Telecaster vs. Les Paul

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RL52, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

Like asking me which testicle I prefer .

2. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I’m glad they both exist.
    I had my “L.P. Days...” I call those “the dark days.”
    If they’re weren’t L.P. guitars, T styles couldn’t have as much attraction to me as they do.
    In other words, for me, the L.P. makes the T cooler just by existing.

3. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

I'm in the don't need much camp.* I have one of each.

I find that one is not better than the other, but rather that they compliment / contrast each other.

Play one for a while, and the other makes a nice, refreshing, inspiring change. Then flip back after a while, for the same effect.

Double tracked and panned left & right, they can work really well to give a nice general kinda unique combined sound, but their differences also help with stereo separation to give that fat, wide guitar sound.

The caveat being, as others have noted, start gaining up / adding dirt and they can sound less tonally seperate / distinct, and surprisingly similar.

Pax/
    Dean
    * Cos it's the internet, I'm gonna add that I make no judgement here, it's just me. Two contrasting electric guitars are all I want. If anyone has the resources and the inclination to have walls of guitars, great. In fact, I'd like to visit :)

(Oh, once again I forgot I also have an old Ibanez Roadster lying around somewhere :rolleyes:)

Mad Kiwi and StrangerNY like this.
  4. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Leo put a tone knob on the Tele for a reason. Roll it back, turn it up. Lotsa people have been fooled. ;)

5. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I consider the tele, the LP, the strat, and the SG the four horsemen of the Guitarpolypse.

I don't an LP, I aspire too. Though whenever I try them out, i find them to feel odd. The juniors and specials feel better to me.

ClashCityTele, DHart and StrangerNY like this.
  6. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know how many people here actually watched the video, but I assume that the "debate" is about the Zeppelin riffs in the video, and not the two guitars in general.

I preferred some of those riffs on the Les Paul, and some on the Tele. Hot Dog was way better on the Tele, and so was Ten Years Gone. I thought Black Dog sounded better on the Les Paul. It was a little beefier.

black_doug likes this.
  7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have both, and use whichever one works best for a given situation.

If I've gotta play a lot of different stuff in a night, the Tele gets the nod. I can get close enough to a LP sound if I have to and still be able to play a lot of different styles and get away with it. I'm playing with a party band this summer, so the Tele is getting a lot of use.

If I'm playing a hard rock gig, it's LPs (or HB-equipped guitars) all the way. And for the stuff in between, I've got an LP Special DC with P-90s.

- D

8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

les pauls are nice guitars, but remember they are Gibson's imitation of a telecaster.

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ok. I was gettin a little worried reading the sea of “they sound completely different” responses.

Because they don’t. They sound slightly different. I bet it he adjusted amp volume and EQ a bit, rather than use the same settings for both, they’d sound even more similar. Add drums, bass, another guitar, vocals ...

They look different and play differently, though.

10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Tele vs. (???) Les Paul. Why are they battling? They inherently look different, feel different, sound different. But guitars and amps have knobs for a reason, and different techniques are there for a reason. Both can cover a wide range of tones, styles, and arrangement roles. Why would there ever be a question? If you want something to look like a Tele, feel like a Tele, and inherently sound like a Tele, then play a Tele. If you want something to look like a Les Paul, feel like a Les Paul, and inherently sound like a Les Paul, then play a Les Paul. If you are a guitarist who needs to cover a lot of ground tonally, and who plays guitar in different roles (primarily lead for some gigs or some tracks, primarily rhythm for some gigs or some tracks), then go ahead and have both at your disposal – less knob tweaking required. If you need it to be just one guitar, then pick whichever one you like and use the tools at your disposal (amps, knobs, technique) to make it sound how you need it to sound. These guitars haven't survived as long as they have, basically unmolested in terms of design, by not being versatile.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  11. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, don't leave us hangin'

NewKid, RevBillyG, studio1087 and 3 others like this.
  12. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

People may not have known, but I think plenty of people wondered how in the world he was making a Lester sound like that. I know I was always confused on it and wasn't at all surprised when I found out he was using a Tele. Made a lot more sense to me anyway.

13. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic

I’m lucky enough to own a bunch of axes today. My two guitars that make the most pleasing sounds to my ears are my Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster and my Gibson Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute.

14. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My two favorite guitar models. Only debate for me is which one I like on what day.

15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz TDPRI Member

<<<<<<--------------------

IMG_20190602_112055.JPG - ;):p:D:twisted:

Or the fatty

studio1087 likes this.
  16. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I know lot of men who've given their left nut.

I traded my 1996 Studio LP even for a 2007 American Tele. Both of us were happy with the trade, but I'm not sure I'd now be playing my Tele that much had I not recently installed Fralin pickups. I recently picked up a 2007 LP Standard which I really like, also. They get played about equally, maybe the Tele slightly more, and both are played more than any of the others... right now.

17. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

Les Paul's are generally louder.
    Or that could be the six Marshall's they have to be plugged into.
    I've played guitar for 42 years & I've never even played a LP.
    I love SG's though.
    After going through 6 pedals all my guitars sound the same

Ricky D. likes this.
  18. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Because humbuckers are generally louder.

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I find that most amps have volume knobs. Guitars too.

RevBillyG likes this.
  20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yah! Can’t we all just get along! :cry: I guess that I go both ways. Quote me.

[​IMG]

fattboyzz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.