Telecaster without the label?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by still_fiddlin, Dec 26, 2015.

1. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Do all Telecasters actually say "Telecaster" on them?

I was just looking, like many of us do, at guitars I can't afford, but I had a question about this one on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Cust...er-2-Tone-Sunburst-w-case-relic-/201489495951

The seller has it listed as a Telecaster, but the word is absent from the headstock. I asked the seller and they said the COA says Telecaster. (I guess I would have expected that to be a "Nocaster.")

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

No, there are several tele models that just say Fender, from Nocasters to FMTs.

3. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Looks legit. But I would still request a pix of the COA even if the seller wants to fudge out the serial number like was done on the pix with the bridge.

4. Bortyeast

Bortyeast Tele-Holic

I'd like to see the belt buckle that did that...

5. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Well, any Texas crest buckle, of course ;). Without putting your fingers into it, it might be more of a staining than real wear, but if you aren't putting a cover over your belt, and playing a lot, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that, honestly.

I agree it's a little over the top for most - I'm not a fan of the heavy relic look, myself. The lacquer removal in the waist bothers me more than the back, since it's just a little unnatural, no matter how much you grabbed the guitar, it should be a lot less than the bouts, and more incidental chipping, IMO.

Anyway, back to my original question - a 1951 T-style from Fender without a model name could be a Nocaster or Telecaster, is what I get. :confused: If it was real, and not CS, how would you know the difference? Are Nocasters all "blonde/blackguards?"

6. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

A very good looking relic'd 'Nocaster' is what my eyes are seeing.

A CS 'Nocaster' will simply say 'Fender' on the front of the headstock, with a CS decal on the back, see below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The COA should or will state that this guitar is a 'Nocaster', at least on the COAs of the ones that I have seen (see also below, photo of a typical COA) ...

[​IMG]

The actual Serial Number for the guitar that you are interested in can be seen (and easily read) on the bridge plate photos of the ad. Why not give the folks at Fender a call and let them tell you exactly what this guitar is, and what it should arrive with. Ask them to email you a spec. sheet of this actual guitar. An excellent free and fast service from their friendly Customer Relations Department.

No, not all CS Nocasters are 'blonde/blackguards'. The folks at Fender have made a number of 'Nocasters' in different finishes.

See below, a CS relic'd 'sunburst' 'Esquire' with a white guard. Not quite a 'tele' or a 'Nocaster' I know, but you'll get the general idea.

[​IMG]

Good Luck!!

7. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

not to confuse matters but the steel saddles suggest its a 1950 Broadcaster
    thats had the Broadcaster label cut off (aka "nocaster")
    Broadcasters had steel saddles until late 1950

most of the relic treatment washes off easily

8. christhebrit

christhebrit Tele-Holic

These were 2014 limited series. From memory available in sunburst, aged white and cinnamon red. They also made strats in the same colours with gold hardware.
    I saw a couple over here in the U.K.- seriously beat up looking.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.