Telecaster neck wood size

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Neliac, May 19, 2021.

1. Neliac

Neliac NEW MEMBER!

I'm making my first Telecaster and just curious as I've seen people say different things and measurements of the proper thickness of the neck blank you need too star out with ? My wood supplier has dressed lumber which is planed and sanded down ready to go and they have 3/4 " 1 " just wondering which would be the standard with a glue on fretboard ?

Thank you

2. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

3/4" is what you want for a blank, assuming that the fretboard is 1/4". I always make my neck blanks about .04" over what I need though so that I have some extra depth to the blank for any final planing I need to do to take out slight warps in the wood.

3. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Agreed but make sure you end up at 1" with neck blank and fretboard. The blank can move or twist when you cut it or when you shape the back contour.

eallen likes this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Ideally you want 3/4 thick wood that has been jointed and planed. Seldom does a woodworking venue do that. I would start with a minimum of 13/16" S2S and prefer 4/4 rough to end up at 3/4". That gives you material to joint and then plane after the wood acclimates to your surroundings. I bought 3/4 in maple from lowes and ended up with less than an ideal neck thickness at the heel.
    I make both fretboard and neck a bit thicker to allow for sanding at the last steps.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  5. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

If I buy it is 3/4" dimensional smooth. With the minimal sanding needed the few thousands taken off sanded is added back by the finish.

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I buy many of my neck blanks from LMII and they are 3 by 7/8, planed on both faces. That is slightly thicker than necessary but since I need to plane a little off the head end anyway it is simple to take that 1/8 off at the heel. I would rather remove wood than have to put it back on. The 3 inch width may need a wing added depending on the head shape.

FWIW those blanks also work nicely for built up necks of the Gibson or Martin style and seem to be pretty reasonably priced.

7. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

3/4 is great IF your fretboard is 1/4 AND you don't have to do any nor planing on the wood before gluing on the board. It's definitely doable, but risky.

8. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My first build was home depot 3/4 maple with glued on preslotted stew mac fretboard. Most of the time now I go with a thicker blank then plane it down etc. I like my necks on the thick side...oh and make it a bit wider too....getting to the end and having the strings fall off the edge of the neck is not fun...I keep that neck as a reminder to go wider....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.