telecaster standard MIA 1981

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by edodo, Apr 9, 2015.

1. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Forgot to mention in my other post:

People often mistake the year on CBS/Fenders from the late 70s/early 80s because they weren't really that together with the serial numbers back then. For whatever reason all Tele models used "S8xxxxx" serial numbers from 1978 through 1982 (except of course the '52 Reissues). While 1982 Strats did "change over" to E2xxxxx serial numbers for 1982 I don't believe I've ever seen a 1982 Tele with a changed over serial number (and by 1982 the Tele Custom and Tele Deluxe had been discontinued; only the "regular" Tele and the '52 RI were made that year).

Fender used S9xxxxx serial number decals on Strats from 1979 through 1981, and I think they used S8xxxxx decals on the P-Bass and Jazz Bass through the end of 1982 as well.

2. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info John C, sounds like you got some good knowledge.
    So the late '70s-early '80s Deluxe and Custom had the bullet truss nut and the Standards had a heel truss nut? What threw me was OP's walnut plug, like an early '70s.
    I should just keep my Blue Tele Book near this computer so I don't have to keep running downstairs to look something up :lol:

edodo, I am falling crazy in love with your guitar.
    I really like how there is no wire route cavity on the front. If she was mine, I would put a clear pick guard on it with black screws...oh yeah baby.

3. John C

That's correct - the "regular" Tele kept the 4-bolt neck/heel truss rod while the 3 models introduced in 1972 had the 3-bolt neck/bullet truss rod adjuster. Those being the Tele Custom, the Tele Deluxe, and the revamped Tele Thinline with the 2 wide-range humbuckers.

4. edodo

edodo TDPRI Member

Yes in a way, kind of blue, cause I'm that old too since we share the same birthyear! But it's not that sad because I'm still relatively Young compared to the first blackguard!

5. edodo

edodo TDPRI Member

That is a nice compliments for my guitar you said there, thanks for here hehe! Yes she is very sexy naked!

6. edodo

edodo TDPRI Member

I thank you very much for those precious information John, you're the meister.

7. John C

You're welcome. I've just read a lot of books and due to my job I'm good at putting things together into a story - I write a lot of "white papers" among other things.

Well at least you're lucky enough to be able to buy a reasonably priced birth year guitar - the price of '62 Fenders and Gibsons is way out of my price range these days unless I hit the lottery.:lol:

8. edodo

edodo TDPRI Member

That is very interesting thanks a bunch for your post. About the nitro, i think my neck was refinished long time ago so it has darkened like the face of the headstock. It would be impossible for it to be a factory option.

About the 6 saddle bridge, from what I see, the norm is the basic 3 saddles ashtray for the basic tele in the late 70s. I so rarely saw that one basic tele claimed to be 1978 and to have this saddle that was default on custom tele. That is what made me want this guitar so bad:oops:

Same thing for the Tobacco burst/2TSB, I saw some tele claimed 78, but the norm is 3TSB. I extrapole this fact that maybe the Tobacco burst was from the mistakenly claimed 78 but post 81 tele from that particular timeframe where the S8xx decals were used through 1982... Wild guess but really, I saw many 3TSB 78 tele by a wide margin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. edodo

edodo TDPRI Member

So both our guitar were from that timeframe and had this weird poly finish that reacted kind of the same way I guess... Also our guitars should have been stored in kind of same environmental conditions that made react the finish the way it did!

Anyway, now it's clean, soft when you hold it, and a pleasure to play!
    I'll make some soundclip soon, because she sounds incredible too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.