Telecaster vs. Les Paul

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RL52, Jun 22, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I find it's those pedals that make different guitars sound more the same, but we do tend to hear guitar "sound" more as playing style.

Funny how many times fairly clean classic Rock is duplicated with much more dirt than the sound being copied.
    Duane and Dickey sounds, Angus sounds, almost always these old time sounds are attempted by adding lots of gritty pedal distortion.
    Pedal dirt is the fastest route to all sounding the same I know of.
    We can do that with the amp too though, by dialing up the gain with the cleaner guitar.
    For me it's not the tone of a guitar as much as it's the clarity, and in particular the bass clarity.

What a Tele can do that a LP cannot do as well is get bass clarity with dirt.
    Makes sense to grab the clearer guitar when using a muddy bottom amp in the studio.
    Otherwise you can get pretty much the same sounds with either guitar, or get different sounds if you choose.
    Joe Bonamassa does a demo of a LP into a Deluxe where he gets some convincing Tele like tones.

2. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

Yeah, I agree with all of this. Myself, I don't often use overdrive/fuzz pedals, but I often use reverb, delay, and tremolo pedals, and I can hear a big difference between my Tele and LP at the same settings. With each guitar within easy reach, I'm not sure why I'd prefer to mess with all of the settings required to make one sound like the other.

There is a Duke Robillard album where he uses three or four different guitars listed on the album cover for each song. I owned all of the guitars at the time. On one of the songs I could swear he was using a Gretsch, but it turned out to be a studio LP. Go figure.

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

I think that type of statement came from way back in the day before master volume amps & Tele single coils didn't drive amps the way humbuckers do.

Nowadays there's so much gain on most amps the only difference between the two is a matter of how far you turn the gain knob.

4. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

I completely understand. I wanted a Les Paul from day one, but could not afford one. I got a Tele instead. Then a strat.

When I was finally able to get a Les Paul it felt soooooo weird.

But the heart wants what the heart wants.

Bruxist likes this.
  5. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Easy. Tele. Pauls have too many knobs.

6. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

Les paul is a more refined product but it's not for me. Dislike the weight and like the distinct sound you get from single coils and a tele bridge.
    A lot of band and musicians I like use them and get great sounds out of them...

Funny that teles aren't in use more for the heavier rock...after all it was invented on a dragon tele...

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Funny that you mention. I hadn’t consciously notice this until quite recently.

But I love to play my telecasters equally sitting down and standing up. Every time I pick up my Les Paul to goof around at home – sitting down – I hate the darn thing. Then I bring it to rehearsal, play it standing up and fall in love again.

Something about that curved top and the way the bridge sits on a Les Paul works perfectly standing up for me, but is uncomfortable sitting down.

DHart likes this.
  8. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

I baby my Les Pauls keeping them in the cases, but my tele is just a dirty girl ready to be picked up anytime. :oops:

DekeDog likes this.
  9. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I did something similar to my SG...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regarding Tele Vs LP I play both... but my LP has P90s (a Classic Player Plus)

rz350 and Bruxist like this.
  10. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Too cool. Got any sound clips?

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Les liked more...

MilwMark and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  12. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Both have it's merits, it's rather impossible to name a winner.
    Personally I prefer archtops compared to flattops. I'm playing with fingers only, no plecs and i prefer a certain angle of my right hand towards the strings, that doesn't work as well with flattops.
    I also prefer a P90 in neck and a humbucker or P90 in bridge-position and I find the old Tele bridge with 2 strings for one rider just not suitable for 2019.
    BUt then; my main guutar is a hollowbody with a floating bridge.
    Each to his own.....

DekeDog likes this.
  13. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Pick up vs sports car....................kinda pointless open ended question I feel

14. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Those of us who play a clean-style, without overdrive, will be able to easily hear distinct differences in the tones coming from a Tele or Strat vs. a Les Paul, SG, ES-, or PRS.

Add a bunch of pedals, overdrive, chorus, etc. and those distinct tonal differences are quite easily lost.

Les Pauls and humbucker guitars are great... if you like ‘em! :)

Overall, I much prefer the tones and the playability offered by Teles and Strats.

Bruxist likes this.
  15. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

Yep... I've gone from preferences for solid bodies to semi-hollows to fully hollow, back to semi-hollow, and now semi-hollow and solids. My preferences are now for more articulation in pickups whether they be underwound humbuckers, P-90s, or single coils.

16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Here ya go. You want a fritz rat bastard.

upload_2019-6-23_20-4-36.jpeg

brookdalebill and TheGoodTexan like this.
  17. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That is just a hilarious statement because of the differences between the two guitars.

18. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    That's the closest I've ever seen. But it's still a 25 1/2" scale bolt-on neck.

I'd really like to see it with a 24 3/4" set neck.

That being said, it's a beautiful instrument, and might really sound terrific.

19. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

Phillips or flathead?

Both have their unique place and are dependent on the needs of the player.

I like Teles much more. They perfectly fit what I do. But I know guys who are that way with LPs, Strats, SGs, Rics, etc.

20. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

The volume knob on a guitar interacts with the pickup, so a mere change of control setting may not produce exactly the same change as an output difference. Also, tube amps generally do not have as much gain in the front end preamplifier section as solid state amps, making the input level necessary for a desired level of distortion or coloration different. Some people use clean gain pedals in the effects chain to fix that. With solid state, you can pretty much run with any pickup output level and achieve any kind of amp drive with just knob twiddling.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.