Telecaster Vintage sound

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Whiteymin, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Whiteymin

Whiteymin TDPRI Member

do fender noiseless telecaster pickups seem to all sound vintage in nature? Is there any cons to noiseless telecaster pickups?

2. Hugokildare

Hugokildare TDPRI Member

The only guitar I have ever played/owned with Noiseless pickups was an elite Strat. It lacked any sense of character and seemed very clinical, certainly not vintage. I personally do not relate noiseless pickups with vintage tone. But I have not had a whole lot of experience so don’t necessarily take my advice as rock solid.

3. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

Cant be vintage sound, the first pickups was a basic and cheap pickup.

4. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I have a 68 tele bought new that year, pickups went dead along the way so I put in a Dimarzio Area T set. I always use Dimarzio on Fender guitars, SD with Gibsons.

Some of the guys say Area T p/u has a hi-fi sound which I noticed at first but found they have way better tone than the vintage original Fender pickups it came with. The original 1968 neck p/u had no balls and the bridge p/u was an icepick.

Noiseless are amazing for home recording and bottom line is that on a live session in clubs or whatever --- after I put the sound through a couple of footpedals nobody knows the difference and probably wouldn't anyways.

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My 2016 Deluxe Nashville had the "vintage noiseless" pickups. I thought the bridge and middle pickups sounded pretty good. The neck pickup I never bonded with. JMHO

I've heard some good clips of the VN's, including the neck pickup. Could be the recording or the player. The neck pickup just wasn't my cup of tea. Again, JMHO.

Ended up replacing them with a set of true single coils and a new harness as the VN's came with 1meg pots.

Probably no cons. It depends on where your idea of vintage lies. Vintage runs from late 40's to the mid 70's. At least according to TDPRI.

A lot of different dynamics to that wide spread of time.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I had noiseless pickups in a stratocaster and guess what? They sounded like... a stratocaster! I don't buy any of the "sterile" or whatever other nonsense people associate with certain pickups. People are just repeating what they read in forums.

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have N4 Noiseless pickups in my Telecaster and VN pickups in one of my Strats. Vintage sounds are there with the N4 pickups with the tone all the way up and the volume rolled down some. I use a BOSS EQ-200 with it. The sound thins out to a very vintage tone with low frequencies rolled off. Without the equalizer, the tone is unmistakably Telecaster but more modern than vintage. The best vintage tone is with nickel wound strings and the equalizer.

8. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

The ones I have are closer to Texas Specials but are labeled as "vintage". :rolleyes:
    I like them fine though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.