Telemaster build thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by NotJoeTelecaster, Mar 3, 2020.

1. NotJoeTelecaster

NotJoeTelecaster TDPRI Member

Hello everyone. I am in the middle of my winter project and wanted to start up a thread that logs my build.
    This is my main collection of parts.
    A rough finished CNC cut walnut jazzmaster body with tele pickup routing from Tonebomb guitars
    A rough finished walnut neck with ebony fretboard from Guitars by Steve Parker
    Sperzel locking tuners
    BKP piledriver pickups
    Schroeder bridge
    And that strip of Oak is for a control plate.
    P_20200124_143247.jpg

2. NotJoeTelecaster

The first piece I worked on was this oak control plate. Custom sized to hold a volume and 2 tone knobs, one of which is a push pull pot, and a 4 way switch. Had to size this out first so I knew how much longer I would have to make the control route in the body.
    It was rough cut out of 1/4" Oak and taken down to a thinner thickness through hand sanding. This allowed me to give it a bit of a rounded feel to it also. It was then finished in tung oil. P_20200206_195422.jpg P_20200219_172045.jpg

3. NotJoeTelecaster

This is the body after extending the control route down, sanding to 150, 180, and 220 grit, then wetting to raise the grain and sanding back with 220 again. It has just been wiped clean with mineral spirits. The neck has had all the same treatment so far, and that is where I stand. Up next is some pore filling and some more sanding. P_20200303_140358.jpg P_20200303_140413_1.jpg

4. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

That is some incredible looking walnut you've got there, can't wait to see it under finish. I, too, like ebony and pearl on my Fender-type guitars (lifelong acoustic roots showing through) Looking Good -TP

5. Larkins

Larkins Tele-Meister

What’s that body weigh?

6. NotJoeTelecaster

Thank you. It is a beautiful piece of walnut. I was so happy when I got my hands on it. Up next is a dark grain fill, then on to the oil finish with some more sanding in between. Keep an eye out for updated pictures.

7. NotJoeTelecaster

That's a good question. I actually haven't weighed it yet. I will do so tonight and post my result. For now my answer to how much does it weigh is a lot. It is definitely not a small or light body, but I am a pretty big guy too so small guitars look kinda toyish in my hands.

8. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm doing a Telemaster too. :)

Mine is a lightweight alder body and it's going to have EMGs, a Gotoh 6-saddle bridge and finished in black nitro.

Attached Files:

9. NotJoeTelecaster

That's awesome. I'm glad to see there is more than one of us who likes the jazzmaster body style with a telecaster hardware setup. You look to be about the same stage as I am. Good luck in the rest of your build.

El Tele Lobo and PeterUK like this.
  10. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thanks! The weather/humidity will dictate how quickly it's finished.

I'm hoping to do a dry run on the assembly at the weekend but my daughter is visiting from overseas so I may have to do the father/daughter bonding stuff.

I've built her a Johnny Cashcaster so it will involve guitars somewhere along the way. That's it next to here acoustic. :)

Attached Files:

11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Subscribed!

NotJoeTelecaster likes this.
  12. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Mmmm..... walnut. I love me some walnut - great looking wood. Looks good NJT. Can’t wait to see her finished.

13. NotJoeTelecaster

Body and neck with no hardware is 7lbs. It's going to be a beast.

Skydog1010 and PeterUK like this.
  14. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver TDPRI Member

I am thinking of doing one of these too, Alder body for lightness, with a couple single coil rail hum buckers. Great shape, I take it you are going for the 'natural' look with the walnut, so just clear coat ?
    One question, when you say 'wetted' it, how do you mean, is that what raises the grain so you need to sand fibres back again, if so, how many times you do that ? I am planing on painting mine but i have heard others mention this fibre raising thing even having to sand back undercoat.
    cheers

15. NotJoeTelecaster

Yes I used a rag that I soaked in water and then rung it out so it was damp and wiped down the body then hung it to dry for the day. That raised the grain so I could then sand it back again. I wiped it down a second time and when it dried I couldn't feel fibres so I was good with one time, but have had to do the cycle twice on some previous projects.

As for your question on finish, I will be using polymerized tung oil for a satin clear finish. It should look very much like in those pictures where the body appears wet. I had just cleaned the body with mineral spirits in that picture.

I love this body style with a tele setup and love to see that others are taking on similar builds. I hope you go through with yours and share your build with the rest of us.

16. Larkins

Larkins Tele-Meister

I got one in the works as well. The body is finished, just waiting on some free time to carve the neck.

I’ll post a pic when (if?) I complete it.

17. NotJoeTelecaster

I look forward to seeing it when finished

18. NotJoeTelecaster

First coat of pore filler spread on today. May need a second coat after sanding it back. P_20200307_143712.jpg

19. NotJoeTelecaster

Here is the body and neck after the pore filler was sanded back to 220 and wiped down with mineral spirits. Up next will be sanding to 320 and then the finishing process can start. P_20200308_105345.jpg P_20200308_105355.jpg P_20200308_122036_1.jpg P_20200308_122021_1.jpg

20. NotJoeTelecaster

Got all my hardware lined up and dealt with all the mounting screw holes today so I could sand back any lips that formed before I start on oiling the body so I decided to snap a quick sneak peek picture. P_20200309_141241.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.