Telecaster Re-String

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by crosstrainer, Feb 19, 2010.

1. crosstrainer

crosstrainer TDPRI Member

Hi All

Yesterday, I re-strung my Telecaster Deluxe with Elixir 10-46 light gauge strings. The guitar is fairly new, and Fender say that it comes fitted with "Regular" gauge strings. Really? When I fitted the new strings, the Trem action was right up at the top of it's travel. I had to remove the back plate and tighten the travel to the (recommended) 1 eighth of an inch.

Thing is, I think they must fit heavy gauge strings as standard, because I would not have expected such a huge difference in the setup.

Still messing with the action, but play's a lot better than it did before....Anyone know what Fender ACTUALLY fit in the factory? I threw the old ones out without checking :)) Guitar was purchased in the UK if that helps. The Fender web site is useless, and I'm sure I will get far more info from you all here!!

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Strings: Fender Super 250L, Nickel Plated Steel,
    Gauges: (.009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042),

Thats your problem your gonna have to readjust everything or go back to the stock size.

Check the neck relief also it might need a truss rod adjustment cause the bigger strings you put on have more tension and will sometimes make the neck bow too much.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  3. crosstrainer

The necks fine, but like you say, had to adjust everything else....Strange how such a small change in gauge made such a difference.....Gotta feeling the supplied strings were different, but I'll never know now!

4. crosstrainer

I've just put a digital tuner on the tele, and it's less than a semi-tone out at the octave. Is it worth a truss rod adjustment? I'm no DIY guy, and always take my guitars to a trusted local dealer. I've got the key for the neck, but am reluctant to tackle this on my own. It's such a small variation, but I like things to be right :))

5. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, that's about intonation and you don't adjust that with the truss rod. You adjust that by moving the bridge saddles.

If it's sharp at the octave you move the saddles further down, away from the neck. If it's flat at the octave you move them closer to the neck.

The truss rod adjusts relief, the bow in the neck. If you fret the string at the first and the lats frets, there should be a gap between the string and the top of the 8th fret. The gap should be approximately .010" or .25 mm.

For further info on that, there are instructions on Fender website.

6. crosstrainer

Yeah, thanks for that....Decided to have it set up by my trusted dealer guy, just means no Tele til Tuesday :(( At least once it's done, I shouldn't have any more hassle if I stick to the same strings!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.