Telecasters bodies with a belly cut

Bigjo

NEW MEMBER!
Looking to put together a partscaster and would like a Telecaster body with a belly carve. Looking for traditional Single-Single pickup routing.

Which models have a belly carve?

I'm open to Squier, MIM fender, USA Fender

Thanks for the input

John C

Friend of Leo's
Most modern Teles are routed for a neck humbucker, middle single coil and bridge single coil, so anything you're going to find with a belly cut is likely going to have that routing.

That being said you'll find the belly cut on these models over the years:

1. Tele Plus v2 made from 1995-1998
2. American Deluxe v1 made from 1998-2003
3. American Deluxe v2 made from 2004-2009 - but only the alder body versions; ash body versions are slab body
4. American Deluxe v3 made from 2010-2015 - alder body all years, ash body gets the belly cut in 2012
5. American Standard made from circa March 2012-2016
6. American Elite Tele made from 2016-2019
7. American Ultra Tele made from 2019-present
8. American Ultra Luxe Tele made from 2021-present
9. MIM Player Plus Tele made from 2021-present

I think anything else that has the belly cut is routed for 2 humbuckers, but I could be wrong about that.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
9e12e2b1b6e458b1eea20dddbd31bb66-1024-80.jpg.webp
Fender Modern Player Telecaster Plus has a bellycut. I have this guitar.
They were made in China and you probably could get a used one cheap.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
I wish i could find a body with vintage bridge mount and both belly AND forarm cut like a strat. The arm cut is even more important to me because i have found it's what make it easier for me to play strats due to the different angle of my forarm due to the cut. Even after playing mostly teles in the last 10 years i still can't play them as well as a strat. But bodys like that are impossible to find even tho there are some out there because i've seen em.

rockclimber

TDPRI Member
I wish i could find a body with vintage bridge mount and both belly AND forarm cut like a strat. The arm cut is even more important to me because i have found it's what make it easier for me to play strats due to the different angle of my forarm due to the cut. Even after playing mostly teles in the last 10 years i still can't play them as well as a strat. But bodys like that are impossible to find even tho there are some out there because i've seen em.
Just get an aftermarket body (Warmoth etc.). There's nothing special about a Fender body.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
While I go back and forth between forearm cuts I must say that I love belly cuts on a Telecaster. I'm not up to some of our other members ability to give specific models. I just know what I like.

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
2021-22 Squier Affinity Teles have the belly cut.

I had a damaged one sent to me around Christmas last year that I returned for the LPB Bullet - which I much preferred. The belly cut just felt wrong, somehow. YMMV.

TelemanYYC

NEW MEMBER!
Looking to put together a partscaster and would like a Telecaster body with a belly carve. Looking for traditional Single-Single pickup routing.

Which models have a belly carve?

I'm open to Squier, MIM fender, USA Fender

Thanks for the input
Richie Kotzen Tele. Amazing value has arm rest and belly cut sounds great and high quality.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My first tele, its body made by my son using the T. Downs blueprints, has a belly cut. That was at the suggestion of George, the local shop's luthier who gave me the board it's cut from. George also suggested the reverse controls, and I've favored both features since then, as well as the wide fat neck.

Busking Rig.jpg

vanr

Tele-Afflicted
My MIM Players Tele HH has the belly cut. Doesn't bother me.

ponycar

Tele-Meister
I have a lovely book matched Alder, chambered, Warmoth. 3.5 lbs. If you think Alder is not an attractive wood in a natural finish, no stain or dye, I'd like you to see mine. Unfortunately not in my possession while traveling. Oops, found a pic. It's the blackguard. Other body is a 7/8ths Alder that I posted for sale here but zero interest.

Attachments

• 20220203_134538.jpg
    20220203_134538.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

stomped box

Tele-Meister
Mod Shop Teles also have a belly cut.

Really? All of them? I do not see that as an option, I do not see that mentioned anywhere, and it's not represented in the rendering of your guitar on the site. I'm planning to order a Mod Shop Tele and man would I be unhappy if it came with a belly cut. The belly cut goes on the belly not the Tele. imo.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's

Like this?
20160531_143721.jpg
20160531_143748.jpg

I like deep contours!