Telecaster Necks.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Alaska Mike, May 11, 2021.

1. Alaska Mike

Alaska Mike TDPRI Member

So I’ve had my ‘85 MIJ Telecaster since it was new, and have always been relatively comfortable with the neck shape. I also adapted quickly to my Gretsch G5230T and Traveler EG-1 Custom. All very different, but all fun for me to play.
    Then I got an ASAT Tribute online, and the neck was awkward and not fun at all.
    I was looking for a HH Tele, but that experience has given me pause.
    I was looking at MIM Blacktops with Rosewood fingerboards, but not sure exactly what the profile is like. I’d rather not have to return another guitar, because I’m always charged extra.
    Any resource that accurately describes the various Fender neck profiles, more than a basic 2D profile?

2. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I don’t know if this is any help or not - I found it somewhere on line and copied it long time ago.
    I struggle to know what a neck will feel like in my hand when it’s described as a soft vee or whatever. For me playing the thing is the only way.
    For what it’s worth I think those mid 80s MIJ necks were great - I’ve not played any later ones to have an updated opinion! AE8D531F-662C-423D-A660-5690806895BB.jpeg

3. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

The modern Telecasters made in Mexico are a modern C profile neck earlier ones before 2003 were described as shallow U. I don't know if that's an actual change or just a difference in terminology. Radius of course 9.5"

wblynch likes this.
  4. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

I had an '84 JV TL52-BSB Tele that had that shape neck. It didn't taper - it was the same depth from the nut to the 17th fret.

I've got a '97 CIJ JD Tele now with the single best V neck I've ever played.

5. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

For me the soft V has always been the most comfortable. I like big necks as well but the Gibson shape has never felt right.

6. Alaska Mike

Alaska Mike TDPRI Member

I read a couple reviews of the MIM Blacktops having “chunky” necks. To me that’s (going by the chart above) a Nocaster U, and I guess I lean more towards the ‘60s oval C.

7. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

The old blacktops were pretty chunky. I've played s strat and a Tele from that range. It is a great neck, though.

It isn't as thick as a Nocaster or '52.

8. hotairguitar

hotairguitar Tele-Meister

May i ask fellow members, based on that picture

Are there any differences in the thickness of the heel (and the depth of the pocket) between the Nocaster neck and the Early 60's oval C? or any other model in the picture?

Thank you

9. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

I have a 2011 Blacktop Tele with the rosewood fingerboard. I can’t tell much difference between that and the 2009 MIM Standard Strat (rosewood) or my 2017 MIM Standard Tele (maple). They all seem pretty close to me.

I can say that I like playing the older ones more than the 2017. Also, since I put in the 57 Classics in the Blacktop HH it sounds much better. The stock pickups were pretty bad.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.