1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecaster weight loss program

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by dogmeat, Jan 18, 2021.

1. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

due to "circumstances" I've been building partscasters. one strat and 2 tele's. and since I'm old and feeble I decided to make some light guitars.

start by drilling out the back side so that the top is about 1/4" thick and the sides about 3/4" after the chisel clean up. I glued in some blocks of ash where the bridge mounts....

P1110353.JPG

then I milled a slot from the neck to the bridge block

P1110356.JPG

I glue in a beam for strength and sonic continuity to ash bridge block...
    P1110357.JPG

and mill 1/8" off the back. then I glue on a piece of 1/8" Baltic birch plywood.

P1110363.JPG

finish it out with a burst front and black back...

P1110343.JPG

and actually, the one above is a different body than the one in the first 4 pix but was done the same way. Bootstrap Sweet Serrano pickups on a 4 way switch and a JM whammy bar and it's still WAY lighter than any Tele I have ever picked up. it sounds great too. I have more pix of this build and pix of the last project. the last one is lighter yet because no whammy bar.

tomorrow I will post pix of the latest one. I put binding on the back to hide the plywood edge. that way I could use a color other than black on the birch ply. it turned out good but binding is a lot of work

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  2. tewiq

tewiq Tele-Meister

I have an ash 12 pounder that needs this treatment so I'll be watching intently. :D

dogmeat likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I like it!

Be fearless!

You have some nice equipment. And I don't say that to just any guy ;)

crazydave911 and dogmeat like this.
  4. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

here's pix of the latest. this is one has Bootstrap Sweet Serrano pickups with a 5 way superswitch to add paired single coils, and 'buckers in series. that series bucker sound is great! you can do that with a 4 way switch. pairing one coil from each pup is OK, but not worth the hassel. I may just put a 4 way in since I have one. or maybe save that for the next Strat project. Wormoth 59 Roundback (fat) neck, and Schaller bridge. as for the finished weight... 5 pounds

P1110377.JPG P1110378.JPG P1110379.JPG P1110380.JPG

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  5. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Very pretty.

I've had impossibly heavy pieces of ash too.

tresgatos 059.jpg

reglued strips from the same piece to the back...
    tresgatos 061.jpg
    Front stays with it's 1pc glory.
    tresgatos 026.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.