Telecaster Pickup for heavier sound (more like P90)

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Asgard, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Asgard

Asgard TDPRI Member

Do anyone have any suggestion regarding what pickup to try next to acheive a heavier tone with my Tele? I really want to like the Tele and I want to use it for punk rock, more like a Gibson Junior with P90. But the stock pickup is way too thin and the Quarter Pound is a big improvement but still a bit too thin.

I'm used to playing with humbuckers and P90 and I want to get closer to the P90, with more bottom end. However I do not wish to install a P90 sized pickup nor a humbucker.

Should I go for Lil 59, Hot Rails (people say it got no character though) or any of the heavier Dimarzios? What about Texas Special, Dirty Harry or Harmonic Design 90?

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

3. Asgard

Asgard TDPRI Member

That was a very interesting link. Never seen one of those. Wonder if they are any good though? People always seem to suggest Harmonic Design or Dirty Harry. I'm kind of sick of the humbuckers and want something with more definition but still maintaining that fatness. I think the P90 tone/character is what I am looking for in a Tele coil body.

The Bill Lawrence are interesting. Are they just called Micro-Coils or is it any particular model I should look for?

4. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

The bridge pickup that used to come in the American Special tele is a really hot, almost p90 sounding pickup. Mine had a dc resistance at around 15k. Fender claimed it was a Custom Shop Texas Special, but it wasn't. The current production models have real CS Texas Specials, but for the first few years the guitar was available it had these mislabeled beast-mode pickups in the bridge position. You might be able to find a used one for a reasonable price from one of the many folks who replaced the bridge pickup with something more vintage voiced, like I did.

5. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I've got an overwound tele pickup, which sounds very P-90 like. A2 rods, 12K DCR with 42awg plain enamel coated wire. Lots of mids, thick sound, with lots of articulation.

6. Broadmoor74

Broadmoor74 Tele-Meister

For years I had a Hot Rails pickup in the bridge. I have read reviews where most people have said their HR performed like a humbucker. But that wasn't the case with me. In my guitar, it performed more like a P90. Much more punch and crunch without completely losing all the tele characteristics. I tend to play heavy blues/rock/hard rock. I changed it out this year (just for a change) but I had it in there for about 15 years, and I loved it.

7. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

8. thatkeithmorris

thatkeithmorris TDPRI Member

I had the Tonerider TRT2B hot classic bridge pickup in my USA standard tele (maple board and maple veneer front and back so it's a bright guitar). Lots of grunt and body, nice low end. I've recently put in a CS broadcaster which has a lighter edgier sound but I might go back to the Tonerider. Who'dathunkit

9. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Rio grande dirty harry. P90 in a tele sized pickup

10. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Fralin SP43. I used a Strat version, and it went where you want to go.

11. Broadmoor74

Broadmoor74 Tele-Meister

I wasn't familiar with those pickups. Really affordable. Do you have experience with the T-90's?

12. Asgard

Asgard TDPRI Member

A lot of great suggestions. Thank you guys!

13. Darrylc534

Darrylc534 NEW MEMBER!

I see a reference to some Bill Lawrence pickups in this thread. Has anyone experienced a delay in shipping. I have been waiting for a neck pickup and a couple of Q-filters for several months now, and I did not get a reply from my most recent email inquiry. Does anyone know if Becky Lawrence is ill? The website is active.

14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I also have used and recommend the Tonerider TRT2B hot classic whichis thicker and bigger while still a tele sound and a recommendation for the the Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue (3x the rpice of the TRT2B mind you - but I luckily picked that up used and it's the best tele bridge I've heard).

15. Asgard

Asgard TDPRI Member

Funny you should mention this. A couple of months ago I ordered the L500XL. Got no confirmation mail of any sorts other than from Paypal that withdrew money from me. After a week I contacted Becky and she did not respond. I tried several times until she replied on a forum. She was all "it's cool your order is fine". I wait a month and nothing. Try to contact here again. Same circus all over again trying to get in touch. Finally she responds that my order didn't go through and by then I was really pissed off. I decided to cancel the order. Would take ages for it to arrive and I like not to think about the troubles if the pickup would arrive faulty. I can't deal with a company like that no matter how great the pickups.

16. JohnnyBloo13

JohnnyBloo13 TDPRI Member

Zhangbucker "Super Paul Bunyan" Bridge Pickup 1/4" rods, I have it paired with a Lollar P90, it runs right with the Lollar. Great Set.

17. JP Lace Master

JP Lace Master Tele-Meister

can I make a mad suggestion, how about u screw the bridge down to the body and get the strings as close to the pickup as possible, this may sound odd, but I have tried it and it makes the tele bridge pup sound real fat. might work for what you want in a P90 tone.

18. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

The pickups in the early American Special Telecaster's (inception through late October/2013) were originally designed specifically for the Fender Highway One Texas Telecaster. After production of the Highway One Texas Telecaster was discontinued, the remaining pickup stock was used in the new American Special Telecaster.

I gleaned this note by B.T., the Fender designer of the H1 Texas Tele pickups, on the FDP forum:

B.T.

Fender asked me to design new bridge and neck pickups for this guitar model.

Although the pickups are constructed using the plastic style bobbins, a steel baseplate was adapted for the bridge pickup. Unlike the vintage Tele bridge pickup, the magnets are slightly longer and extend through the baseplate.

This created a hybrid pickup using the additional magnetism for a sharper attack, but the steel baseplate added inductance which softened the resonant peak. The plate was also designed to relieve the microphonic problems associated with vintage Tele bridge pickups by adding extra relief holes between the magnets. This eliminates any trapped air between the plate and the bobbin that causes microphonics.

While I know that the tech aspect really doesn`t matter, it allows you more latitude with regard to playing at higher volumes without that Tele squeal. Rock and roll lies somewhere between the musical talents of Mike Bloomfield and the theories of Helmholtz, both have provided a rich legacy of advancing the state of the art.

When I contacted Fender Consumer Relations regarding the specifications of these pickups, I was emailed the following information:

PICKUP ASSY HWY1 TX TELE LEAD (Fender part # 0063082000)
    North Pole up, Copper plate on bottom, counter clockwise wind, 15,000 turns, #43 Polysol wire
    Average DCR: 16-18K
    Alnico V

PICKUP ASSY HWY1 TX TELE NK (Fender part # 0063081000)
    North Pole up, counter clockwise wind, 10,000 turns, #43 Enamel wire
    Average DCR: 7.8-8K
    Alnico V

19. soulman969

Becky isn't ill. I just spoke with her last week. Give her a call.

They've been moving the location of their shop recently but nothing should be delayed "several months". When did you order?

20. soulman969

Becky does not send out order confirmations. That's what your PayPal confirmation is for. She does send out shipment confirmations though.

If an order is delayed it's best to call her rather than email her. I've never yet NOT been able to reach her by phone and I did so again late Friday.

It's you choice who you choose to deal with but in this case you aren't dealing with a Guitar Center size organization and the products are an exceptional value. It does however require some patience at times.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.