Telecaster Vs Les Paul

mkdaws32

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Les Paul like a Tele on steroids? No way. A Tele is more aggressive in a raw, present kind of way. A Les Paul might be fatter sounding and high output/drive an amp more, but also more compressed - not what I would describe as a Tele on steroids. An LP has its place - just not at my house ;)

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
A Les Paul is great for certain kinds of sounds - they're just sounds I'm less interested in these days and......

A 335 would be better than the Les Paul - always was, to be honest.

I believe that among knowledgeable Gibson connoisseurs the 1960 and there abouts 335s are known as Burst killers.

joe_cpwe

Tele-Afflicted
No versus, it's "and"

Right now I have a tele on my left and Les Paul on the right.

20211027_154429.jpg

BFcaster

Tele-Meister
More of a PAF vs Fender Tele single coils. Humbuckers like to distort (or at least crunch) inherently. Tele singles like to naturally twang. My opinion of course. I can get both my LP and my Teles to sound like each other, but it’s just easier to switch guitar to sound like what comes naturally.

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
Lately it’s been nothing but my goldtop Les Paul Standard. Borrowed a friend’s 335 and love it. But then I picked up my LP with the big, chunky 50s neck and felt at home. May order one of the Warmoth tele necks that are built like a 50s Gibson neck.

MDMachiavelli

Tele-Afflicted
A Les Paul is great for certain kinds of sounds - they're just sounds I'm less interested in these days and......

A 335 would be better than the Les Paul - always was, to be honest.

I agree with your first point and think it applies to your second one as well. The difference between a 335 and a Les Paul is the sound you are looking for, I'm not sure one is better than the other.