1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecasters and Les Paul Sound Alike...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gretev1, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Rick-kcmo

Rick-kcmo TDPRI Member

For me, not so much that they sound alike. But they really feel similar. By feel I mean the way they make music. Both very "direct" if that makes any sense, totally different from what you get with a Strat. I have a Strat, like it, don't play it that much. My three go to's are a Tele, a Les Paul and a 335. I have others but I could be very happy with these three.

2. pete692

pete692 TDPRI Member

I have always thought that any tele I’ve had in the past with the small vintage frets and vintage radius gave me that LP “honk”. Interestingly, when I get a Tele with 6105 wire and 9.5 radius, it just doesn’t have it. My theory is that the older style fretboards get more wood involved in each note, if that makes sense.

3. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Yes and no.. where I most disagree is with the difference in the bridge and saddles

4. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

The more pedals and signal processing you run em through the more they sound the same. Characterless, cliched, and clone... the opposite of musical IMHO.

Mike F likes this.
  5. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Get yer hearing checked

carpenter likes this.
  6. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

That is like saying that a DX7 sounds like a Hammond organ. Or vice versa. Maybe to someone it does, to the vast majority of players, does not.

carpenter likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, I'll say the question relates to why I generally use one guitar that works for me and change amps or pedals for other sounds.

My problem is I make every piece of gear sound pretty near the same.

OTOH me playing a Tele does not sound like Koch playing a burst!

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Now if I was a guitar demo guy trying to think of ways to get some internet chatter going, I might drop a comment like a Burst sounds like a Tele then back it up by playing Tele style on the burst.

Duotone likes this.
  9. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

this is a fascinating topic, and I’m genuinely enjoying all of the perspectives and experiences shared.

my life-long first choice has been a Les Paul - it’s just a feel, sound, and shape that I grew into - it was all I knew for quite a while.

the telecaster feels and responds differently when I play one - but I CAN get them close in sound.

To me, a bigger difference is how they each work with different amps and that’s a different topic for a different thread maybe.

Now...for me? Biggest issue? Weight - wearing my LP custom for four hours versus wearing my tele for four hours? Tele wins by a country mile!

as others have said so well, they’re both excellent choices - look at the late, amazing Jerry Reed and what he seemed to effortlessly do with either one in his paws.

10. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I used to have a Les Paul Recording Guitar. You could get pretty close to a Telecaster with that thing. Couldn't make it sound like a Les Paul to save my life though

11. olaftheholy

olaftheholy Tele-Afflicted

is tonality a real word?

12. Mark1406

Mark1406 TDPRI Member

I think if 'you' have a Tele and a Les Paul and you don't mess around with the volume and tone controls. The guitars will sound quite different clean. That is taking into account vintage style PAF pickups too.

As far as distorted tones go, the more the amp is distorted the less the guitar plays a part in the overall sound.

I think vintage PAF's do sound brighter than the standard humbucker but they are very different from Fender pickups.
    The construction is different, the sampling points are different as they are dual coil pickups.

Why would Keith Richards and everyone else who replaced the neck single coil with humbucker if it sounds the same?

Obviously it doesn't.

The Tele on steroids thing is something that has been doing the rounds on social media for a while.

I have tried the rolling the tone control down to shed highs and the Fender pickups sound good but never get there as they don't have the output or the mids. This is why the 808 and TS-9 were so popular.

Regards

Mark

Gretev1 likes this.
  13. cigaro

cigaro TDPRI Member

The tele bridge pickup has a twang and a Les Paul can't get there.

Gretev1 likes this.
  14. mictester

mictester TDPRI Member

The tele bridge pickup has a twang and a Les Paul can't get there.

I'm inclined to agree. However, I've been using a Yamaha SG2000 since I won it in a magazine competition in the late 70s. It's the only guitar I've tried that can go from the thin toppy pseudo-Telecaster twang right down to 335 territory just by twiddling the controls. It also has the lowest hum and noise of any guitar I've ever owned, which makes it perfect for recording. I gigged it a few times, but gave up, simply because of its weight!

I came to the Telecaster quite late in life - having owned a couple of Strats and various PRS and LPs - and I think that I've found the sound that I want at last! I've also largely given up using effects - except a little reverb on the amp, sometimes a bit of (optical) compression to even out my dodgy picking and a clean boost pedal (my own design) to give the amp a bit of a push in solos. My amps are either AC30 or Mesa Boogie MkII, but I also "direct inject" into an amp simulator (my own design again) when recording or rehearsing at "bedroom" levels. The Telecaster is a great gigging guitar, but I had quite severe hum problems with the original electronics. A re-wire and some screening largely sorted that out!

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It is, in English.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  16. PHutch

PHutch TDPRI Member

Either. The different feels can get me off, sort of like dancin' with a different girl. OK, I'm 71 and I've been doin' this since I was 12, I'm not famous, I've had lots of fun and have owned a few guitars that I wish I still had, but let's face it, most of us are not collectors or independently wealthy.
    I like to string up and play one guitar all night, but right now I'm usually working with one of these four, two Teles, a 2018 Faded LP w/StetsBar (weight relief, I got it off the wall with real bad fret sprout super cheap) and an ES335 flatwounds/StetsBar, I take the one that I think will fit the gig, usually the ones with whammy bars and .009s for rock or dancin' bars. I'll find what I want in whichever I've got, no pedals - straight in to Fender Blackfaces, but there is a little caveat, I've got low output MojoTone Clones on the LP because they are crisper than the fat, stock 490s which I hated (I liked the guitar in the store without plugging it in - I bought the guitar, not the pickups), and the 335 has BB1 and BB2s which are also low output, cleaner, so I guess I am chasing a clean output like the Teles give me. And I want to say that I like the SCNs on my 2005 Am Dlx the best, it is easily the most versatile guitar and is my favorite with flatwounds on it. The other Tele is a 2013 Am Dlx with N3s with a Trem King installed, and it's a killer for spankin' country. As long as I'm sayin', I use a PRRI/JBL E110 for crankin', a DRRI/JBL D120 clean, a CVR sometimes (best trem, great blues amp) and a ToneMaster DR. Not all at once. The TM is getting the most work right now, at 71 the 24lbs is really great, and it lets the Teles sing real good.

17. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

They all sound alike when you overdrive them. You can't tell what guitar somebody is playing on most rock records.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    MilwMark likes this.
  18. Gretev1

Gretev1 Tele-Meister

Why would Keith Richards and everyone else who replaced the neck single coil with humbucker if it sounds the same?
    [/QUOTE]

This might be a slight change of topic but Keith Richards had a humbucker installed in the neck position of his Telecaster because, as I understand it, the neck pickup on his 1953/1954 blackguard would have had a „bassy“ tone with the highs completely rolled off as was standard for blackguard Telecasters of that era. Maybe that‘s why the mod was so popular on blackguard Telecasters. Because the bass tone neck pickup was not necessary especially in the advent of electric bass. So Keith just switched out a pickup that unusable for him for a humbucker with some power.

19. NeckP90

NeckP90 Tele-Meister

I think the underlying truth here is that most electric guitars sound remarkably similar in their raw state. I know people fight to the death about wood, construction techniques, capacitor brand and all the rest of the voodoo/mojo/anecdotal and so-called tonewood stuff but at the end of the day, most electric instruments can sound like any other, certainly in the context of a band or a recording. The way we play the instrument has, for me, a much more audible impact on the sound than the instrument itself.

What's interesting about this thread is that many tonesnobs would probably suggest that a Tele and a Les Paul are about as far apart sonically as you can get, (excepting perhaps hollow jazz boxes with a single neck pickup etc). But they really aren't. That Bonamassa clip says it all, really.

Mike F and MilwMark like this.
  20. geckobaldy

geckobaldy TDPRI Member

I have managed to get my '88/'89(?) Am.Std tele thru a Korg toneworks G3 pedal into a Musicman 65RP combo to sound like Kossof. True story - or may be it's in my fingers :lol:

boris bubbanov and Gretev1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.