Telecaster thinline pickups

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by BadTechnique82, Mar 10, 2021.

1. BadTechnique82

BadTechnique82 TDPRI Member

When changing the pic guard on my fender thinline telecaster, the makeshift workbench that I was working on collapsed and the volume control et cetera fell out. As a result I couldn’t tell which way around the two humbucker pickups would be, so I had to guess.

my question is would the two pickups be different or is the variation in tone just a result of their respective positions on the guitar.

I got the thing restrung and it sounds terrible now. The neck pickup now sound brighter / sharper than the bridge pickup

wondering if it’s a result of my shoddy guesswork or some other factor like pickup height, stress on the wiring caused by the accident.

Any guidance greatly appreciated

2. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

Measure the pickup resistances with a multimeter. A higher ohm rating will usually mean a higher output, and that's what you put in the bridge.

Are you sure the pickups are still the same distance away from the strings as before? The closer they are to the strings, the more output and treble. Pickup height can make a huge difference, and more or less make or break the tone.

3. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

They sometimes have a B or N marking. How many Pots? You can trace wire to Pot to figure out which it runs. I had one reversed and never changed it. Sometimes the Poles are spaced a mm or two wider than each other. Neck being the smaller distance between E and E

4. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

There's a good chance the bridge pu's wires are shorter than the neck?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.