups, which weren't bad, but he liked the re-fit pickups much better. "You made a great purchase with those pickups."

As a guitar player, I select guitars that each have a unique voice. This new Telecaster definitely has a voice that is not the common Tele sound. To me, it fills the void that my Gibson humbucker type guitars don't but still has the warmth that I like. I feel VERY fortunate to have been given the opportunity to purchase these custom made, hand wound pickups. I know that if I had purchased this guitar a year later, I would be forced to buy a vintage set from eBay and pay 3-4 times what I paid for these, or live the the stock pickups. The only down side I can see is that if my guitar were lost, stolen, damaged in a fire, or other such calamity, it would be irreplaceable, at least at a reasonable price. Vintage instruments run $2700 -$3500 if you can get them. Many of these fine guitars are being parted out, and thus are unobtainable. My guitar only cost me $1200 including the pickups and case. This is a far cry from what the vintage units cost, and I get the vintage sound. Believe me, I'll treat this like a vintage guitar. Thank you Telenator for your pursuits and achievements in this area. I'm one of the lucky few that have them.

5. Telenator

Wow! I'm actually blushing! I am so happy you like your retro-fit pickups. A lot of time and effort has gone into this project and a lot of people have openly shared their information and experience as well. Even though we have tested this retro-fit against several original 70's Teles, I still get nervous when others compare them too. There are of course differences in wood and settings that can affect a side by side comparison. I do feel however that even in the presence of these differences, this pickup's "voice" is apparent and sounds authentic.

Thank you for your kind words. It has been a pleasure communicating with you during the entire process. Now go make some great sounds!!!

6. jivetrain

jivetrain Tele-Holic

i was aimlessly recording for the hell of it and thought i may as well post a bit for those who are still curious about these pickups, since telenator's done a great job and they deserve to be heard. the neck pickup is in the right channel, bridge in left, and middle is played muted somewhere between, with a little reverb/delay all around but for the most part still a good indicator of how they sound clean. anyone who recognizes the song is a huge nerd.

http://www.badongo.com/audio/14936502

7. SimpleOne

SimpleOne Friend of Leo's

Yeah, thanks! I Like the sweet and warm clean on that...

Telenator...pardon if this has been brought up and addressed here.

Have you, and you must have (!), protected your ideas and techniques in the developement and execution of these pups.

Seems the natural place for these to be produced and placed would be in a Fender Tele...Fender should take notice. Being a big (Goliath) company they could easily coop your design without any attribution or compensation intended. I´d guess that Fender could just about reinterpret anything into mediocrity though. Reminds me of a much ballyhooed pup product, designed by a well known designer, at the invitation of Fender, which later the designer, IIRC, wasn´t especially happy, with in the end.

Oh and you make us all proud!!!

8. jivetrain

jivetrain Tele-Holic

fender could reproduce an alnico polepiece design like telenator's, but they also probably could have easily reproduced the original design with cunife magnets if they had wanted to. the reason they don't take advantage of their potential to make great pickups like these is that they have strict financial limits set for every part of the guitar's production. if you've ever bought a new fender, you've seen the survey they ask you to fill out which asks what type of music you like and how much money you typically spend on guitars. they use that info to create a database of how much money each type of musician can be expected to spend, which they use to determine how much their guitars should cost.

the '72 reissue series were expected to be popular among indie guitarists, people in their 20's who may not have $1,000 to spend on guitars. fender set the limit at about $700 and did everything they could to do justice to the original guitars while sticking to that budget; building in mexico is part of it, using cheap generic pickups is another part of it. if they had wanted to go all out and capture the original wide range sound they could have; it's not a matter of failing to have talented enough people (they have plenty), it's just costs. it's easy to get frustrated about it, but when you think about it what else can they do? they're a business after all, they have to market it to the people expect to buy it. so, having said that, i don't think they're interested in copping telenator's design. :cool:

9. Telenator

First off, nice sound clip jivetrain! The tones are terrific! Of course, I'm not biased at all, (nyuk nyuk nyuk), but seriously, the tone really is great. Thanks for posting it!

Secondly, this whole project played out in the open and all info has been disclosed. I thought it better to do it that way so others might give it a shot too. Little did I know how difficult it would be as the story unraveled.

There's nothing to "protect" in this retro-fit pickup because most pickup designs are pretty much "public domain" entities. That doesn't mean however, that I'm out of ideas, challanges or inspiration.

I just love a great sounding guitar!

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  10. lightnin1

lightnin1 Tele-Meister

I can't wait to try a set. I spoke briefly with Telenator about modding a set of pickups for me. Alas, I did not have the disposable income I'd hoped for but as soon as I do....!!BTW, Telenator was great to correspond with and quick to answer emails.Thanks man!

11. Telenator

My pleasure lightnin1. I love to talk shop. We've all got the disease here and we're all looking for the cure! More gear I say! LOL!

12. ESQUIREoholic

ESQUIREoholic Tele-Afflicted

Way Hugh props for the Telenator WRHP. I still can't believe what a difference this pickup made on my 72' Telecaster Custom neck position I've paired it with a Seymour Duncan Custom Shop BG1400 in the bridge position and I couldn't be happier. Kept the guitar lookin' stock but really has great tone now.
    Awesome!

13. SomeGuyNamedMat

SomeGuyNamedMat NEW MEMBER!

Telenator, what's your opinion of the Rio Grande 72 big bottom pickups?

14. Telenator

Rio Grande makes great pickups. I was considering a set for my Thinline at the time I came up with the idea to modify a MIM re-issue set. I would have gone with a set of the Rio Grandes but I just couldn't get past the look of the pickup.

Normally I'm not one to care about such things but I was trying to re-create my old original 72 Thinline so, it had to look right.

15. SomeGuyNamedMat

SomeGuyNamedMat NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for your help. I've been putting together my own custom remake of the 72 deluxe but was having trouble figuring out what pickups to put in. I finally came across those but couldn't find any sound clips of the pickups. You just saved me a bunch of time, Tanks

16. Telenator

Have a look at my website and click on "Pickup Mods." You might like what you see. Awesome tone and 100% authentic look. Sound clips too. A big improvement over the re-issues.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.