Telecaster three way switch alteration?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by 52BIGSBY, Mar 29, 2020.

1. 52BIGSBY

52BIGSBY Tele-Meister

Hello.
    My current Telecaster has a three way switch that I have modified very simply by removing it, using two pairs of nose end pliers, and the bending the end downwards. This results in the selector being positioned more "out of the way" of my rather active strumming hand.
    Although mainly working I was thinking that a lower flat small knob that moved laterally would be a better solution.
    Does anyone know if there is a solution to this other than changing my playing style?
    I have thought of buying a Gibson Junior, but much prefer the Telecaster single coil tone and clarity, and think that a Gibson equipped P90 guitar might be a bit dark for me. I also think that reversing the control panel would result in me accidentally turning down the tone when "away with it", (the same problem reversed).
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    Richard.

2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Strat switch tip solves 90% of the problem.
    [​IMG]

TimT likes this.
  3. 52BIGSBY

52BIGSBY Tele-Meister

Thanks for the reply, however it is still in the line of fire of the strumming hand, albeit slightly lower.
    I have had a further idea. I never use the tone control, so why not remove it, reverse the panel part, change the wiring so that the volume pot works clockwise, thus having clear space for when things get lively at the strumming end.....
    The eventual result of this is that if effectual, it would be good to have it on a quality or even historic instrument.
    I guess any modification is reversible if the original parts are retained.
    I am sure the purists are cringing!
    Richard.

4. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.