1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecasters and Les Paul Sound Alike...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gretev1, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Frank Entele

Frank Entele TDPRI Member

I think you can make a Strat sound like a Lester (to a large extent) if you overdrive the sound enough. I have one Tele, one Strat and 5 LP’s. I’m not bored with the sound of any of them -

2. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, a Les Paul basically sounds like a big fat Tele. You don’t get quite the same spank and twang as a Tele, but I’d say they’re in the same genus.

I used to just own a Tele. Now I just own a Les Paul. Considering a Strat because the Tele and LP are similar enough for my purposes as a guy who doesn’t want one of everything.

3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think a lot of it boils down to the positioning, width, and strength of the pickups. 2 pickup guitars sound different from 3 pickup guitars because you can't get that really classic "quack" that comes from serendipitous comb-filtering that goes on between N-M or M-B combinations due to the magical differences regarding their locations under the strings. Two pickup guitars have that special hollow sound you get when you combine N+B (although you can wire a 3-pickup guitar to give you this combination as well).

One difference that is audible is that narrower pickups such as single coils tend to sound more focused and clearer partly because they are picking up a narrower field of the strings above them. Humbuckers, P90s, Jazzmaster pickups are physically wider and pick up a wider chunk of the strings, and so they sound just a bit less focused, more smeared out.

Since LPs and Teles are both 2-pickup guitars, they have a lot in common. An LP with P90s or splittable coils, or lightly wound pickups-- even more.

4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

For many- many years people thought Page used a Les Paul on Stairway To Heaven.
    If it wasn't for the Internet , we wouldn't have the aftermarket parts business for guitars , pickups and other parts and "upgrades ".
    Im old enough to remember when even a switch tip was a problem sometimes , and a switch , or a potmeter , forget it.....,...It's nice these days , when we get parts at the speed of light , but.,..most " upgrades" are sold to people who don't need them.
    Guitars and amps are my hobby too , but I'm fully aware that most of what I'm missing arent needed , it's just for fun.
    You can play anything on a Strat , LesPaul , SG or Tele as long as the general feel is there

Mike F likes this.
  5. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

6. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Holic

I sound bad whether I use a Tele or an LP, so I use a Tele because I like them better.

kookaburra likes this.
  7. roaddog57

roaddog57 TDPRI Member

Eric Clapton & Billy Gibbons always sound like Eric Clapon & Billy Gibbons no matter what they play- me too, just not nearly as good as those guys- my favorite is a tie between my SG, Strat, Telecaster & Les Paul Special with P-90s

8. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

You ALL need Hearing Aids ..... and judging a guitars native sound means playing it CLEAN without effects. Those of you that think a "dark" sounding LP sounds like a "springy" clear "Standard" traditional Telecaster model are nuts and you are "reading" the distortion effects, not the guitar.

Leo Fender would laugh his ass off at you.

pontiacfan46 likes this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Or, many we have played in bands, have recordings of shows, and have noticed how remarkably similar electric guitars sound in their intended milieu. Even when not distorted. Just a thought.

JL_LI, Jackroadkill and BorderRadio like this.
  10. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The one electric guitar tone that is hard for any other guitar to copy (unless similarly built) is the 2 and 4 position of a Strat, IMO. I don't think Nile Rodgers would ever sound the same without a Strat. The neck pickup only position of a Strat is also pretty distinctive, but not as distinctive as the "quack" positions....

kookaburra likes this.
  11. Laphillyboy

Laphillyboy TDPRI Member

I believe my 1983 USA Telecaster is mahogany bodied as are most Les Paul’s though with Maple cap. That may account for the similar tone.

Jimmy Page used his infamous “mirror” Telecaster exclusively on the first Led Zeppelin album. Not a LP in sight. Years later he got the same tones on stage from his Les Paul. Of course the Page mind and fingers have a lot more to do with that.

12. trajan2448

trajan2448 TDPRI Member

Generally disagree. Les Paul, if not really overdriven , is rather bland as a pop guitar. Better w heavy strings as a jazz instrument. A good TELE has much more twang and sparkle, can be finger picked, played with or w/o overdrive, and has more interesting tonal characteristics. Tele is a little harder to play, but you are rewarded. Btw, enough overdrive or distortion and almost any guitar sounds indistinguishable from another.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  13. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t think that a Les Paul and a Telecaster sound the same. Even so, with bands, my primary guitar has always been a Les Paul and a Telecaster has been my backup. I can pull off songs that I would normally play with a Les Paul more easily with a Telecaster VS a Stratocaster.

I normally use Les Pauls and Telecasters for more Traditional 70’s -90’s Rock and use my Stratocaster for SRV/Texas Blues.

6E786595-05D3-4476-ADB5-6BD8DAF9FCE2.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice herd. I love a gold top.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    gridlock likes this.
  15. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, but some changes since that photo was taken, that Goldtop is now gone and replaced with a Custom Shop R7 Goldtop.

The Stratocaster has been replaced with an American Standard and an American Professional.

8392C3C2-0F96-43F7-A6B6-C1ADB822CA2D.jpeg
    2D59AAE0-07AF-48E9-85CC-5744EF2526AB.jpeg

JL_LI likes this.
  16. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

I have, maybe, stupid many guitars. No two sound alike. I consider this as a good thing.
    There is some commonality among them, i.e., a bridge p'up sounds like a bridge p'up, etc. The most noticable variations are the notch positions on the 3-pickup models, which could be considered another category.
    At one point in time I had two strats that I had set up to be as alike as I knew how to get them. They were close. Would have had a hard time telling them apart blindfolded.
    Back to the original question: a lighter wound HB, a hot tele and even a Gretsch can easily have a lot of "overlap" because they are electric guitars after all.

17. Telebra

Telebra TDPRI Member

Wassamaddaforyou? This is the 'TELECASTER' Forum.
    A les paul is like a pretty super model. Nice to see for 15 seconds on the runway, pouting and giving you that "you'll never have this" look, too skinny to survive more than 10 minutes making love before she says 'stop that, you'll mess up my make-up'.
    Now a TELE, ah ha, she is like that rare time you have Wild Crazy sex all night long, keeps coming back for more and giving you more. All the curves in the right places and built to take it if a Real Man is playing her.
    P.S. throw all those pedals in the trash and YOU make the sounds,
    like Danny or Roy

18. Gretev1

Gretev1 Tele-Meister

You are straw manning me. The statement you quoted clearly states „when distorted“. To turn the whole discussion around on your terms by saying it is to be judged clean is an illegitimate move. This thread is about comparing the similarities of the two guitars tone when overdriven. According to your inappropriate and frankly irrelevant retort you must be either lost or have not understood the topic of discussion. Thank you for your input.

19. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I was going to say this is a classic lineup, but I did read your subsequent post, and that's darn nice too!

What's the rail bridge in the Strat?

20. Ragged Tweed

Ragged Tweed TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.