TeleGas

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by J200george, Oct 11, 2014.

1. J200george

J200george TDPRI Member

I've had a chronic case of gas for two years now, and after realising as I was approaching my half century and that just about the only constant in my life was the love of guitars decided to purchase my first guitar in 22 years. Since then I can't help myself, think I am on a mission to own the best I can comfortably afford in each category of guitar.

In 1988 I bought a g&l asat, played in a band and never really considered anything else.

In 1991, I got myself a gibson j200.

In 1993, I got myself a Taylor 12 string... Awesome but never really used it.

That was me sorted until the approaching mid life crisis ;-p

2012 traded the Taylor for part exchange for a les paul custom black beauty.

2013 decided it was time to get myself a custom shop strat.

2014 always wanted a lucille, picked up a great second hand one on gumtree.

2014 an angus young SG came up for sale..... Oh hell why not?

Now I really want the tele twang in my life.......

The asat doesn't do the twang thang...

Heading out to try an American vintage 64 tele....only problem is I really would like a tele with a maple fingerboard, which the 64s don't have......

I know I need professional help and my playing doesn't warrant having all these lovely guitars but they all take me into a different place musically.

Was thinking of perhaps chopping in the lucille as part of the purchase of my tele....any thoughts on what I'd get trading her in against an avri 64? Currently about £1422 on guitar guitar uk.

I'd probably regret trading in but tbh it's now at the stage of one in one out....(maybe)...

2. Noob

Noob TDPRI Member

Not sure about your trade, but if you're after a tele with a maple fretboard it sounds like the 52 Reissue might be closer to what you're after. Have you looked at that model? And if you (like me!) can't justify or don't want to spend a lot of cash on a new guitar, I've heard the Classic Vibe 50s Squier is an excellent choice for tele twang - in Australia they go for around $550 new, so if the prices are similar that should be around £300. The only reason I haven't got one yet is because I don't have the space for storage :(

3. SkipParis

SkipParis Tele-Meister

"American vintage 64 tele....only problem is I really would like a tele with a maple fingerboard, which the 64s don't have......"
    Try the 58 AV also.

4. J200george

J200george TDPRI Member

Draw to the 64 after trying load of options...... 58.... I will look around thanks.

5. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

I prefer maple myself but once I bought my 64, it didn't matter anymore. A 64 will do that to you.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  6. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I always thought that midlife crisis occurs in your early 40's, to deal with it you get a younger girl friend, divorce the wife and finally a motorcycle. By the time you're in your 50's you're settling down and catching up with old passions. I rekindled my love of guitars when I turned 50 and stumbled into the Tele world when I couldn't find a Strat that spoke to me. That was suppose to be my next and last guitar.. haha.. Eventually I bought several FCS Teles and thought I was done but there's always something else available.

When the AV series came out I planned on buying one of each and got a 52 right a away.. decided that the 58 neck was to thin for me and was just going to get the AV64. For some reason I just couldn't pull the trigger on the AV64 and bought several other lesser guitars that didn't satisfy my GAS at all. Finally this summer I finally broke down and bought the AV64.. Lately I tend to lean towards Maple necks myself but always liked the look of Rosewood.. the AV64 doesn't feel like Rosewood when I play it. It has that same lively feel that a really nice maple necked guitar has. I kind of regret some of the lesser guitars but they'll get passed down to younger members of my family or sold off. The ones I'll keep for now will get modded.

7. xtrajerry

Would be really great if Fender released a Maple Cap version of the 64.

8. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

Did they have maple cap 64's in 1964 or were they just rosewood?

9. xtrajerry

Think they were available special order from 59. Didn't really hit the scene until 65-66..

10. J200george

J200george TDPRI Member

A day playing lucille made me realise she's not for trade. I'm going to trade my g&l. She's vintage but really just not cutting it sonically for me. Great to play but I can't justify two tele types on my "mission". Hate trading in though but if I do not get a reasonable buck for it I will walk and try to sell privately.

11. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Good luck......there will always be one more......I've tried to convince myself that I'm only another Tele and a Jazzmaster from closing out my collection....

12. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Pleased that the Lucille is staying!

13. J200george

J200george TDPRI Member

Just had to have a much more classic tele sound..... Got myself a cherry red avri 64 telecaster.

Simply cannot put her down.... This may just be my go to guitar.

How I've lived so long without a proper telecaster in my life is beyond me.

14. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Congrats on the Telecaster. I was reading through the threads before telling you to not let a little thing like a perceived lack of talent keep you from your dreams. I don't.

Congrats again!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.