1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecasters with chunkier necks

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by medownsouth, Mar 7, 2021.

1. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Sold 2 of my low end strats this last week. Have about 1000 bucks; going to buy a proper tele to replace my worn out peavey reactor. Looking at either a vintera modified, or baja (if I can find one). I know these have chunkier necks. Are there any others in my price range w/ beefier necks that youse are aware of? Thanks in advance.

2. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Measure or play before you buy if you want one. Production Fenders with supposed big neck carves can be very inconsistent. I once got a 2015 '52 reissue online and it arrived with a neck that was .82-88 or so, not very big at all. Then, I returned it for a '56 Strat reissue that the sales guy said was more likely it had a big neck....and it was the same size! I kept it anyways, but that was lame as both were described in FMIC marketing to have "chunky" necks.

There's some 50's Baja's with similar medium sized necks yet some are very stout. I like the road worns at that price point.

Again, try or measure before you buy.

medownsouth and Hibernian like this.
  3. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

If you’re interested in the Thinline models, the reissued ‘72 Thinline Customs have full necks.

medownsouth likes this.
  4. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The original version Vintera modified 50s Telecaster had the sweetest V neck. I wish I had gotten one.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    medownsouth likes this.
  5. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

You are within striking distance of used AVs...52, 58, 64. At this point, I would keep saving. But with that said, you can still snag a Baja for $600 or less on the right day.

6. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

or buy any Tele & put on a Wormoth '59 Roundback neck. its like an LP. a really great neck for my fat old fingers. they also make 2 fatter ones

7. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Yeah I've got some big old sausage fingers

carpenter, bendecaster and dogmeat like this.
  8. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

In a shop I one got to try a baja, MIM classic series esquire and 50s vintera side by side, and they all had a very similar neck (with the vintera ever so slightly thicker than the others).

I also tried a broadcaster that felt pretty similar.

In your price range, I think any 50s style Mexican tele will do.

RichCuellarPDX and medownsouth like this.
  9. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I’ve read that the Vintera 50s Tele has a chunky neck, but I haven’t tried one out for myself.

I bought a modified ‘50s Vintera Tele shortly after they came out and mine has a pretty chunky neck. I tried a few others out that year that had a similarly big neck.

I generally don’t like small necks. I’d probably play my Classic 50s Strat a little more if the neck was a bit bigger.

medownsouth likes this.
  10. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Have you checked out the MJT Tele Ebay page? You can build a killer partscaster for just over $1,000, pretty much no cut corners anywhere.

Snipe a MJT body off Ebay for around $300, or custom order for a little more
    Add a MJT pickguard for $75
    Get a Warmoth neck in the profile, fret size, radius, woods of your choice for $200-300
    Get Glendale or Callaham or Rutters hardware
    Get some nice tuners, I like the Gotoh Magnalocks which look vintage but have the thumbwheel
    Get some really nice pickups from the winder of your choice

Do it all just exactly the way you like it. All USA parts.

You can pay a local luthier to screw it together for you, file the nut, do the setup, or DIY. Plenty of advice here to help, and the CNC parts are so precise that it's an easy process.

Or you can get a mid level Fender Corporation product with polyurethane finish, cheaper hardware/pickups/tuners, and somebody else's specs.

11. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

Hey, is your Vintera Tele's neck edges rolled a bit?

12. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

This is exactly what I was thinking. There is a '58 AV for sale on Craigslist in Orange County for $1000. A heck of a nice guitar for the money.

As for necks, I did an A/B with my '52 and my '64 and I came to find out how much more I liked the thinner '64 neck. Personal preference.

13. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

A little bit, yeah.

14. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

Hmm, interesting. I thought all Vintera necks seemed to have sharp edges. Maybe I was wrong. Thanks.

15. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

You're not going to like my suggestion. Look at another brand of T Style. Fender is of the mindset you will buy what we make not what you want. It's called marketing.

16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

From a sample of only 2 guitars, my MIM Classic 50s Tele has a slimmer neck than my friend's Baja. His isn't quite as fat as the '51 Fat U' I put on my Partscaster, but not too far behind. I don't know how much they vary though.

17. Larrydata

Larrydata TDPRI Member

My partscaster has a fat Allparts neck, but I’m at about 10 weeks into waiting for my Warmoth 59 neck to be built delivered. Very excited...getting close to completion.

18. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

My 55’ thin skin reissue has a super chunky U on it.

19. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The American Professional have a deep-C neck - they feel a bit chunkier than most. You might find a used one for $1000.

Baja is a good choice.

Most of the others that have the large U shaped neck also have the 7.25 inch fingerboard radius, which is a no go for me.

Maguchi likes this.
  20. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

The baja neck is great, definitely on the chunky side.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.