Telecaster with Soft V

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by HighlonesomeF5, Aug 31, 2019.

1. HighlonesomeF5

HighlonesomeF5 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Went to GC to check out a tele Am Pro to see if I like the deep c neck. Im new to electrics. I also looked at a Eric Clapton Strat, Gretsch 5420, PRS S2.
    Well didn't like the scale length on the Gretsch and PRS or the Deep C. To my surprise i liked the strat neck snd sound much better! It seemed to have more twang than the tele. Have I lost my mind? Do any tele come with a soft v-neck? I am more into good country than hard rock and generally love Steve Wariner and Vince Gill.

2. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Brad Paisley tele has a soft V (I have one and the V is subtle and perhaps it varies from guitar to guitar).

Seasicksailor and coloradojeff like this.
  3. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

The 50's Baja neck is called a soft V, but it honestly never felt like one to me. NOTHING like a Clapton strat, which is a pretty sublime feeling neck if you like tiny little frets....

gwjensen likes this.
  4. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Get the EC Strat - the only guitar I regret selling.

Clifton C and Chicago Matt like this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

All this talk about neck profiles does you no good in my view. A "soft V" means something different to every neck builder and some are more of a D profile or has huge shoulders...no 2 seem to be alike. You really have to get your hands on a neck to see if it fits your hand and style, just no other way about it.

Like was already noted, the Baja neck really doesn't feel like a soft V due to the shoulder size, but it is what they call it. That same description in a warmoth neck will not feel the same. If you liked the strat neck so much, no reason you can't put that neck on a telecaster body...many have including Clapton.

6. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

+1, although I didn't sell mine, a 2005 that I bought new. If I could only have one guitar, that would be it. But....

If you still want a Tele, check out a 50s Road Worn Tele while you still can. The soft V neck with the sanded finish and 6105s that comes on those is sweet. You might owe it to yourself to try one.

7. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

The Fender Japan Telecasters have V necks iir.
    The blue flower Tele feels very similar to my strat from the same series.
    Not as pronounced as the Jimmy Vaughan Tex Mex strat.
    Also maybe try the classic 50s Tele. Not a v but feels pretty comfortable to me switching between my Tele and strat.
    I’m not sure if any of the new Fender mim kept those neck profiles.

8. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

I try to play each guitar with an open mind. I usually don't like chunky necks, but I tried out an American Original 50s Telecaster the other day and the neck felt great! So I wouldn't put too much stock into what each model claims to have. Just play them and see what feels good to you.

Milspec likes this.
  9. SwampTwang

SwampTwang TDPRI Member

Sounds like you might need that Clapton Strat. ;)

Clifton C likes this.
  10. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I really like the neck on the Jimmie Vaughn Strat. That neck (for me) defines "soft V".

Smokyboy likes this.
  11. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Just get the Clapton. The sound is also unique with the mid boost circuit.

Clifton C likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.