1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecaster Neck Pocket Crack

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ImGrand, Apr 18, 2021.

1. ImGrand

ImGrand TDPRI Member

Hello,

I have a 2008 Fender MIM Telecaster and now I realised that there is a Hairline Crack in the Neck Pocket. When I touch it I can feel kind of a small gap and also by lightly pressing it that it’s kind of hollow or sounds like that.

Now I’m concerned if it’s a worse thing and especially if it could spread or something, I’m also afraid that the finish will crack more and maybe even come off.

Is there a fix or does it actually need to be fixed ?

Thanks in Advance
    Screenshot_20210418-130216_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210418-130437_Gallery.jpg

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like it's just a crack in the poly finish, which the gap and hollow sound would suggest, and that the wood isn't cracked.

In which case I wouldn't worry about it.

3. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

This thing happens all the time. Likely nothing to worry about.

Steve Holt likes this.
  4. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

Looks like a finish crack and not structural damage

5. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Wood is much more malleable than finish. That totally looks like a finish crack. It’s quite common because of the stresses put on the body at that particular location. The wood can contract and expand with changes in temperature and humidity, but the screws don’t. Hence, the forces acting on the wood at that point also change.

Whenever the weather gets more humid such as it does in my area right about now, I like to reset the torque on my bolt on neck guitars to avoid this type of stress crack. There are other factors. Just going through life as a guitar puts stresses on it from normal playing to moving around from one place to another, the occasional ooops.

Either way, I wouldn’t worry about that one.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

If you hear hollow tapping .. the finish has not only cracked but lifted from the wood.
    If you want to avoid potential big chips breaking off then get 'Thin CA' adhesive (that's not thinning CA, Thin CA is a type) and it will wick into the crack and under the finish. It wicks like high proof alcohol. Be careful not to soak it into the neck to body joint or you'll have a set neck.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  7. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

Take the neck off and reassure yourself.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

What jvin248 said, but also what BerkshireDuncan said. A tiny bit of water-thin CA should stabilize it, but it's a repair best done with the neck off.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This often comes about, after the headstock has sustained a hit. This is why I don't want the neck to pocket connection excruciatingly tight. One needs IMO a little room for impact attenuation.

I invite the O.P. to look at some of the previous discussions around this subject, using the Advanced Search function. Sometimes right now is the time to act, to clean all the crud out of the pocket and off the underside of the heel surface, and also open up the holes thru the MIM body to 11/64ths inches. It may end up never mattering one bit - but it could prevent a genuine crack in the body at some point in the future IF the guitar were to be roughhoused or get knocked over hard, in the future.

Peegoo likes this.
  10. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You'll have that. Finish crack. Tends to happen more with thick finishes. Patina...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  11. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Poly finish crack, I've got a few of those, I've just left them alone.

12. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I don't know that I've ever had a guitar where the finish didn't crack in places at some point.

Yesterday, a local luthier was showing me the first guitar he had finished, a Strat. He had deliberately put the nitro on thick, put the body in the freezer, and then used a heat gun on it to get multiple cracks throughout the finish. It looked good to me, just like a guitar that had aged, and not stupid fake like a lot of relics.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  13. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It's like that little door ding you get in the side of your new car.

It makes you cray-zee for a few days but after a few weeks you forget it's there.

A guitar with no scars has no stories to tell.

Rock on!

14. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

It's "patina" ;) In 70 years it'll likely be covered with this sort of "crazing". Nothing to worry about IMO. Rock on!

15. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have the exact same thing, hasn't changed in 15 years

dlew919 likes this.
  16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yup, looks like the typical finish crack that happens often in that spot. I try not to look there.

dlew919 and boris bubbanov like this.
  17. ImGrand

ImGrand TDPRI Member

Thanks for your replies

Im now a bit more relaxed as I know that those neck pocket cracks are a relatively common thing.

I think I will do it like this because the most say it’s nothing to worry about or a worse thing and probably just keep sometimes a look on it to see if it spreads or something. If it should be the case then i can still try to fix it / stabilize it, because I don’t wanna make it look worse or something if everything is fine and it’s unnecessary.

I just don’t want the finish to come off or that it spreads or something because I really like the blue color of my Tele.

but I think I will also get that thin ca adhesive just in case if it could be needed.

Anyway could someone recommend a good brand for the glue or which specifications or similar I have especially to look for when buying it ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.