1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecasters and Les Paul Sound Alike...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gretev1, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I have one of each and neither sounds like the other. Overdrive and Fuzz boxes hide the natural tonal characteristics of each, but even then I can still tell the difference.

2. slacquin

slacquin TDPRI Member

I once put Les Paul strings on a Tele and now it won't fit in it's case . Other that that it sound almost guitar-ish.

3. brashboy

brashboy Tele-Meister

Remember how surprised we were many years ago when Page said he used a Tele on Stairway? And recall what a great jazz guitar a tele makes in the hands of a master like Bill Frisell...

3-Chord-Genius and bcorig like this.
  4. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bridge pickups are close.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  5. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was stunned and staggered that a Tele was used on Stairway.
    Equally amazed that Reelin In The Years was a Strat.

6. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I think Alder Tele's sound more like LP's than Ash bodied Teles.

7. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

I think just about all electric guitars sound very much alike when over driven (and none of them sound good to me that way).

Played clean (the only way I have ever played since 1957).they certainly sound nothing alike.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

24.75 scale stuff, just sounds numb and seems to have less definition to it.

I like the 25.5 because it reminds me of the tenant above me at one of the apartments I rented. This gal would walk around up there with heels on, and the sound cut right through her hardwood floor, my ceiling, and straight to my libido..........

mimmo likes this.
  9. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I’ve already posted on this thread, but it interests me and I keep watching it and thinking about it.

Not so much about the degree of similarity an overdriven Tele and Les Paul may or may not have, but about the range of human experiential perception, our tendency to generalise, our tendency to ignore variables, our tendency to think that preference is argument, and stuff like that. Fascinating.

Anyway, directly to the topic at hand, while I can (I guess) hear differences of greater or less degree between overdriven electric guitar sounds, as well as with less and more driven/ distorted electric guitar, I think really I’ve come to the conclusion that for me, they’re all just a variation of one thing: the sound of electric guitar.

Playing the electric guitar, I care because personally some sounds connect more than others. Righteous tone, so to speak. And that feeling helps.

Listening though, I don’t care so much, unless I perceive it to be wholly out of place or grating, which really, seldom happens.

So, my answer to the OP now is: “yeah, but nuh, but yeah.” :)

Pax/
    Dean

chris m. likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.