Telecaster Vs. Esquire

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rcsmrs00, Jun 15, 2012.

1. rcsmrs00

rcsmrs00 TDPRI Member

Cant imagine how many times this has been discussed on here but I figured why not?

I know both guitars are great and whats "better" is a matter of personal preference

so tell me

Tele's or Esquires? What do you prefer and why?

2. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

I enjoy both.

The end.

3. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I think the arguments you'll get are the following:

1) Tele = esquire+ neck pickup. A tele can do anything an esquire can and more.
    2) Esquires have more mojo, and a rawer sound, and make you play in a different way that will make you use pick attack, dynamics and the controls in a more subtle way.

Personally, all I have is a tele, but I want an esquire!

4. Scantron08

Scantron08 Tele-Afflicted

Someone will also mention the 3-way selector on an Esquire which allows for sounds not found on a conventional Tele (like bypassing the tone knob).

I'd prefer a Tele - and I badly miss mine which was stolen more than two years ago now.

Of course, I do think Esquires are super cool and wouldn't mind one of those, either!

5. camdenlp

camdenlp TDPRI Member

Being that I've got 2 teles, 2 more being built, and a custom order for a new neck in the works, the new neck will be going into a custom Esquire build...

6. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

I converted 2 different MIM 50's Classics into Esquires.

One was 6.5lbs it got a 1953 Champion lap steel pickup.

The other one was 7lbs 10oz it got a dual coil pickup 7k ohms on one side 13k on the other.

I noticed the same thing on both increased harmonics.

I could do harmonic chimes just about anywhere on the big E. In places I could never do when they were Telecasters.

7. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

I love both. A great Tele neck pickup is hard to find, and I have one in my #1. Otherwise I have no use for one.

8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Esquire for me...obviously. But I like Teles.

As for why...

- I like one pickup guitars and always have. Most of what I play is well suited for a bridge pickup, and I like that there is no difference in "attack" when I flip the switch. Just a difference in tone. Also, I don't like master tone controls on multi-pickup guitars.

- I like the switch options. Presets kick butt. (I change the third position to a variation of the Eldred mod.) I don't like fiddling with knobs when I am playing.

- I think they resonate a tad bit better without the neck pickup. They are louder and have more sustain (in general and IME).

The Les Paul Junior is my second favorite kind of guitar. Reasons one and three from above apply to them. I just like one pickup guitars, I guess. I'd like a Cabronita, but I want to make it with maybe a mini humbucker or Firebird pickup. I'd also love to built a Strat with the Esquire setup one day.

9. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Meister

I prefer the Telecaster because other than looks the Esquire just doesn't really offer anything a Tele can't deliver.

10. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

That pretty much covers it. Self proclaimed Esquire Freak here. Took me three to "get it." My Esquire is my main guitar, but I do have a '72 Tele Custom RI with a humbucker in the neck. Never could get along with a standard Tele neck pup.

11. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

A Tele sounds different than an Esquire, even when the Tele is on the back switch position. And even if you ignore the fact that the guitars sound, sustain, and resonate differently due to that neck pickup being there, Teles can still only cop the middle position of the Esquire. Add a no load tone pot and you can cop the back position as well, though not as conveniently.

12. spook69

spook69 Tele-Holic

I am satisfied, got both!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.