Telecaster Vs Les Paul

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
when i become a real man, i will get a ten pound guitar. maybe some other time.

Which guitar are you talking about?

When I still had a Tele it was 7.5lbs.

My LP Classic is 7.25 lbs. For that matter my LP Classic Lite is a bit under 7.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Nope! Those two are not gonna fight tonight! Not at my place they're not!

You need both really!
They're like a Phillips head and a flat head screwdriver. Ive got both of those in my toolbox, same as I've got both Tele and Les Paul working toward a common goal under the same roof here.

20211029_131019.jpg

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
when i become a real man, i will get a ten pound guitar. maybe some other time.

Some older guy handed me an expensive LP in a store in Jacksonville, FL. At arms length, so I wasn't expecting anything. The "Custom Shop" LP pulled me, and my buckling, no longer outstretched arm, and my whole body really, down to the (luckily plush) carpet. It must have weighed twenty pounds. I don't get this.

Some of the "Brass Era" guys were slow to change their opinions.

However I don't think a nine pound plus electric is an automatic no go. It just has to sound amazing, is all.

Suca

TDPRI Member
You often hear that a good Les Paul is like a Tele on Steroids. Lets have a battle and see if that's the case. :)

I have a different view. In fact I wrote these days on another thread, that I for many people (myself included) the Tele seems to be a perfect complement to the Les Paul.

I seem to notice there are really a bunch of guitarrists that use and/or combine both, and not only Jimmy Page would concur. Is the Tele sound more appealing than for instance the Strat sound to someone who plays also a Les Paul?

Chuck Stoat

TDPRI Member
It's easy to take this comparison a little too far I guess. But I played Strats all my life and then got a Les Paul and a Tele and I notice that I seem to "think" in a similar way when I play the LP and the Tele, whereas the Strat is different.

Interesting as I would think the scale length difference would make the LP the outlier, but not the case.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ha ha ha! I've seen several Gibsons with that classic break below the nut. My first Tele fell from a stand once, and the tuner that was attached on the headstock smashed into a dozen pieces. The Tele was still in tune.

yeah you got a point there nothing like a beautiful L.P. Custom or a VINTUE s.g.

WITH THE HEAD SNAPPED OFF :cry::cry::cry::(

kristen

Tele-Meister
For blues bends the Les Paul is best. For Twang-0-licious chickin pickin the Telecaster.
Overall the Les Paul is the champion.