1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecaster suggestions for hard rock/radiohead??

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by walter bernards, May 2, 2019.

1. walter bernards

walter bernards TDPRI Member

Hey guys - first post here!

I'm in the market for my first telecaster. I love the looks and aestehtics of classic teles...50s/60s - 21 frets, ashtray / brass saddles, vintage tuners..

But I want a tele that can scream similar to jonny greenwoods Version 1 '89 tele plus..

What models are out right now that can scream, sing, and be sweet n warm?

I'm heavily inspired by radiohead, smiths, blur, and obviously all the classics!

my band Palm Springsteen is 80s post/punk new wave and my 60s strat does the trick with all my pedals but having a tele in the mix is much wanted.

cheers

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It your amp and effects can...scream so will your Tele.
    So get the one you like more.
    The music you play is all about effects anyway so any decent Tele in conjunction with a nice tube amp will cut the mustard.

3. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Try your choice of multiple hundred OD pedals.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Pretty sure Graham Coxon played an AVRI 52 Tele for a while.

Edit: Then in the late 90s he mostly played a late 60s Tele with a Gibson humbucker in the neck position.

wannabeatle and walter bernards like this.
  5. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You don't give a budget, so me being on the penurious side, am going to go with a Classic Vibe.
    In the Classic Vibe range, there's the 70's Custom, which features a neck humbucker and bridge single coil. Good enough for Mick Green, good enough for anyone. Based on the iconic '72 model.
    There's the 60's Custom. Double bound, two single coils. Both the Custom models fit the bill.
    Still in Classic Vibe land, which is a nice land to be in, the 50's model is all Tele, no bull, frills or frippery.

All feature proper tuners. Apparently other tuners than split-shaft exist. They all feature the classic bridge style, and saddles don't cost a fortune if you don't like those fitted.

All Teles can scream, should you so desire. They can all roll off to be sweetness and light too. Set your amp for the top end, and control it from your guitar.

If I gaze into my crystal ball, I see spending a few hours trying guitars out in shops in the future for you.

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Just get a 4-way switch in any tele with decent pickups and you're good to go

jvin248, walter bernards and G.Rotten like this.
  7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Radiohead... how many delay pedals do you have?

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't like Strats that much, but I do want a Ed O'Brien Stratocaster for it's sustainer. I know you said Tele, but still, the sustaining feature seems like a no-brainer for Radiohead material. Those HBs will make it, uh scream too, I suppose.

The EOB Strat has a nice soft V-to-baseball bat neck. I actually made a 50s style Strat partscaster with it, it was nice, but it was a Strat so there it went...

walter bernards likes this.
  9. walter bernards

for the most part - I completely agree. I've got a great pedalboard - OCD, Sun face fuzz, chorus, space echo... etc... But comparing my cs69 pup strat to my roommates mexican standard - you can still here the base foundation... the pickups. Honestly his mex standard bites and growls cause of the cheap ceramic pups... the cs69 just too cold but bright for me.. if that makes sense! anyway - trying to find a tele that's both warm, natural, and tele-like, but has some good bite and gain without pedals... then adding pedals will allow it to sing/scream

10. walter bernards

dude, yes this guitar seems incredible. I went to guitar center recently and they had one... but some idiot dropped it from 3 levels down so only the neck picukup worked and the neck was twisted/ a huge shark bite. poor EOB strat... RIP. I really want to try a working one though

11. walter bernards

hahaha.. I've got my space echo pedal, a holy grail, an OCD, Sun face fuzz, etc... I could use a DL4, a phaser, some other ****. it's never ending!

12. walter bernards

thank you for your help! I have been in sam ash and guitar center a lot recently... just wish I could find a used one I love. There's something about used guitars that resonate with me

13. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

The price??

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  14. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

15. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Mim Standard with PU in Series

16. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

The Texas Specials in my American Special will drive hard & still clean up well. Maple neck seems to help things stay nice and clear. I didn't expect to like these pickups as much as I do but they're my current faves, over a nice set of Lollars and a Twisted / Broad combo. I suspect that a 4-way switch would get you all the way there.

17. walter bernards

between 500-1500... i wouldn't mind getting a cheaper guitar that has the right aesthetics and upgrading it's components

18. walter bernards

cheers thank you. i've been considering texas specials for my strat!

19. walter bernards

yeah I've heard only good things about the fat 50s. my friends standard mim 2014 strat with stock ceramics are supposed to be like fat 50's - but a little less clear with a hair more bite.

and i tried the AM performer last week! very beautiful guitar. i played the vintage white which looks like a faded yellow. wish it has narrow tall frets but jumbo wasn't so noticeable. definitely needs 10 or 11's - they were strung with 9s.

the build your own is cool. they oughtta add some options though. rosewood, nitro, etc.

20. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

can anybody explain what the 3rd knob is for?

Pretty good lesson, too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.