Telecaster S-1 Switch Wiring with Strat Neck PUP

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ltro, Oct 17, 2019.

1. ltro

ltro TDPRI Member

I picked up a thinline tele and want to swap out the tele PUP for a strat PUP in the neck position. Here's the issue: The tele neck pup has three wires coming out of it (black, white and yellow...from my research the white=hot, black=ground and yellow=ground for the neck pup metal cover), but the strat pickup only has two wires coming out of it (black=ground and white=hot). When I'm installing the strat pickup, what do I do for where the tele yellow wire was soldered?

Also, unsure if it makes a difference but this tele has a three-way switch with an S-1 switch in the volume pot, so the wiring is a bit messier. Any ideas here?

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The Strat pickup doesn't have a metal cover. No need to ground the plastic one.

I'm doing the same with a partscaster. Only a push/pull and the Deaf Eddie mod.

Let's assume the S1 was for the series option. Just wire the Strat pickup with white hot and black ground.

Like the Tele pickup you removed. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Come back with any questions.

3. ltro

ltro TDPRI Member

So for the yellow wire, I should just remove it and and don't solder anything to that point? My gut was saying to connect that point (where the yellow wire was soldered) to the black ground from the strat pup. Appreciate your input!

4. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

The Strat pup only needs the two coil wires.

>My gut was saying to connect that point (where the yellow wire was soldered) to the black ground from the strat pup. Appreciate your input!<

For what purpose ???????

That would be redundant.

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The yellow wire and the black wire were grounds from the Tele neck pickup. One from the pickup coil wire(black) and the cover(yellow).

The new Strat pickup will only need to have the white wire to the switch and the black wire to ground or switch.

Probably the point where the Tele neck pickup(black wire) was grounded or where the original Tele pickup(black wire) was connected.

At what point was the yellow wire connected? Back of a pot? Where was the black wire from the Tele pickup connected? S1 switch or pot.

The S1 could be an OOP option or series option. Which do you have?

Just because the pickup might have three wires. It doesn't mean it was wired for series.

With the Deaf Eddie mod with a 3 way switch. The coil negative neck lead goes to the DPDT/S1 type switch. Although the S1 can be used as a 4PDT. Probably not in your case.

Do you have a 3 way or 4 way switch?

Hopefully not too confusing.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  6. ltro

ltro TDPRI Member

So the S-1 switch sets the neck and bridge pups in series (vs. parallel when not activated). I'd like to keep this functionality when I install the Strat neck pup.

The guitar has a 3-way switch—so there are 4 pup options on this guitar: 1) neck pup only with blade switch in top position, 2) both pups in parallel with blade switch in middle position and S-1 switch not activated, 3) both pups in series with blade switch in middle position and S-1 activated, and 4) bridge pup only with blade switch in bottom position.

Here is what I believe the wiring looks like as is (with the tele neck pup still installed):

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 9.28.30 AM.png
    Here is what @sjtalon is saying the wiring should like when I install the strat pup in the neck. My question though, is what do we do at point "A", where the tele neck pup yellow wire was soldered? @sjtalon is saying do nothing there, just remove the yellow wire from the tele pup and then install the strat pup.
    Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 9.33.19 AM.png

Thanks for your replies guys!

7. sjtalon

Top diagram.

The yellow wire of your old pup grounded the cover, to act as a noise shield, so needs to connect to a ground point naturally. Ground is ground, FTMP however you get there in the end don't matter.

The S1 switch, has a position, whereas something needs to be grounded via it's contacts.

If you look at where that yellow goes, it's with a black, that goes to a volume pot terminal, which has a wire to the back of a pot (GROUND POINT).

So the neck cover, the S1 switch solder point, outer volume pot terminal, ALL NEED TO BE TO GROUND.

So all that is happening there is they are tying ALL THOSE THINGS that need to go to ground, together.

Another way to simplify it is, instead of confusing things, that yellow wire from your Tele neck cover could have just went RIGHT directly to the back of a pot...GROUND !!!

Guess they are trying to save money by using shorter wires.:lol:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    SPUDCASTER likes this.
  8. ltro

ltro TDPRI Member

@sjtalon That makes total sense. THANK YOU! I'll give it a try now and let you all know how it goes. Fingers crossed!

9. sjtalon

May the force be with you

10. ltro

ltro TDPRI Member

Boom, worked perfectly. Thank you again @sjtalon. Here's the final product:

Fender Britt Daniel Tele with Strat Neck PUP 1.jpg Fender Britt Daniel Tele with Strat Neck PUP 2.jpg

11. sjtalon

Ubetcha !

Glad it all worked out, fabulous looking geetar there !!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.