1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecaster or Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Joechrist22, Oct 8, 2020.

1. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

Both.

2. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

How about this: wire up the Strat for coil splitting on the bridge and put in some tricky switching so that you can have neck and bridge? Can't attest to a split in bridge and neck, but on a regular Strat, neck and bridge sound gets in the ballpark of a Tele in the same position--it's one of my favorite Strat sounds, more than the traditional "quack" tones.

3. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well... between the two, I'd say Tele...

But have you thought about Gretsch? It'll take you into the humbucker world but retain some nice jangle and twang. Take a look at a G5220 if you want a Les Paul-like look... or a G5420T to get something well away from your Strat. The Gretsch-Talk forum is great if you want to investigate some of these.

4. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

They’re both guitars man. You compare them
    Based on what you like to play and what you use them for.

I’m a Les Paul guy, I have 4 of those, but I want to get a real Tele. Right now I just have a Firefly Thinline that I dick around with.

But we aren’t talking about apples and oranges, we’re talking two guitars. One more known for its clean tones the other for distortion and crunch but both can be used for either.

Les Paul Played a LP but so do many death metal bands. They’re really versatile instruments. So is a Tele. Especially now when through effects, computers and pedals you can make a guitar sound like a piano if you so desire.

If I were the OP and didn’t have one I would get a LP...but I love LP.

it’s too personal of a choice IMO, it’s not just sounds that make you choose a guitar it’s image, looks, comfort, etc etc etc,

I prefer LP personally.

Sockrawtease likes this.
  5. Allenjason95

or just buy used. Who wants to pay new Gibson LP prices anyway? I’ll leave that to the lawyers and dentists.

6. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

SG

mbc220 likes this.
  7. Allenjason95

yeah, I got an EQ to get more treble out of my LP Custom. It was way too dark before that.

The EQ and my mini Tubescreamer are the two best/most useful pedals I ever bought.

8. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

You should ask the same question in the LP forum, compare the results, and then get both.

tfarny likes this.
  9. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Get the best of both.

IMG_20200702_173532.jpg

JIMMY JAZZMAN and littlebadboy like this.
  10. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

For a different tone go tele. For a different feel go lp.

Wallaby likes this.
  11. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Something worth looking into is a G&L ASAT special. The jumbo MFDs in those are kind of right in the middle of the Tele-LP spectrum and can cover a lot of ground. You won't get quite as cutting and twangy as a standard Tele, and not quite as thick as an LP, but it's a really good guitar for totally nailing a ton of tones and being certainly close enough for most anything else. And the Tribute series is solidly priced and some of them come with great hardware and pickups, especially for the money.

12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

telecaster for the bridge tone..

MatsEriksson and Wallaby like this.
  13. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I suggest a Cabronita

14. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

well there is a technical side of this discussion as well , not just which one is better or best.

You're playing a Strat with probably a 9.5 radius neck and fret heights in the .045-.047 range. Les Pauls are typically 12" radius and fret heights at .050 or higher. You may find as a player that you don't bond well with a flatter neck and taller frets. Some can, many cannot. Taller frets may mean heavier gauge strings as well so you don't have slight pitch issues when fretting, especially on the 5th and 6th strings. If you are already playing 10's or above then this is probably not a concern. 9's or 9.5" will probably be noticed on the taller frets.

Regarding a stock Tele, typically necks are 9.5 or 7.25 radius and fret heights ranging from .042 up to .047, or so. The Tele is the other direction from a LP.

It may not be a simple as which one is better than the other. There are other factors which may end up being personal. Just know what you are buying !

MatsEriksson likes this.
  15. Sockrawtease

Sockrawtease TDPRI Member

It depends on the models.

Am pro, AOs, and custom shop teles you’re getting narrow talls. Not sure what other versions of the teles get those frets in addition to the ones listed above. But they’d be medium jumbos or vintage sized.

the original 50s and 60s les Paul’s (new standard line) have mediums which are much lower than the tall narrows. And slightly lower than the medium jumbos on my am series strat. Not 100% but I think the historic reissues get the same mediums and the classics get medium jumbos.

the tall narrows on my tele took me the longest to get used to and I like the jumbos on my Charvels which have the 12-16 inch composite necks. Once you get used to the tall narrows though they’re nice.

the mediums on the les Paul are a bit weird at first but only took a few minutes to get used too. Overall it’s my fav guitar.

I agree though different radius necks can be tricky at first. Im a strong advocate of trying and giving time to different things. You never know what you like or don’t like if you don’t branch out and give it a solid effort.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  16. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I have a Tele with Vintage Noiseless Pickups. When I play both pickups in Series through my EQ Pedal I can get nearly the sound of a Les Paul

MatsEriksson likes this.
  17. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I used to consider a Les Paul occasionally.

Several good Telecaster vs. Les Paul comparison videos o YouTube.

I prefer Tele.

One less thing to think about. No pun intended.

18. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Ask the same question in a Les Paul Forum :D:D:D

19. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I far prefer Tele over Les Paul. I would say the same thing in the Les Paul forum.:D

20. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Holic

There are other options...
    [​IMG]

MatsEriksson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.